Violent Video Games Removed From Rest Areas

HardOCP News

[H] News
Massachusetts has narrowly averted a major tragedy by taking the brave action of removing violent video games from bathrooms. Who knows what would have happened if those terrible games were left there another minute. :rolleyes:

Just outside the rest rooms was a young man pointing a life-sized machine gun at one of the plaza’s video game machines, firing rapidly and with a loud rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat sound. The image of the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School immediately came to mind, and we were struck by the possibility that someone from the Newtown community, driving east for the Christmas holiday, might stumble across this scene.

"Just outside the rest rooms was a young man pointing a life-sized machine gun at one of the plaza’s video game machines, firing rapidly and with a loud rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat sound. The image of the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School immediately came to mind, and we were struck by the possibility that someone from the Newtown community, driving east for the Christmas holiday, might stumble across this scene."

This may be one of the dumbest quotes I've ever read.

I guess I have to accept that for every intelligent self respecting person out there, there are two people that would be considered un-intelligent and incapable of properly taking care of themselves in a socially acceptable manner. . . So I guess it's only a matter of time until society devolves into a purely populist government that is there to tend to the majority that are not able to exist on their own merits.

Uh-oh, I may have spoken too soon. Here's another gem from the linked article:

"We looked at this request as sort of common sense ... in light of the proximity to Newtown — proximity in terms of both time and distance," Lavoie said.

I don't even...

I think there is too much violence in video games and on TV, but if it lead to murdering people we'd all be dead.

If we could build a time machine to 1920 and give people newspapers form 2013, this would be averted.

If we could build a time machine to 1920 and give people newspapers form 2013, this would be averted.

True ... they could ban the video games at the same time they banned alcohol ... make it a twofer :p

Uh-oh, I may have spoken too soon. Here's another gem from the linked article:

"We looked at this request as sort of common sense ... in light of the proximity to Newtown — proximity in terms of both time and distance," Lavoie said.

I don't even...

Lavoie... has brain damage, i think.

This state makes me sick. My state is run by a bunch of stupid hippies with nothing better to do than waste their time on shit like this.

I cannot comprehend the stupid.

Please, sterilize the reality of life so as not to offend anyone. Ban clothing with offensive text and music that is insensitive.

Good thing they removed that violent game, then all went home and watched the glorification of violent crimes on the news. We have dozens of television shows and hundreds of movies that are far more violent that video games.

Remember everyone! As long as you are watching someone else do it, that's fine. If you control a character that does something, that's absolutely wrong and completely terrible.

Wait, that means that the writers of all these shows and movies are in control of the 'virtual' characters within them. This means that we need to ban writing of media that involves the violent treatment of fictional characters!!! (Yes, it really is that stupid)

Get off my lawn

"Just outside the rest rooms was a young man pointing a life-sized machine gun at one of the plaza’s video game machines, firing rapidly and with a loud rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat sound. The image of the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School immediately came to mind, and we were struck by the possibility that someone from the Newtown community, driving east for the Christmas holiday, might stumble across this scene."

This may be one of the dumbest quotes I've ever read.

Agreed!

I want to puke, or punch this person in the face.

I'm talking about the other thing from 1920.

I guess I missed that day in history class ... the big events I see for 1920 were bombing of Wallstreet, first radio station, women get the vote, and prohibition ... please note that I broke my sarcasm bone a few years ago and it has never been the same since :p

Tragically, a violent show came on TV the same day which someone from the Newtown community saw. How dare they.

I guess I missed that day in history class ... the big events I see for 1920 were bombing of Wallstreet, first radio station, women get the vote, and prohibition ... please note that I broke my sarcasm bone a few years ago and it has never been the same since :p

I think he meant women getting the vote.

I always liked Brave Fire Fighters better than Timecrisis.. and using hoses on things is more rest stop appropriate.

Wow. So they banned the violent video games at rest stops AND are doing a violent video game buyback, neither of which have anything to do with the true cause of the tragedy. Both are resulting in a massive waste in taxpayer money which could have been used for any number of things to better help citizens.

Commit a crime with your bare hands, it's your fault.
Commit a crime with a knife, it's your fault.
Commit a crime with a car, it's your fault.
Commit a crime with explosives, it's your fault.
Commit a crime with a gun, it's the gun's fault?

I just don't understand at all. . .

I still blame Duck Hunt.

I'm surprised at the backlash, but then again not really given the general profile of this community.

There is no need for these types of games in public places. There are many families who don't want their children exposed to games in which you use machine guns to kill people.

There is no need for these types of games in public places. There are many families who don't want their children exposed to games in which you use machine guns to kill people.
There doesn't have to be a need for anything in America, merely a WANT. If people WANT to play these games, then they are free to do so.

There are many muslim families in the United States that don't want their children to see woman with their hair uncovered, yet alone their midrif or legs. Fortunately, you have the right to be offended, but you also have the right to STFU and let other people exercise their own liberties.

This is why you will never have "common sense". :D

In all seriousness, when are we going to ban the taco wrappers? They don't hold crap and I almost crash every time I try to eat one while talking on my phone, merging on the freeway, changing my navigation route and disciplining my kids in the back seat! I mean, the government should DO something!!

Commit a crime with a gun, it's the video game's fault?

fixed that for you!

Huh?! Is there an epidemic of retarded sweeping the country? WTF is wrong with people?

I'm offended that they are that fucking stupid. So, to not offend people, they just need to shut the fuck up.

So I guess it's only a matter of time until society devolves into a purely populist government that is there to tend to the majority that are not able to exist on their own merits.

Isn't the whole idea of a democracy that the most popular government does what's most popular? :p

There doesn't have to be a need for anything in America, merely a WANT. If people WANT to play these games, then they are free to do so.
Hmm, not until the law kicks in.

There are many muslim families in the United States that don't want their children to see woman with their hair uncovered, yet alone their midrif or legs. Fortunately, you have the right to be offended, but you also have the right to STFU and let other people exercise their own liberties.

Except that exposing body hair is not purported to contribute to gun related crime.

If everyone was allowed to exercise their own liberties no matter what the consequences America would be even worse off than it is now.

Hmm, not until the law kicks in.

Except that exposing body hair is not purported to contribute to gun related crime.

If everyone was allowed to exercise their own liberties no matter what the consequences America would be even worse off than it is now.

What law?

Exposing body parts in strict muslim countries is treated as a direct invitation for rape. There has never been an established link between violent games and gun crime.

What liberties? Like being able to play video games?

This is getting crazy, I wonder how far idiots will push to ban guns and video games.

Back