Violent Video Games Quote of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Somebody give the author of this article a cigar. It is hard to believe this much common sense is coming from a mainstream media outlet. :eek:

When horrible things happen, we look for simple answers, for easy rationalizations — ways to essentially say, Oh, this is why so-and-so did such-and-such. We want the “why” right now, when the spotlight’s on. We want the dots connected, and we want them to correspond with our suspicions about new, ultra-popular activities, like dancing to jazz music in the 1920s, or reading comics in the 1950s, or listening to rock ‘n’ roll in the 1960s, or playing Dungeons & Dragons in the 1980s — or playing violent video games pretty much from the 1990s on.

Wow, that's downright...rational. This sort of logic has no place in today's society.

Counterstrike Source and World of Warcraft made me the mild mannered positive contributor to society that I am today.

I'm surprised The Party hasn't already contacted the Ministry of Truth and corrected this article because we all know video games are the root cause of all things evil.

;)

Honestly the "violence" is not more than on the movie screens and on TV.
(Notice, they never point fingers at movies or TV)
Why are video games violent? Well, any game that depicted a person doing something was ultimately violent. From text adventures to modern games that depict characters in the flesh because of the advancements made in hardware. If it isn't a "struggle for life" in some respect it will not a compelling,visceral gaming experience. And if it isn't that it is a waste of time for most.
It is almost like they expect computer gaming to be one of those "grow a garden" indie games that appeals to Grandmas and little girls.

I'm surprised The Party hasn't already contacted the Ministry of Truth and corrected this article because we all know video games are the root cause of all things evil.

;)

That and Bill Gates, Oprah, and Martha Stewart.

The root of all evil I say.

But seriously, I feel like going out and killing hundreds because of Battlefield 3 made me do it!! Ohh yes that's Not me thinking that, it's the game!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, when are we going to start taking responsibility for our own actions when it comes to things?

So yes, Kudo's to the author.

The ESRB rating are now there for a reason.

If parents are going to buy and/or allow their kids to play games rated above the child's physical or mental category rating and then try to blame the game dev when little Johnny or Suzy breaks a windshield with a big rock, takes an axe to someone's garage door, or beat the ever lovin' shit out of the neighbor's kid for absolutely no provoked reason, then tough shit.

Then again, bad parents have been letting their chips off the 'ole blocks do this kind of thing, well, pretty much since forever ago. The PARENTS are to blame in about 99.9% of these reports, imo. The other 0.01% is reserved for the children that posses real uncrontrollable mental probems, like just being born a psychopath.

Back