Vinpok Split - 15.6" IPS , 10pt Cap Touchscreen, HDMI / USB-C , portable monitor

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness

edit: The forum Media capture for IndieGoGo doesn't seem to be working here.. here is the address with a space in it.

indiegogo DOT com/projects/vinpok-split-best-on-the-go-touch-screen-monitor/

What does everyone think of this? As far as portable monitors go, the IndieGoGo price of $199 seems to be pretty reasonable , considering it is IPS 15.6" 1080p, 10 point touch screen, has HDMI and USB 3.1 TypeC connections + audio out, and can be connected with a single Type-C cable etc. Its nice they add speakers, even if they're rather small, but the 3.5mm audio out seems to be another alternative. They show it clipped onto laptop or desktop monitors to quickly add another monitor, used stand alone for game consoles like PS4 / Nintendo Switch, and other tasks.

Edit: You can power it either with a single USB 3.1 Type C (ie any one with DisplayPort spec built in) which also serves as the display input or you can use a separate USB 3.0 port > TypeC as the power and then the other Mini-HDMI or USB-C for video.

The touchscreen is a nice function given that they claim the whole thing supports Win/Mac/Linux , so testing out a new system/config without having to set up KB/M could be nice. Accessories include a $9 clip for attaching it to a laptop/desktop display and a $20 kickstand - given how far this had been funded, I can hope that one or more of these will be included in the base price by now, but they should be updating stretch goals in the next day or two.

I do have a couple of questions regarding input lag and the compatibility of the capacitive touch screen I'll have to ask (ie will it be natively supported under all OSes they';ve noted including Linux).

I've been considering picking up a a secondary monitor for quite some time and I'm wondering if this is worth it or not. On one hand a stationary monitor will be larger, but it won't have the touch screen, and IPS / small bezels / USB-C / lack of power adapter necessity etc.. are less likely to be found or more likely to increase the price, I figure. At least as far as portable specific monitors are concerned (ie the one by Hori made primarily for console gaming), most of them seem to have lesser specs / features especially for the price (ie TN panels, no touchscreen, no USB-C / required DC power supplies etc), but maybe I've missed something.

So does everyone think this is worth looking into? If not ,is there something that fills its niche better for a portable high quality monitor or a better solution for a stationary secondary monitor instead with comparable or better specs (minus touchscreen etc)?

Last edited:
There're a few 15.6" 1080p IPS, everything in over USB3 monitors already on the market, if you don't need touchscreen functionality. However I was only able to find one at that resolution on Amazon that was touch capable for $220. At the $200 indiegogo price this at least looks competitive, but the $400 release price seems unreasonably high even if the panel spects (brightness/contrast) are slightly better.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Im with DanNeely if touchscreen is not required there are a lot of choices for portable monitors and at cheaper prices.

IMHO, I dont know why anyone would need a touchscreen on a secondary monitor for portable usage.

I imagine that it is there as a secondary input device, so one doesn't have to hook up KB/M especially either using it as swapped between a number of devices, as a solo display on the go, using it connected to a tablet/phone type device etc. There are also edge cases that I can see desirability (ie certain games/simulations it may be nice to move cockpit controls onto a touch screen - Star Citizen, perhaps Elite Dangerous, flight sims etc), but I suppose it is all what is of most interest vs price.

Without the touchscreen format, is there anything of similar or better quality (ie 1080p IPS w/ similar specs, small bezels USB-C / HDMI , able to be powered via USB3.0 or 3.1 and does not require a DC input, etc.. ) at a similar or ideally even larger size? Much of what I've seen even without the touchscreen is typically around $200-ish, so I was curious. I know there are lots of smaller monitors, but seeing something in the 15 - 24" range with similar specs, small bezels, and other features seems to be over a wide price range whereas comparable or better features can be equally or more expensive, with cheaper options lacking quality. Any suggestions?

Im with DanNeely if touchscreen is not required there are a lot of choices for portable monitors and at cheaper prices.

IMHO, I dont know why anyone would need a touchscreen on a secondary monitor for portable usage.

Probably not all in a single package, but there are markets for portable single cable (video and power) displays, and smaller touchscreens both for making kiosk type devices and for doing development/testing of touchscreen software from a desktop. For the latter a small screen sitting beside your keyboard is going to be a lot more ergonomic to reach than a larger desktop monitor at a traditional height/distance. And for something that's a small overall market, designing a single product that can cover both sets of use cases can make more sense than having 2 different limited items.

As a side note, my biggest criticism with this class of product (and more generally the 15" 1080p laptop) is that 140 DPI generally means 125% scaling which makes artifacts from zooming non-DPI aware applications particularly apparent. I really wish more midrange 15.6" devices would come with 2560x1440 or 3200x1800 displays, 180/220 DPI is high enough that plays much nicer with scaling legacy software while being cheaper and less battery consuming than 4k (GPU has to work a bit harder, and the higher number of wires and transistors in the screen itself block more of the backlight requiring it to run brighter for an equal amount of light to come out of the display).

Last edited:
I'm a weirdo, but no vesa mount is a deal breaker for me.

I have a 27" 1080P above my triple 24" monitors and 90% of the reason is to make it easier to run HDMI audio - the other 10% is to do temp monitoring or listen to youtube when I'm using my other screens.

Problem is - a 27 is just too big and I don't like to look up at it.

I want to get a little 11-15" 1080P screen and actually mount it UNDER my center screen.

Touch capabilities would make that even more handy.

The market for these mini-panels is very confusing and it's hard to really know what you're getting.

It seems to be either cheap chinese panels in basic metal casings with all the ports on the side for around $120 or more refined designs that run $250-400

None of these are designed like a regular monitor only smaller.

DoubleTap this is what you are looking for http://a.co/d/aIWqDgU

I have a bunch of guys carrying these around when we need to be at a customer site for a go live.

DoubleTap this is what you are looking for http://a.co/d/aIWqDgU

I have a bunch of guys carrying these around when we need to be at a customer site for a go live.

If it had an HDMI port, it would be ideal. Without HDMI, it's useless to me.

It's not that I really need a 4th screen as much as I need a head on the HDMI audio pathway.

But yeah - I forgot to mention this annoying class of monitor that is USB only.

USB3 is fast enough to run a 1080p monitor (or 2 of them at once like I do at work) without any visible artifacts from the compression needed to make the signal fit.

Back