Vine Isn’t Growing And Most Of Its Top Executives Have Left

HardOCP News

[H] News
Everyone seems stumped as to why Vine isn't doing well. I have an easy answer for you, when is the last time you used Vine? Hell, when is the last time you watched a Vine video? It was "cool" when it first came out but the appeal wore off pretty quick.

Nearly all of the top product and business leaders at Vine, Twitter’s three-year-old short-form video service, have left the company in the past four months — many of them in the past few weeks. And while Vine remains culturally interesting and an “important” part of Twitter’s strategy, it seems to be struggling. Vine’s recent executive departures include its head of engineering, head of business development and operations, head of user experience, head of editorial and all three of its product managers. Almost all of the departures coincide with Vine’s appointment of a new general manager, Hannah Donovan, which was announced at the end of March. Donovan started in May.

Heh, I never even heard of it! Since I've never used twitter that probably makes sense.

i'm no fan of any kind of social media, but i do come across some amusing things. vine is perfect for things like this:

This made my entire month, thanks for that share. I laughed and cried. I am always in trouble for making all the toys at the store make their noises and i found this epic.

What is Vine again?

I'm actually not being facetious. I can't seem to remember.
Its an app that got popular like two years ago and has slowly been dieing. It lets you record videos but limits them to like 5-10 sec.

Its an app that got popular like two years ago and has slowly been dieing. It lets you record videos but limits them to like 5-10 sec.

So, it's like the Twitter for videos? :p

IMHO, nothing that is worth saying can be said in 140 characters or less.

Yep pretty much, and it spawned a few "Vine Stars" ive seen some in commercials and crappy tv shows on TruTv. Same reason why twitter is dying, there is already something out there that does what it does and better.

My girlfriend used to watch stuff on there all the time, haven't seen her use it in awhile though.

bummer, maybe youtube will buy them once it gets really cheap.. There's some hilarious content creators that make good use of the format

They're used on some NFL fan sites to avoid paying licensing fees. Other than that, I wouldn't know what it is either.

actually it was pretty huge like last year.....but I honestly only opened it maybe 1 or 2 times so far this year......actually. If I deleted the app, I probably wouldn't miss it. All the people on it are now doing anything and everything for more views......it's kinda sad.

Read Steve Martin's tweets. They're great (though when I scrolled through it, he seemed to recycle them after a few months).

Read Steve Martin's tweets. They're great (though when I scrolled through it, he seemed to recycle them after a few months).
Thats just his social media person slipping. You really think all these celebs sit on twitter? Well at least the older ones dont. They have PR people that post for them.

I remember watching one of those ridiculously popular "top vines 20xx" videos on youtube and wondering "wtf is a vine... ew, this is garbage"

Thats just his social media person slipping. You really think all these celebs sit on twitter? Well at least the older ones dont. They have PR people that post for them.
Hardly matters, but it's also quite possible that he has a set of tweets he's worked on overtime and he just posts one while drinking coffee in the morning. Once you have the text (and I think he wrote the original text) the actual posting is 10 seconds out of your day.

More web 2.0 nonsense. They basically invented a Twitter-clone focused on video snippets and are wondering why it isn't doing better? Why use an entire site with this kind of focus/limit, when you can use any choice of microblogging platform and place .gif , .gifv, or .WebM (the latter, being a nice advance in the technology) within as you like? Though the more I think on it, what becomes popular these days tends to be some mix of those who are either A) First, or first with a "twist" of some sort and B) Randomly blessed by the lowest common denominator' fickle ways. The expectation was that millions of teenage girls, college bros, and other such demographics would have latched onto Vine as a new way to put their entire meatspace existence online, sharing nearly every thought and action in real time to the delight of big data customers everywhere.

Did it fall through because Twitter/Facebook/Snapchat etc...were there to provide likely the same service? Or was it simply the fickle thumbs of fate pressing away at those smartphone keypads because for whatever reason, Vine didn't grab enough "cool" market share to hit critical mass? Either way, unless it is picked up by another firm it will be yet another footnote in the history of social media where success and failure are beholden to the most mercurial whims of the most mercurial aspects of the populace.

The majority of what I saw was staged but made to look like it was impromptu. It was obviously not.

There were a few funny ones. But, way too many people were forced trying to be funny and it didn't work. I have a couple friends that are like that. They just try too hard and it doesn't work. For those that it does work for, it's excellent. They are truly funny people. Just hard to pick them out of a crowd of wanna-be's.

Service had potential. But, I watched a lot of them on YouTube (Vine Compilations). Kind of defeated the purpose. I let someone else curate the material and give it to me rather than me watch a bunch of shit waiting for that good one.

Market is saturated with social media apps. Click a "share this" link and the page is a mile long.

Back