ViewSonic VX2770SMH-LED 27"

AMD-T64

Limp Gawd
I just recently purchased the ViewSonic VX2770 and definitely am not happy. I am far from a professional on monitors, but have tried everything I know of to make this monitor look acceptable, without success. I mostly spend my time gaming or surfing the web, not much else.

I know there are kind of mixed opinions on this monitor, but I thought surely an IPS monitor would be superior to my older Hanns·G HG-281DPB, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I originally hooked this thing up with an HDMI cable and it looked terrible (almost like I was in the wrong resolution, but confirmed I was in 1920x1080). After 30 minutes and messing with settings I switched over to DVI and it looks much better, however the Hanns G was much brighter and vibrant and I had zero ghosting or dead pixels, but I can't say the same for the VX2770. I have messed around with every monitor and catalyst setting I can find, and cannot make this screen look any where near as nice as the Hanns G, even though it was only a WUXGA.

If you anyone can provide any tips for setting up this monitor, or let me know something I've overlooked, I would be greatly appreciative. Otherwise, this monitor is definitely going back.

i have this monitor. here's what you need to do:

- if you want to connect the monitor using hdmi, download and run the nvidia rgb full range toggler. nvidia cards drive all hdmi displays at tv levels by default, causing monitors to look washed out with shitty contrast. run the utility, click 'set full range', and reboot. (you have an nvidia card listed in your sig, but then you mentioned 'catalyst setting' in your post?)

- in the 'contrast/brightness' menu, leave the contrast at 70. if the menu's grayed out, it's because the monitor is in srgb mode and brightness/contrast are fixed (see below). i have my monitor set to 35 brightness, this brings measured luminance to 140 cd/m2 (with my calibrated monitor profile, without it it will be a bit higher). the monitor at max brightness approaches 300 cd/m2 which should be more than enough for most people.

- in the 'color adjust' menu, set it to 'user color' and tweak the rgb settings to whatever you prefer. i calibrate all of my displays, you can try my calibrated profile if you want. with rgb set to 100/100/100, the profile brings my monitor to 6500k. it may or may not on yours.

- in the 'manual image adjust' menu, disable dynamic contrast and overscan, and set eco mode to 'standard'.

if you've done all of this and still can't get the monitor to look good, there could be something wrong with your unit.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't updated my sig in a while. I'm running a 6950 now.

I will try all your other recommendations and let you know how it goes. Away from home at the moment but will give it a shot.

Back