Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

It's not really backlight bleeding, it's something to due with the coating on the screen. Some people are more sensitive to it than others...

It bothered me at first but that was because I was too close to the screen. The further you are away from the screen the less this effect can be seen.

Do the Dell 2007FPW and thet really expensive NEC have this problem as well? I read the Dell had a banding issue but I have not read anyone's post complaining about its backlight.

Man this sucks... It really is bothersome... I will try adjusting the brightness some more, but I doubt that will work.

Do some of these viewsonics have more of this problem than others?

Now that my 30 day warranty is up with buy.com, any I can get my money back (besides selling it), even if I have to pay for restocking? What are my options with Viewsonic?

Thanks again!

Yeah i don't really dig the sparkly reflection lol... but I am used to it now. I still love it...

There is no restocking fee at buy.com

Well... I lost track of when I ordered it and 30 days from order date went by so they wont take it back... at least the website doesn't give me the option of returning it (RMA link is not there)

Will it make a difference if I call them at buy.com?

I might consider just selling it... I bought it for $340... i'd hate loosing out on it since i've only been using it for a couple of weeks. And with all the rebates and stuff going on now, no one is going to want to pay close to $340...

I'd like to get a Westinghouse 37" 1080p anyways so I wouldn't need this...

dunno... any other recommendations?

Thanks yet again! hehe

RomanMtz said:
Do the Dell 2007FPW and thet really expensive NEC have this problem as well? I read the Dell had a banding issue but I have not read anyone's post complaining about its backlight.

Man this sucks... It really is bothersome... I will try adjusting the brightness some more, but I doubt that will work.

Do some of these viewsonics have more of this problem than others?

Now that my 30 day warranty is up with buy.com, any I can get my money back (besides selling it), even if I have to pay for restocking? What are my options with Viewsonic?

Thanks again!

They all have this problem, its just a trait with the panel and the antiglare coating which Viewsonic aint gonna do anything about.

Dekarx said:
Help please?
I have a ghosting and calibration issue.

Ghosting: When I move the camera fast enough ibn games like WoW it blurs. When I move windows on the deskstop slowly, its just fine, very fast, it'S just fine, at medium speed, the window blurs.

And how do you calibrate it? I tried following some settings posted and I ust have gotten it very wrong cuz it was awfull. The writing doesn't seem that sharp yet either, and I do use clearfonts and have cranked up the sharpness a little, but cranking it up too much doesn't seem to give very good results graphic-wise.

I also saw some gradient tools or something posted, and some cool videos(one with dolphins when I read the whole thread b4 buying the monitor, and I can't seem to find them again if anyone know where they are. It's also my first LCD monitor so it might take some getting used to. I'd just like to have that "That's just perfect" feel when I look at it and be as giddy as a schoolgirl when I play games and do things. Widescreen owns though.

Anyone else have that blurry problem? When I move a window around very slowly I could read it in motion, very fast text looks still crisp and clear, everything in between(like normal dragging speed) makes the content of the window blurry. I'd like to if it's normal or not to know if I should RMA it. I'm installing a shooter see how it performs when I look around.

EDIT: Just played a few minutes of BF2 and I wonder if I won't get headaches playing longer.

yeah that sucks about the blurring... when I play guild wars it blurs when I move around. haha....

All lcd's blur to some degree. Its a tradeoff vs crt for now. (Until they get the response times down to 1ms or less probably). There is a widescreen monitor review somewhere that shows this monitor and others in its class. I don't have the link handy at the moment, sorry.
The review shows that little cartoon car test in screenshots on each monitor, showing the afterimage on it. It also shows a text afterimage test. All the current LCDs have this problem , but on some it is more subdued than others. The VX2025wm is one of the better ones. The NEC is better but still has the effect, and also has twinkling on some videos, etc.. and costs over twice as much.

By the way, in response to the guy that said his white colors were off.. try 9300K color setting in the monitor controls. Yesterday I switched to that and I'm re-tweaking the rest of my settings to correspond with it. Before that my whites were alittle brown or yellow at 6500K.

I discovered the sRGB color profile the other day. It seems to offer much more contrast and purer more vibrant colors. Looks REALLY nice for games and movies...

I was playing around this morning and discovered that you can enable a hidden service menu if you power on while simultaneously pressing the 2 button.

Playing in the service menu on most monitors can result in severly b0rking your monitor if you do not know what you are doing. So if you do this be aware that if you screw something up it's your own fault. :p

You'll know you've done it right because the power light will be amber and the OSD menu will show up in the top left corner of the screen with an additional selectable menu item at the bottom labeled "F".

Here is what my service menu looks like:

Here is a video illustrating the service menu. (9.3MB, Windows Media)

• AUTO LEVEL is selectable, but you can't change it. Unsure of what the PASS and FAIL refer to.
  • GAIN and OFFSET appear to be status display items only and are not selectable or alterable.
  • The SELECT and COLOR items basically allow you to alter the built-in color temperature profiles. You basically SELECT the profile and change the R,G, and B values of the COLOR item. Note that doing this appears to permanently change the color temperature values in the normal OSD menu. If you plan to change this you should WRITE DOWN the original RGB values in case a factory reset doesn't bring them back.
  • Burnin is an interesting function, might be possible to get rid of stuck pixels using this. As seen in the video enabling the burnin option basically starts the panel on an (endless?) cycle between 8 colors at full brightness. While in burnin mode pressing the menu button to clear the menu results in a counter of some sort in the center of the screen. (also seen in the video)
  • I'm unsure of what exactly the item labeled SSC is, but it is adjustable. It doesn't appear to have any effect on the monitor or it's behavior when changed.

I have tried pressing 2 while powering on before, but I didn't realized there's a new "F" submenu there (I thought it only moves the menu to the top left). Nice find :)

Added: I can't figure out what SSC does neither. I was hoping it might stand for "screen scaling", but unfortunately, no.

g0sh i can't wait till it comes 3 more days! when i get it ill take some pictures of EQ2 and Quake 4

this being my first lcd and i have no clue about them...is there anyway to make this panel glossy...i mean the new asus uses the same panel as this display?

Mh0user said:
this being my first lcd and i have no clue about them...is there anyway to make this panel glossy...i mean the new asus uses the same panel as this display?

Nope, it is what it is. I suppose you could stick a pane of glass in front of it, but your still gonna see the antiglare coating no matter what.

Got my replacement! I'm very lucky because when I bought it last month it has 1 dead pixel and after talking to the manager he replaced it with a brandnew one! now it's dead pixel free!

One more thing, in case you have a Xenon830 dvd player you can try to use the vga connection straight to your LCD..
That works for me! nice!

man this thread is 63 pages long lol. i cleared all my desktop icons off. and created quick launch instead. now it looks much better :) especially with my pimpin king kong wall paper :D

Quick warning to anyone getting this monitor:

Using tweaked drivers for your videocard can be dangerous if you have this monitor connected via DVI. For instance, I had the ForceWare Ultras installed (I'm not sure which version) from Guru3d, and decided I would uninstall them to try out the latest betas from nVidia's site. What actually happened was when I uninstalled them, its more-thorough uninstall process effectively rendered the DVI port on my VX2025wm useless, and sent me back into 8-bit color mode.

A reformat solved my color issue (no big deal, one must expect the odd problem with tweaked drivers), but after weeks of trying different methods to get the DVI port working on my ViewSonic (along with sending it back to ViewSonic for repairs!), it remains broken, and I am continuing negotiations with their lacking support department.

In short, please note that tweaked videocard drivers can, in fact, sometimes permanently destroy seperate components if you aren't completely knowledable on what you're doing. This is not to bash the ForceWare Ultra driver sets, as I believe them to still be some of the higher-quality tweaked drivers around, but just to serve as a warning to those who may not realize the possible danger involved. :(

Am buying this monitor this friday thanks to this thread BUT if iI dont like it witch I highly doubt I will return it with my 30 day guarrantee and get the VX922 ;)

This whole thread really ownz

This is a known issue with some nvidia cards and the VX2025WM (and several other monitors). The EDID information in your monitor has become corrupt.

Have you tried using the DVI_Recover tool?

animasaki said:

Using tweaked drivers for your videocard can be dangerous if you have this monitor connected via DVI. For instance, I had the ForceWare Ultras installed (I'm not sure which version) from Guru3d, and decided I would uninstall them to try out the latest betas from nVidia's site. What actually happened was when I uninstalled them, its more-thorough uninstall process effectively rendered the DVI port on my VX2025wm useless, and sent me back into 8-bit color mode.

A reformat solved my color issue (no big deal, one must expect the odd problem with tweaked drivers), but after weeks of trying different methods to get the DVI port working on my ViewSonic (along with sending it back to ViewSonic for repairs!), it remains broken, and I am continuing negotiations with their lacking support department.

In short, please note that tweaked videocard drivers can, in fact, sometimes permanently destroy seperate components if you aren't completely knowledable on what you're doing. This is not to bash the ForceWare Ultra driver sets, as I believe them to still be some of the higher-quality tweaked drivers around, but just to serve as a warning to those who may not realize the possible danger involved. :(

(Shipped from Memphis, TN)
Tracking Number Issued: 6/26/2006 7:21:58 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Description Quantity
24-116-381 MNTR VWSNC|LCD 20" 8msDVI VX2025WM 1

ooooo boy it is coming!

animasaki said:
Oh yes. More times than I care to remember, both CD and floppy version, on three different computers.

Yay. :(

I also had to use it. It worked but i dont like how it now thinks i have 2 Monitors and now is known as Digtal Device. :( It seems to only affect nVidia cards 6800+. My friend has a FX pci card and it works. Kinda piss me off a bit when i had to use VGA for about 3 weeks then finding out about DVI_recover.

ReDgUaRd008 said:
I also had to use it. It worked but i dont like how it now thinks i have 2 Monitors and now is known as Digtal Device. :( It seems to only affect nVidia cards 6800+. My friend has a FX pci card and it works. Kinda piss me off a bit when i had to use VGA for about 3 weeks then finding out about DVI_recover.

Uninstall your drivers, run driver cleaner, and then re-install them and your displays should be detected properly once again.

animasaki said:
Oh yes. More times than I care to remember, both CD and floppy version, on three different computers.

Yay. :(

Yikes. :(

RMA time...

animasaki said:

Hi just a newbie here and before I read your post I actually done what is stated in your post..

sadly I don't have any idea if I have damaged or something like that happened in my LCD..

Is there a particular way I would find it? and what about 8bit? how would I know that my LCD is running 8 bit or so..

thanks for the info!

Trust me, j3ffry, if it was running in that low of a color setting, you'd definitely know it. Your whole screen would look like a garbled mess of colors. Also, the 8 bit color problem happened at the same time as my DVI port going out, so it was a part of a number of issues, resulting in my needing to reformat completely.

In other words, if you had my problem, you'd know it. Unless I missunderstood your question.

animasaki said:
Trust me, j3ffry, if it was running in that low of a color setting, you'd definitely know it. Your whole screen would look like a garbled mess of colors. Also, the 8 bit color problem happened at the same time as my DVI port going out, so it was a part of a number of issues, resulting in my needing to reformat completely.

In other words, if you had my problem, you'd know it. Unless I missunderstood your question.

I'm currently here in the office.. I'll double check my monitor for some problems(i hope there's none).

thanks for the warning bro! I'll keep you posted so that everyone can be warned..

thanks!

Blue Falcon said:
Uninstall your drivers, run driver cleaner, and then re-install them and your displays should be detected properly once again.

I tried it no go. It still thinks i have two Monitors. During boot up it says No Signal thinking its the seconded monitor. Pics.

For those who ordered from NewEgg.

Do you know what warehouse they ship it out of?

Because if it is on the East Coast I would get it rather quickly.
Like in 1 or 2 days.

Mastrhiggins said:

Like in 1 or 2 days.

I live in North Carolina, and most all of my packages from Newegg come from New Jersey.

However, the monitor came from California :(

Mastrhiggins said:

Like in 1 or 2 days.

My tracking info from when I ordered mine almost a month ago shows the origin location as being Baldwin Park, CA

When I move windows around on my screen to the right or left the vertical lines break around the window. Can anyone of you guys try something for me just open something like My Documents or anything and move it around to the right and left. Do you notice alot of jagged lines? I can't believe I am having this problem with this and it is not doing it at all in gaming. I have an old 15" Dell LCD that does this very slightly but not near as bad as this.

If I understand the broken lines you are seeing correctly - the window frames also do this on my magnavox 19" CRT which I happen to be using at the moment, so I doubt it has anything to do with your lcd. This only happens when I move the windows frantically back and forth.

I think its probably just an artifact of the window animations. There are visual effects in Control Panel->System->Performance tab, Visual Effects tab. It might be related to the overlay stuff in the video card drivers too.

When I disabled "Show windows contents while dragging", moving the window would actually move an empty frame outline. This outline would remain 'empty' until I released the mouse button, when it would move the contents of the original window into it. Interestingly moving the empty window frame spastically back and forth also made the frame border line break up.

I'm guessing its a windows glitch few people would notice.

herbalicous said:
When I move windows around on my screen to the right or left the vertical lines break around the window. Can anyone of you guys try something for me just open something like My Documents or anything and move it around to the right and left. Do you notice alot of jagged lines? I can't believe I am having this problem with this and it is not doing it at all in gaming. I have an old 15" Dell LCD that does this very slightly but not near as bad as this.

THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL.

It's weird that this topic is being rehashed so much the past week. It's totally normal behavior in any version of Windows since Windows 95 and is nothing to be concerned about.

If you don't like it, look in the 'Effects' portion of the display control panel and untick the check box for 'Show window contents while dragging'

Back