Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

MrGuvernment said:
^^ dido, no ghosting at all here for me, playing most CS:S and DoD 1680x 1050 - all details max no aa or AF - 75mhz refresh and vsync on.

should'nt it be 60mhz refresh?

first, refresh rate is in hz, not mhz

second, did anybody ever find out for sure if this is an 8 bit or 6 bit panel? Im guessing 6, but 8 would be a nice bonus.

I think today is the day to pull the trigger on this one (at least for me..)

buy.com price $354.95 - $15 coupon - $30 to sign up with their credit card, + free shipping, no tax, final price of $309.95. Not bad for this monitor!

But I am a bit worried about my video card and DVI problems (BFG 7800gt).

As for this being a 6bit or 8bit panel, everything I found says 8 bit.

Yes I can confirm it is able to do 74Hz and it is an 8-bit panel.

And though, animasaki, reports that his never worked with DVI. There is a DVI Recovery utility that is able to help fix the powersaving issue that crops up with some Nvidia cards/drivers. :)

And about that refresh rate question... Windows forces all LCDs to 60 Hz regardless of their capabilities. You can disable it but there is a chance that it will damage your display if you set it too high, and face it some of you will. :p My advice is: if the game will play at over 60fps and you don't like the tearing, turn on more of the features, or enable Vsync. However, for the record, this monitor reports to the drivers that it is capable of 75 Hz at the native resolution of 1680x1050. So will it Really do 75 Hz? I don't frickin care!

sorry for the outburst!
l9iblush.gif

Actually, it DID work for the first couple of weeks. In fact, it worked great, right out of the box, with no drivers needed. My problem is that the DVI port on the monitor actually ended up breaking when I uninstalled some tweaked nVidia drivers (which I'll never be using again): the ForceWare Ultras found on Guru3d.

I think my case, where the DVI port is completely broken for some inexplicable reason, is extremely isolated. I'm RMAing it now, and I don't expect it to happen in the future. I'm the only one who has never been able to fix his DVI port, and neither of the ViewSonic techs even had any idea how it might have happened.

The current dilemma is whether ViewSonic has a good RMA system or not. We'll see...

standard141 said:
is the height adjustment really a problem? how high is it from the desk to the bottom of the monitor?
It's not an issue for me...

It's about 4" to the bottom of the bezel and about 5 3/4" to the bottom of the screen.

Well I took the plunge! Just ordered from newegg. Was going to do buy.com, but didnt feel like having another credit card just to save $30, and buy.com uses fedex ground for their free shipping, and the fedex ground driver here is an idiot! he mis-delivers my packages, and doesnt treat them well. UPS driver is a friend of mine, so for $13 more, 2 day delivery opposed to 7-10, and good handling, I think its worth it.

Another reason I chose newegg was actually the dead pixel policy. Newegg states "7 or more" to be defective, and even VS's policy is 10 or more, so it seemed like a no-brainer. Cant wait for this sucker to arrive! :D

Don't really know about Office Depot and Office Max, but Office Depot has it for $399 always and Office Max has a sale for $369. I almost got it, but still debating on the widescreen issue. I'm also looking at the new Samsung 215TW for $550. :eek:

You guys in the US or getting good prices on this screen, in the UK it sells for well over $500.
I'm just hoping mine has no dead pixels and minimal backlight problems.

Got my VX2025wm today and all I can say is WOW! :eek: It's big..
Ordered from Newegg last week.
No dead pixels, bright screen, Text looks awsome.
Even UPS couldn't destroy it :p the box looked like someone got mad and tried to stab it.
I thought for sure the lcd was dead.

Viewsonic is sounding like better deal, now they are adopting zero dead pixel policy. First for their business line and other lines soon after.

MrGuvernment said:
^^ dido, no ghosting at all here for me, playing most CS:S and DoD 1680x 1050 - all details max no aa or AF - 75mhz refresh and vsync on.

You're saying you are doing 1680x1050 at 75mhz through DVI port on this monitor?

animasaki said:
I3eyond, I would be dishonest if I said that there was no ghosting. However, I've had great quality CRTs up until this monitor, and honestly, I can't find more than a hint of it. There are plenty of things to think about before buying this monitor (such as the DVI port breaking with nVidia cards), but ghosting, thankfully, isn't one of them.

so you think i should get this monitor over the vx922?

and how frequent of an occurence is this dvi issue?

I3eyond,

Yep, I recommend it. Since there's no real ghosting to speak of, going to a smaller monitor simply for a lower refresh rate probably wouldn't make much sense. VX2025wm indeed.

As far as the frequency of the DVI issue, here's some more info:

- My DVI breaking issue, to my knowledge, was due to a mixed tweaked videocard driver uninstallation. Mine is the only case of such, and it seems to be permanent (hence my pending RMA.)

- The more common DVI issue that people seem to be having doesn't seem to occur too much, and even when it does occur, if you have the (easily found and made) DVI Recovery disk, you can pop that thing in, wait a few minutes, and you're back in business.

I wouldn't let either deter you. Just be careful if you ever want to try tweaked videocard drivers. This isn't the first time custom drivers have screwed up my comp. If you, say, used official drivers, or very reputable custom ones (say, Omegas for ATI cards), you won't run into my problem. :)

I haev my 2025 hooked upto my laptop that had Omega Radeon 6.3' installed - no probs :)

i think this is mainly an nvidia issue.....

Now, just because you personally haven't had the issue doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I've seen plenty of varied ATI cards have the problem, as well. Keep in mind that the majority of VX2025wm owners don't have this problem in the first place, and I with my GeForce 6800 had no problems at all, and only destroyed my port due to faulty driver uninstallation.

It's just something that happens. I'm glad you two haven't had any problems, though ;)

What is the pixel pitch on this screen? I've looked on newegg and viewsonic's website, but it doesn't say. Anyone know?

What does hacked resolution mean? Forgive me for my lack of knowledge here. I'm also looking at the monitor, but undecided at this point.

If you are trying to hack the resolution of a game, such as BF2 you would edit the shortcut.

Here you make it 1280 by 1024 by hacking the shortcuts target.You would add a few things after it.

"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

My monitor will be here tomorrow at this time. Quite excited! Assuming its not DOA for any reason, my initial thoughts are that this LCD is going to blow away my VP171b (ver. 1) LCD in so many ways. Going from 17" to 20.1" WS, going from 6bit to 8bit panel, etc.

A few questions I have. Last night I went into my Nvidia properties, and told it to show modes that the monitor CANT handle. I was specifically looking for the 1680x1050 mode, and its not there. I'm using 84.21 nvidia drivers. Shouldnt that resolution be listed? The upper most resolution listed was 2560x1600, huge! But no 1680x1050. This is a BFG 7800GT card. Being that this card is only a 256MB card, I'm guessing I should probably look at something better in order to have all the frills turned on in games at 1680x1050?

The next question I have is what to do with my old VP171b? Its got 2-3 stuck pixels. I know most are going to say use both right? And I was thinking of doing that, allocating the 17" to tv viewing through SageTV. I looked around the net, and cant seem to find any of these for sale (used) so is it safe to assume there really is no re-sale value on my old one? If I keep it, and want to go to SLI again in the future, is there any issue doing that (SLI and 2 monitors, not cloning each other)? I never tried it, so not sure if there are pitfalls or not.

Well that about covers it! Just waiting til tomorrow now! :D :D

curveball692 said:
A few questions I have. Last night I went into my Nvidia properties, and told it to show modes that the monitor CANT handle. I was specifically looking for the 1680x1050 mode, and its not there. I'm using 84.21 nvidia drivers. Shouldnt that resolution be listed? The upper most resolution listed was 2560x1600, huge! But no 1680x1050. This is a BFG 7800GT card. Being that this card is only a 256MB card, I'm guessing I should probably look at something better in order to have all the frills turned on in games at 1680x1050?

As soon as you hook up the monitor and windows is does its found new hardware thing the correct resolution should show up. If not just install the drivers that come witht the monitor and all should be good.

That card is plenty good enough for this monitor.

So I submitted a ticket to ATI re: the scaling not working with the CCC. The last response I received from ATI was:

Unfortunately, with this monitor, there are no options to turn off its internal scaling. It is on all the time and there's no way to turn it off. Only when you can disable the displays internal scaling with the centered timings option work.

Looking back in this thread, to the guy that posted pictures of his VX2025WM running on a 7800 with 1024x768 centered and scaled resolutions makes me think otherwise. gg ATI support.

m0unds said:
So I submitted a ticket to ATI re: the scaling not working with the CCC. The last response I received from ATI was:

Looking back in this thread, to the guy that posted pictures of his VX2025WM running on a 7800 with 1024x768 centered and scaled resolutions makes me think otherwise. gg ATI support.

Then the smart thing to do is to point ATI to the pictures in question and prove them wrong. Maybe they'll then fix their drivers :)

ScYcS said:
Then the smart thing to do is to point ATI to the pictures in question and prove them wrong. Maybe they'll then fix their drivers :)

Yeah, I already had uploaded two of them to the ticket. I'm not holding my breath, though.

i am using the CCC on my x700 pro and when i run say 1440 x - it fits in the middle of the screen fine, it doesnt stretch it to the size of the lcd.... that is what it shoudl do correct?

It works fine with widescreen resolutions, but not 4:3, which is what I'm interested in.

At any rate, the new response from ATI:

our driver does work fine. We have tested this on both the x1900 and x1300. If your monitor display forces a "scale" there is nothing we can do about it at this time.

You can wait for our new driver that may fix the issue.

The assumption I've seen from NV users is that the display scaling algorithm that they use in forceware must be sending a full resolution signal to the display, (1680x1050) and then using its own generated black bars to fill the area around the centered image. I don't know if that's possible, but it sounds like it might be.

The assumption I've seen from NV users is that the display scaling algorithm that they use in forceware must be sending a full resolution signal to the display, (1680x1050) and then using its own generated black bars to fill the area around the centered image. I don't know if that's possible, but it sounds like it might be.

Correct. When I output in, say, 1280x1024 without stretching, my mouse can move even into the black areas.

animasaki said:
Correct. When I output in, say, 1280x1024 without stretching, my mouse can move even into the black areas.

Excellent. I added that bit of information to my ticket and the ATI support rep said he was interested to hear it. Hopefully, he's just not blowing smoke up my ass.

Back