Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

FS Effects said:
I just brought this Viewsonic and so far it's great. I believe a warranty card never came with the package, is there suppose to be a warranty card? also, how do i check and know if there are any defects such as deadpixel, backleak, ghosting etc
good one for dead pixels.....Deadpixelbuddy

if you use google you can find a few different sites to check for "ghosting"

far as the "warranty card" just go to Viewsonic website and register your monitor there....and keep your receipt:)

Got mine delivered yesterday, from Buy.com... seems to be working perfectly with WinXP 64 on an AMD 3800+ 64 with a Jaton 7800GT.

I noticed, however, that the thing was very warm, especially the upper left side, after about 4 hrs of use. My old LG non-WS LCD gets warm too, of course, but this was very warm.

Is that normal?

So there is no way to overide stretch on this monitor with a nVidia card? That is one of the main things holding me back from pulling the trigger.

Spiff1333 said:
So there is no way to overide stretch on this monitor with a nVidia card? That is one of the main things holding me back from pulling the trigger.

At this point, no.

ve_blackjack said:
i just made my order in newegg.com, how they ship the monitors?

i should be worry about it?

They ship it in its orginal box. Its pretty well packed, but if FedEx or UPS decided to drop it or run over it, well.....

Take it out and keep all packaging and information in case its damaged when it arrives, so you can claim damage via carrier. I've never had a damaged product in the 5 years iv'e been ordering from Newegg though.

Spiff1333 said:
There is. 4:3 resolutions will appear with black bars on the sides.

nvidia_scaling.png

^^^^
It seems that with the 7800/7900 series cards, fixed aspect ratio scaling causes the screen to black out and have an "out of range message." Tried this with my crt, and I've been getting what some of the guys on here are getting as well.

So it works with a 6600 but not a 7800 series.....weird. Hopefully nVidia can fix that quickly.

I have a 6800GT so if anyone has this card and this monitor could you please let us know if the fixed aspect ratio control works. Thanks.

Yea, I can't get anything other than "Monitor Scaling" working with my 7900 GTX.

With my old 6800 Ulttra I could get all 4 modes working with the SAME montitor !!!

It's wierd !!

Ripped85 said:
How exactly do you change the gamma on this monitor??

HAving an Nvidia card, I simply go to the Nvidia Display panel (right-click on my desktop), click "Color Correction" and the options are there such as Gamma, Digital Vibrance, Brightness and Contrast for me to adjust accordingly.

Spiff1333 said:
So it works with a 6600 but not a 7800 series.....weird. Hopefully nVidia can fix that quickly.

I have a 6800GT so if anyone has this card and this monitor could you please let us know if the fixed aspect ratio control works. Thanks.

Fixed Apect Ratio works as well as all the other options with my 6800 GT.

igl00jx said:
^^^^
It seems that with the 7800/7900 series cards, fixed aspect ratio scaling causes the screen to black out and have an "out of range message." Tried this with my crt, and I've been getting what some of the guys on here are getting as well.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I have a BFG 7800GTX and fixed aspect ratio works fine on my system with the VX2025wm. I am using driver version 84.25 and am forcing 75Hz refresh rate if that makes any difference.

eXcelon7574 said:
Just wanted to let you guys know that I have a BFG 7800GTX and fixed aspect ratio works fine on my system with the VX2025wm. I am using driver version 84.25 and am forcing 75Hz refresh rate if that makes any difference.

Try the same thing but at default refresh rate and let us know what happens.

I bought a evga 7900 gt co card, it should arrive soon, i bought the viewsonic vx2025wm too

I will have problems with the monitor and this card? its my first widescreen lcd so please help me choosing the mode i have to use, what do each mode exactly and which of them is the best.

what drivers i need to get the monitor work well?

thanks

eXcelon7574 said:

84.25?

KingPing said:
good one for dead pixels.....Deadpixelbuddy

if you use google you can find a few different sites to check for "ghosting"

far as the "warranty card" just go to Viewsonic website and register your monitor there....and keep your receipt:)

how do i check for dead pixels with that programs? and what about leakage how do i check that?

Thanks for the review. I'll be buying this monitor at office max tomorrow. They have a $50 dollar mail in rebate for this monitor.

FS Effects said:
how do i check for dead pixels with that programs? and what about leakage how do i check that?

go through the different colors on DPB and look for "stuck" or "dead" pixels....they should all be what ever color your viewing on your screen....to check for "bleeding" just go with the "all black" screen:)

eXcelon7574 said:

running the 84.25 drivers now.....I cant get Fixed Aspect to work....nor can I force 75HZ refresh rate...."out of range":(

I went ahead and changed the refresh rate back to 60Hz and it still scales properly. Not sure why it works for some and not for others.

I'll be sure and post in here how this monitor goes with Ubuntu 5.10 (Linux), and any configuration tips I have.

~24 hours and 1 final left before I can check this baby out:D

Got my monitor today. It's so sexy...though its a little fuzzy. Can't complain for such a great price.

I picked my monitor up today. Had to go on a wild goosechase to get it. This monitor owns man. Glad I bought it.

eXcelon7574 said:
I went ahead and changed the refresh rate back to 60Hz and it still scales properly. Not sure why it works for some and not for others.

what mode are you using in your monitor.

i will get my monitor soon, and i am afraid i wont work with my 7900 gt card

KingPing said:
running the 84.25 drivers now.....I cant get Fixed Aspect to work....nor can I force 75HZ refresh rate...."out of range":(

Same here, 75Hz @ 1650x1080 does NOT work for me. That's with an evga 7900 GTX.

When I tried to do that using the refresh rate overide screen, i got the "Out of Range" error. I had to reboot into safe mode and remove the display driver.

Same here 75 does not work for me. I'm running on 7900GT but I don't think it matters.
BTW 60 works great. I have V-Sync off and see no tearing.

KingPing said:
go through the different colors on DPB and look for "stuck" or "dead" pixels....they should all be what ever color your viewing on your screen....to check for "bleeding" just go with the "all black" screen:)

cool. so dead pixels are basicly little blacks dots that are permament on the screen? i couldn't find 1 dead pixel, i guess i'm lucky. :D other than dead pixel, and backlight leaking what are other concerns that i should look for? what about ghosting?

FS Effects said:
cool. so dead pixels are basicly little blacks dots that are permament on the screen? i couldn't find 1 dead pixel, i guess i'm lucky. :D other than dead pixel, and backlight leaking what are other concerns that i should look for? what about ghosting?

Lucky bastard. =[ I got one dead pixel dead in the middle. God I hate it. I can't even file for RMA. GR!

PS. Is there anyway to MAKE dead pixels? <__<

you wont get 75Hz in 1680x1050. I've gotten 75hz DVI at 1024x768 using custom modes, but the monitor displayed OUT-of-SYNC every minute, no way to get rid of it. I think u can get 75hz on VGA at 1024x768 no problem. Didn't try ... didn't care

wow that is one nice monitor

I have a 19' crt, will I be able to adjust to this monitor easily?

I do a lot of text reading so is this widescreen monitor good for that? Is widescreen good for reading? I have heard that it takes time to get used to it.

should I buy the Viewsonic 20' widescreen or the Acer 19'? The Acer is $220 or so, the Viewsonic is like $350 or so.

espn2829 said:

I do a lot of text reading so is this widescreen monitor good for that? Is widescreen good for reading? I have heard that it takes time to get used to it.

should I buy the Viewsonic 20' widescreen or the Acer 19'? The Acer is $220 or so, the Viewsonic is like $350 or so.

I'm in the same boat as you having a 17" Viewsonic CRT and wanting to upgrade to a widescreen for the last 6months. I was watching the Rosewill 19" which went as low as $225 after rebate. Then I got $200 as a present but when I went to check on the Rosewill pricing I noticed that the Acer dropped to $215 -but I knew nothing about this monitor.

Well after reading about the Acer and reading many comments about screen size and resolutions I decided a larger 20" LCD would meet my needs a bit longer than a 19".

So in the end I've purchased the Viewsonic 20.1" from buy.com for $339 or $139 out of pocket. Here are a couple reviews that make me feel pretty good about my buy:

5 star monitor:

http://translate.google.com/transla...Flanguage_tools

20" winner:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/20...monitors/1.html

I know I posted these links already ;)

espn2829 said:

Only thing different about text is that there will be more text per line then before and sometimes if your not conentrating you can lose your spot in the middle. Otherwise text is excellent to read. I havn't had a problem at 1650x1080. If your used to text at 1600x1200 then you will be fine with this display. Although I must note a 20in widescreen is like a 17in montior that is wide. There isn't much added verticly if at all.

Compusa's offer on this monitor was order-to-home and RMA by mail only, so when officemax cut their $450-minus-rebate price to $399 minus a $50 rebate on an in-stock local purchase, I ended up taking one home. Officemax is only a mile from my house and I can return it to the store. I happened to get the last one in the store at the time too :)

I am still tweaking this monitor, and last night I went so far as to reset it to default settings and start over instead of using the software tools to adjust it. I think it helped the eyestrain issue, but the monitor will always have a frosted/glazed look on solid fields.

Here are my impressions so far:
========================

This monitor is being sold at a good price (about half the price of the comparable NEC I think), but I did notice an obvious frosted look on bright solid color fields. I think I prefer the glare-type screens to the anti-glare of this monitor, but for the price I decided to try it out.

Reading
-------------
I had trouble with eyestrain when I first started using it. I tweaked the brightness and contrast once I realized I was getting the effect of staring into a lightbulb, and that helped - alot. If you have ever looked at one of those optical illusions where you see a black icon on white background, then look at the ceiling and see the afterimage, you might understand how the brightness could affect you. I also realized that I was often trying to see and read the whole monitor instead of focusing more in a direct beam, if you know what I mean.

I'm still unsure on text. Truetype fonts help on fonts large enough to benefit, but I think the frost-layer on the screen still annoys my eyes while reading for extended periods even when the frost layer isn't as obvious.

I play World of Warcraft at the native resolution 1680 x 1050, which I mention here because it is a game that has alot of text scrolling by in small chat windows. The 14pt font is alittle hard to read for some reason. I will test WoW out again today since I adjusted my brightness and contrast to much better settings last night. I did get to play WoW on a 1920x1200 WUXGA screen for a few weeks so I know how the text can look, at least compared to that higher resolution.

Gaming
-------------

Gaming looks really good on this monitor, much better than still photos. The frost/glaze of the screen isn't obvious at all in 3D gaming environments. The 1680 x 1050 puts less stress on the video card than the 1920 x 1200 rez system I mentioned, while still being a very high resolution.
This would be great except that as I mentioned above, I play a game that has a ton of fine text to read all the time.

Photos/Graphics work
------------------------------------

There is a frost look to this screen, like a thin layer of frost crystals on a windshield. It is subdued on detailed and dark areas of pictures, but anything with a solid field of color makes it very obvious.
Forget ever seeing a flat, solid skyline or background in an underwater photo without seeing the almost 'sparkly' layer of crystallization. Anything with a large plain of relatively even color (including white documents and web browsing to a degree) brings the frosty layer of this screen out of hiding. The frost crystal screen layer is always there though, its just that some fields rendered beneath it make it look more horrible.

You can get some high resolution photos at the native rez to test out here:
http://wp.deviantart.com/wallpaper/widescreen/?view=1&order=5&limit=24&res=21

It is very annoying on the sky, flat stretches of water, and shows on people's skin, the macro shots of flowers,, etc.

========================================================

Conclusion
=========
I think the frosted/crystallized screen layer might be a deal-breaker for me. One of the high points of LCDs for me was that they had less eyestrain and had a crisp image. This frost crystal layer bothers my eyes. Its also really annoying on photos. Its a shame this would have been a good monitor.

You seem more than stuck on talking about the a/g coating. It makes your review sound biased. If there was an option for "did you find this review helpful?" I'd definately have to say no.

Mabe you should list the pros and cons instead...

It is biased, on over all viewing quality.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes who owns this monitor. I'm just relating my experience so people might have an idea before they buy the monitor.

I said the coating makes a frost layer that 'spekles/sparkles' relatively solid fields so much so that things like the sky or a person's skin don't look solid/flat. This is especially annoying while web browsing and viewing photos, and photo editing. I also hinted that it might be affecting small fonts in desktop/browsing, and small fonts in games like WoW, and might even be affecting eye-focus/eyestrain sometimes.

The coating is integrated. You can't remove it so the review would have to biased against the monitor overall if it is biased against the coating.

Back