Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

DasFox said:
Guys, I'm really thinking to snag one of these Viewsonics. But how does this Viewsonic stack up against the NEC 20WGX2 and Dell 2007WFP?

THANKS
The NEC does spank it in a lot of things, but IT IS NOT PERFECT and I'm not talking about any glare issues. I need to do a write up since I had both together for two weeks. BTW The Viewsonic went back yesterday :D

This morning I turned my system on and the DVI input wasnt working. Shut the monitor down, shut the system down, unplugged everything. Still couldnt get it to work. Have to mess with it when I get home tonight.

Hello,
I am close to purchasing this monitor, but I had a question. I noticed that people have complained about the colors on the xbox 360 being washed out with vga cable. If I used the component cables and hooked it up to a vga transcoder then hooked it into the lcd do you think that would fix the problem?

WickedWeasel said:
PVA MVA?

If this is an MVA panel, does it have the same problem with viewing angles like with the Gateway FPD2185W ? I saw the Gateway at futureshop, when I move my head just a bit to either side, the color changes a lot.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71226

Yes it does. It is one of the first things I check. I was at Bestbuy and it does have the small angle washout issue. Just like my departed 2405. I think all MVA/PVA panels do. Only S-IPS panels interest me now. That or getting a new CRT which I will do if I can find a good deal on a nice. Missed two Trinitrons for sale at work already. They go in minutes of being offerred.

Finally got mine!!.. NO dead pixels at all. It's beautiful!

What settings should I change other than resolution to make it better?

Hedgepig said:
Thanks.
So you're saying that when 'centered timings' is enabled on ATI cards it will keep the 4:3 aspect ratio of lower resolutions? Have you tested it? How does it look?

Howdy. Yes, that's what it is supposed to do, per the description that pops up when in the Catalyst Control Center. However, I have not been able to make it work myself. I tried after your post and games still stretch. Strangely however, I am seeing 1680 x 1050 pop in some games that I did not know supported widescreen.

I am wondering if the drivers on the Viewsonic disk are somehow overriding the Catalyst drivers in some fashion. I might rollback the Viewsonic drivers or uninstall them altogether and try again. Will advise.

To anyone that already has this monitor, can you tell me the dimensions of just the base (WxL)?

Well I messed with mine last night and couldnt get the DVI port to come back on, so I took it back to CompUSA and got another one. Brought it home, hooked it up, SAME THING. Took a shot in the dark and actually turned off the switch on the back of the power supply of my rig, turned it back on, and it worked. Kinda strange, but whatever works. The sucky part is this new one seems to have bore backlight bleeding that the first one. It was also the last one they had in stock. Oh well.

Question...I was watching one of my anime episodes on this monitor and it seems to look like it has tiles all over. I watched the same one on my CRT and it's fine. Is there a setting adjustment to fix this?

Well got mine today and this monitor definately gets a thumbs up, an incredible improvement over my old Hyundai Q17.
It's brighter, contrast, black levels, viewing angles and text are all better.

I did have to lower the gamma in my video driver a tad to .80 as factory default it was a little too 'light' for me though.

Overall great display, only marks down are for the lack of height adjustment but that's a small price to pay for the improvement in visual quality I got.

ordered today....won't be home from college till next weekend though...the wait might be tough...at least I have something to look forward to after finals week :D

And to all the people above in this thread who have posted reviews...thanks a ton! I may not have even looked at this monitor had you not all posted such good reviews and info!

Just wanted to say good job to the reviewer. I was on the fence as to whether or not I should go with a standard LCD or go for a widescreen, and after owning this monitor for a week, I'm very pleased.

This is the second VX2025wm right now. I bought the first at Fry's, and shortly after plugging it in through DVI, it stopped working. I tried connecting the monitor to three other computers via DVI, and it was the same thing. VGA worked fine and it still looked beautiful, but it's still broken either way, so I got this new one and after a week, so far, so good.

Regarding Catalyst and Image Scaling in the Catalyst Control Center, I have a X1600 running version 6.4, and despite selecting "Use Centered Timings" I too, have not gotten the monitor to display lower resolutions without scretching the image. The demo unit at Fry's was able to, but it was Intel integrated graphics connected through VGA.

JinxCA said:
Just wanted to say good job to the reviewer. I was on the fence as to whether or not I should go with a standard LCD or go for a widescreen, and after owning this monitor for a week, I'm very pleased.

This is the second VX2025wm right now. I bought the first at Fry's, and shortly after plugging it in through DVI, it stopped working. I tried connecting the monitor to three other computers via DVI, and it was the same thing. VGA worked fine and it still looked beautiful, but it's still broken either way, so I got this new one and after a week, so far, so good.

Regarding Catalyst and Image Scaling in the Catalyst Control Center, I have a X1600 running version 6.4, and despite selecting "Use Centered Timings" I too, have not gotten the monitor to display lower resolutions without scretching the image. The demo unit at Fry's was able to, but it was Intel integrated graphics connected through VGA.

That's weird. Just to check, you are using DVI?
This function works on my IBM Thinkpad (X300 Mobility) on an 1024 x 768 LCD. Not sure if it will be different with the mobility drivers.

eXcelon7574 said:
Hello,
I am close to purchasing this monitor, but I had a question. I noticed that people have complained about the colors on the xbox 360 being washed out with vga cable. If I used the component cables and hooked it up to a vga transcoder then hooked it into the lcd do you think that would fix the problem?

I've got a VD-Z3 on the way to me this week so I'm going to test that theory. I'm hoping it works (fingers crossed), because this is the big drawback to the Viewsonic (and a lot of other monitors too. It's not their fault, it's the stupid VGA cable).

Ripped85 said:
Finally got mine!!.. NO dead pixels at all. It's beautiful!

What settings should I change other than resolution to make it better?
I'm going from memory on this, as I've returned mine since.

I had Brightness 70/contrast 77/Red 91 ?/Green 97 ?/Blue 100. I also changed my Gamma settings in each color under Display Properties. I don't remember those, but I believe they were all around .66 Gamma give or take a tick. Also used a LOW level of Digital Vibrance(NVIDIA) to give it some more color for EYE candy (pr0n).

Try those, IMHO looked excellent to me ... ENJOY ...

borez said:
That's weird. Just to check, you are using DVI?
This function works on my IBM Thinkpad (X300 Mobility) on an 1024 x 768 LCD. Not sure if it will be different with the mobility drivers.

Correct, I am using DVI. Still, after selecting it and hitting okay etc, I go to change my resolution to a non-widescreen resolution and it still stretches.

It doesn't bother me personally, I enjoy the native resolution, and all the games I own can display in it, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem with their ATi cards. :\

Side by Side - NEC 20WMGX2 vs. Viewsonic WM2025wm

lcdsnitelsmall1qe.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

lcdsdaylsmall6zr.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

The two monitors were tweaked to LOOK as close as possible to eachother when this pic was taken(brightness/contrast/color values). Viewsonic brightness is maxed out, and the NEC sitting comfortably at about 53%. The NEC seems to have a purer WHITE when tweaked, but has a worse white level when at NATIVE color mode. The Viewsonic, to me has a better backlight, at a higher kelvin value. LMK if there's questions

Did you guys change any settings when you got the viewsonic? All I did was change the res after installing the viewsonic CD.

MrkXCeL said:

lcdsnitelsmall1qe.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

lcdsdaylsmall6zr.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

The two monitors were tweaked to LOOK as close as possible to eachother when this pic was taken(brightness/contrast/color values). Viewsonic brightness is maxed out, and the NEC sitting comfortably at about 53%. The NEC seems to have a purer WHITE when tweaked, but has a worse white level when at NATIVE color mode. The Viewsonic, to me has a better backlight, at a higher kelvin value. LMK if there's questions

Can you give us your exact settings for the Viewsonic... your tweaked picture looks great. thanks!

The FedEx guy surprised me today... wasn't expecting this baby until tomorrow.

No dead pixels... big improvement over my old 19" CRT. It's the best $375 I've probably ever spent.

Bruce said:

No dead pixels... big improvement over my old 19" CRT. It's the best $375 I've probably ever spent.
damn, that monitore really looks huge.
and btw, thats a pretty l33t keyboard (I have the same one on my worktable :D)

MrkXCeL -- can you tell us what your settings were and where i could find that lovely kristin kreuk wallpaper ;)

Also.. if anyone uses photoshop can you let me know if using the adobe gamma wizard is a good way to calibrate this lcd?

MrkXCeL said:

lcdsnitelsmall1qe.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

lcdsdaylsmall6zr.jpg

FULL SIZE OF ABOVE

nice wallpaper... :)
Bruce said:

by any chance can u guys get some pic results by running xtknight's gradlin-v0.2-fs.exe?

im really interested on how it look like in comparison to my 2007wfp.. :(

JinxCA said:

Damn, that's exactly what I'm running. I was worried that might happen, maybe I'll go with a non-widescreen after all.

I just bought this LCD and its going to be delivered tomorrow, but I do have some questions I hope someone can answer. I've heard cleartype is pretty much a must for text on LCDs. My old monitor is a 19in CRT and I was going to be using both at the same time. Is it possible to have one monitor with cleartype enabled and the other without?

Also, will I have any troubles with one monitor being DVI and the other VGA?

I am planning to hook up this monitor with a VD-Z3 VGA transcoder which doesn't seem to have 1680x1050 output resolution that matches this monitor's native resolution.

How would a non-native resolution such as 1280x720 look on this monitor? I presume it would be stretched, but would the PQ be?

deanx0r said:
I am planning to hook up this monitor with a VD-Z3 VGA transcoder which doesn't seem to have 1680x1050 output resolution that matches this monitor's native resolution.

How would a non-native resolution such as 1280x720 look on this monitor? I presume it would be stretched, but would the PQ be?

If you're thinking of using your Xbox 360, it should look pretty good. I hooked my XBox 360 up to the Viewsonic (via VGA) and it's fine except for the colors, which are washed out. Sharpness wise, it's not up to 1680x1050, but I found it very playable. Yes it does stretch the image to fit, but 1280x720 is wide resolution so you won't have any distortion to worry about it.

I too am getting a VD-Z3 ( to correct for the color wash out) and if there's any concern, it's that the component outputs on an Xbox 360 aren't as sharp as the VGA output, so we'll see how that goes. Anytime you convert signals like this you're going to lose a little bit of quality, but I'm willing to do it to get the proper color saturation.

alkoholik said:
buy.com has it for $355 shipped (no tax or shipping)

you can use the $15 off coupon to bring it down to $339 shipped
I ordered it from them on Monday for $390 - $15 = $375 shipped. :mad:

cmge said:
by any chance does anyone have screenshots of the Viewsonic VX2025wm while running xtknight's gradlin-v0.2-fs.exe??

i wanna compare it to my 2007wfp and my friends samsung 204b... i wanna c if its really that bad in comparison to the 2007wfp

DELL 2007WFP native resolution 32bit colour
http://www.fileh.com/cmge/dell2007wfpgradient.jpg

SAMSUNG 204B native resolution 32bit colour
http://www.fileh.com/cmge/samsung204bgradient.jpg

When I'm 6" from the monitor, I can see banding in maybe 1/4" dark segments, but at arm's length away (how far away I normally sit) I cannot notice any.

Does anyone know how to get DVI to work? AGP works but when I use DVI it just stays at no signal and wont detect.

Vaeldain said:
Does anyone know how to get DVI to work? AGP works but when I use DVI it just stays at no signal and wont detect.

I think you mean VGA. Did you power off the computer, plug the DVI into the #1 DVI port and power back on? Did you switch the inputs using the front button? Are you sure you loaded the drivers for the monitor before cranking up the resolution?

Back