Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

Vertigo528 said:
I'm pretty sure the VX2025 is a PVA panel and it has the same specs. I notice a color difference between the three 2005FPWs (partial to 2005FPW S-IPS) I had and this display but the backlight is so much better and I haven't noticed any screen door effect at all. I'm still not sure if I am going to keep this or try the new NEC AS-IPS panel display.

the VX2025WM is using an MVA panel, not a PVA panel or IPS panel. Just to clear that all up :) it's listed on Viewsonic's official site here: http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX2025wm.htm

it's the same Premium-MVA (P-MVA) panel as the Belinea 102035W (AU Optronics M201EW01 V0 P-MVA panel).

Sounds like the "backlight bleeding" reports were more down to slight viewing angle anomlaies, i've experienced this on models like the Dell 2405FPW as well, where the screen seems a little lighter to the sides, but when you move your head along the screen it disappears.

Regarding the 1:1 pixel matching, can you definitely not do this through software or the OSD then? seems like quite a big flaw to me?!

Badd said:
Regarding the 1:1 pixel matching, can you definitely not do this through software or the OSD then? seems like quite a big flaw to me?!

I'll try again tonight to make sure

Badd said:

I played with the VX2025wm at Fry's on the weekend and there does not appear to be any control of scaling or aspect ratio beyond just stretching the image to fit. For instance, 1024x768 is stretched and distorted to fit 1650x1080. My understanding is this has always been a drawback to Viewsonic monitors, whereas Dell (and Gateway?) monitors do have some actual pixel scaling.

The Viewsonic image looks okay so long as you stick with a 16:9 aspect ratio, like 1280x720.

sanitystream said:
I played with the VX2025wm at Fry's on the weekend and there does not appear to be any control of scaling or aspect ratio beyond just stretching the image to fit. For instance, 1024x768 is stretched and distorted to fit 1650x1080. My understanding is this has always been a drawback to Viewsonic monitors, whereas Dell (and Gateway?) monitors do have some actual pixel scaling.

The Viewsonic image looks okay so long as you stick with a 16:9 aspect ratio, like 1280x720.

It's actually 16:10. And if you have an nvidia video card (dunno about ati) you can tell it to leave black bars on the sides just like dell.

Badd said:
the VX2025WM is using an MVA panel, not a PVA panel or IPS panel. Just to clear that all up :) it's listed on Viewsonic's official site here: http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX2025wm.htm

it's the same Premium-MVA (P-MVA) panel as the Belinea 102035W (AU Optronics M201EW01 V0 P-MVA panel).

Sounds like the "backlight bleeding" reports were more down to slight viewing angle anomlaies, i've experienced this on models like the Dell 2405FPW as well, where the screen seems a little lighter to the sides, but when you move your head along the screen it disappears.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've seen several claims about which panel it was.

I know what you mean about the viewing angle stuff but it's difficult to explain. My monitor does have slight bleeding that I notice in a dark room with a totally black screen but it seems like the colors wash out a little on either side of the monitor when it's viewed from the middle.

Vertigo528 said:
Thanks for clearing that up. I've seen several claims about which panel it was.

I know what you mean about the viewing angle stuff but it's difficult to explain. My monitor does have slight bleeding that I notice in a dark room with a totally black screen but it seems like the colors wash out a little on either side of the monitor when it's viewed from the middle.

Thank you! See, im not the only one who confirms this. But noooooo...everyone else says its backlight bleeding when I know damn well its not. View post #40 with pics to back up my claim.

I ordered mine last weekend, shipped today. Will hopefully get it later this week. :cool:

Mine has been in town since last night but they won't deliver it until tomorrow.. And they won't let me pick it up.. damn Fedex...

L1ght said:
Mine to. LOL. Lets see who gets their's first. :p

You got it! Looser buy's the beer. :D

Deezus said:
Mine has been in town since last night but they won't deliver it until tomorrow.. And they won't let me pick it up.. damn Fedex...

I had to get Fedex to. UPS was cheaper and faster but, I've had some bad experiences with them. [chant]Down with Brown...[/chant]

Voltron said:
You got it! Looser buy's the beer. :D
[/chant]
Right... Im only 16... :rolleyes:

I shipped it out UPS 3 day. If you shipped it using fedex, you should win... :eek:

WickedWeasel said:
PVA MVA?

If this is an MVA panel, does it have the same problem with viewing angles like with the Gateway FPD2185W ? I saw the Gateway at futureshop, when I move my head just a bit to either side, the color changes a lot.

If this panel is the same as the Belinea 10 20 35W, does it have the "Twinkling effect on movies" ?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71226

I posted angle shots of the monitor in the beginning of the thread, it gives you a fairly good idea of the viewing angles. Its good enough for my needs but YNMV

It's here! hehe

Work won't go by fast enough as is always the case when you get new toys.

LordBritish said:
How's the ghosting with this monitor?

Ive played it with HL2 Deathmatch, BF2, BF1942, KOTOR, FEAR and there is very little ghosting. Much less then my 2005fpw or 2405fpw had. Im very happy with it.

Deezus said:
It's here! hehe

Work won't go by fast enough as is always the case when you get new toys.

Aint that the truth. Be sure to post your thoughts/feelings/pics here!

Ok, i'm blaming you if I go bankrupt !!!

I just ordered this badass from Buy.com

Damn it, I need to save money and be frugal.

Well, screw that, you only live once :p

So here's what I'm doing while waiting for it to arrive:
http://isnoop.net/tracking/

shipping.jpg

That website above has an RSS feed for the actual tracking information. I setup a Yahoo! Mobile alert to track the packages' RSS feed and send me a SMS to my phone whenever the RSS feed is updated. So if I'm away from my house and it's delivered, I know within a few minutes. Pretty chic if you ask me.

I paid $455.76 total at Buy.com

Taxes were like $30 of that amount :(

Living in CA has it's pluses but ordering computer stuff online aint one of em.

Yaaaaaay! :)

Well, in case the above "yay" doesn't give it away, the monitor is here and running.
To sum it up right here, I don't want to go to work tomorrow so I can get *used* to what I've been missing. ;)

This is the 1st LCD that I have owned and used as a primary monitor. I have a cheap ass 17" Sylvania that I use on the test bench though.. But this thing.. I've needed this for a long while.

So.. My really quick review.

After hooking everything up via the DVI link, I booted into the desktop where my system sat waiting for something to load... and sat... and sat.. You now the drill, open up task manager and look how nothing is associated with a user name yet. Wouldn't shut down, etc. So I shut it down the hard way a few times with the same outcome. Now I'm getting a little pissed off, it's almost beer 30 and I haven't played with my toy yet. I swap over to the VGA connection and get the same outcome, I was mad and relieved at the same time.
So I am finally able to load up the Viewsonic CD (system is still not acting right) and install the driver, in the middle of the install (again, you know the drill), all the things I had tried to open, finally opened.
/shrugs
I think the issue MIGHT be associated with the monitor, but I won't hold it against anyone/thing, it's here, it's working and damnit, I want to play! :p
Besides, the OP didn't have an issue like this, so I will chalk it up to "one of those things" that magically fixes itself. workes for me anyway.

Onto the really quick and kinda crappy pics.
*note, still plugged into the VGA*
my.php

Ahh, one of my favorite TV shows. Looks very very nice on a true WS monitor. Might have to rewatch the series again. ;)

my.php

Giggy! This is a pic to show everyone, including my own curiosity, that you can indeed watch non ws formated video and not have it scale to the ws resolution.. Have to admit, I was stressing about that. No worries though.

my.php

Some backlight bleeding, but really, nothing too bad and most importantly, I don't care! :)

There were a few more things I was going to mention.. But I can't remember, kinda tired and I need to fine tune this bad boy and play around. Still haven't gamed and I wan't to switch back to the DVI.

All in all, best 420 bucks I have spent in a looong time. Thank you Coldtronius, for sparking my interest in this thing,

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone of you has a monitor calibrator to check the gamma range of this baby.

This monitor has got me interested in getting it for Photoshop usage.

This is what I mean:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/720/gamma7oi.jpg

The dark gamma area is from my Thinkpad T43 (1024x768), and the wider gamma range is from a really old Philips CRT.

Both displays are calibrated with a Gretagmacbeth Eye One Display (6500K)

Just picked up one of these little baddies last Saturday from my wife as a birthday present. Given the fact that when we talked about it, I was thinking I was going to get it right away, I was ok paying a little extra and getting it from MicroCenter. But alas, my hopes were dashed when we got it home and she said, "Put it in the closet, you're not getting it until your birthday."

So Sunday I get it and I'm excited. Upgrading from a Sony CPD-G520 (think that's what it is).

Very, very excited.

Turning 30, well. . .not so exciting.

To everyone that has one of these..... Is the non-height adjustment a big factor? Do you have to look down on it? Or because the screen is so big it's not an issue....? Thanks!

dtos01 said:
To everyone that has one of these..... Is the non-height adjustment a big factor? Do you have to look down on it? Or because the screen is so big it's not an issue....? Thanks!

Yeah, the non height adjustment sucks, so I just went and bought this at Staples and problem solved. Of course, your needs may vary so it may or may not be an issue.

Awesome to hear you guys are liking your monitors, glad I could help you pick one out.

stand8qx.jpg

In terms of the height adjustment; it doesn't bother me. Typically when I am sitting at the desk I am in "lounge" mode, chair kind of reclined. So it actually matches up to me well. But the varation in text sizes I get, I find myself leaning forward and back alot. Going to be picking up a desk mounted LCD arm this weekend, should help out a little bit.

Mine is at home right now, in a box...

In school now, then I got to go straight to work, then youth group, then home! Cant wait. :D

L1ght said:
Mine is at home right now, in a box...

In school now, then I got to go straight to work, then youth group, then home! Cant wait. :D

Skip work, skip youth group, they'll understand :D

Well, I went home for lunch and guess what was waiting for me? To my suprise, Fedex had it to me a day early! The hour I get for lunch just didn't seem like it would be enuff, so I run to the kitchen and fix a sandwich like I'm in the Indy 500 pits. Turkey flying everywhere, mayonnaise some how stuck to the ceiling and my dog looking at me with a blank look wondering wtf was wrong with me. With the sandwich in one hand, bag of chips in my teeth and my monitor in the other hand I race down my hallway and end up dropping my freaking sandwich! Atleast I still had my chips and coke, plus the adrenaline of getting this sucker fired up.

So I get it all unpacked and notice how big it actually is (my 1st WS). I hook it up via vga (didnt have time to do dvi) on my 9700pro (newest Omega drivers) and get it set up as my primary. The first thing I notice is that the whites arent exactly pure white but have some black specs (maybe this is the dreded screen door effect). So I change the background to yellow and check for dead pixels and am happy to say that their aren't any (ordered from NewEgg). Next thing I check is back light and can clearly see the like coming through on the corners (just like in Cold's pic). Might ba able to tilt the monitor to clear some of the back light bleeding out. As fas as the screen door effect goes, it could possibly be my Vga and will swap to Dvi when I get home. Will also play some BF2 and see how ghosting is (seemed like low ghosting in windows).

I will edit this post later to reflect my final thoughts. As of right now, I am pretty dissapointed but I haven't given up on it yet.

//Edit

I believe what I thought to be screen door effect before was just the anti-glare coating. My previous FP did not have any coating on it so it's quite different getting used to. I did play some BF2 and didnt even notice it and no ghosting also. The picture looked nice and crisp. I will continue using the monitor for about a week and see if I should keep it or not.

Please take my review as just an opinion.

Just a word of advice. If you want this monitor in a somewhat reasonable time do not order it from Datavision. I did a BIN on Ebay from them on Friday (3/10) at 8:35am EST and I called them today to find out what the status was and they said that "The process has been approved it will ship tomorrow (3/16)" Funny how fast they take my money via Paypal but take so long to ship. I ordered through them because of the $100 mail in rebate or else I would have went through Newegg. I'm hoping by some miracle it will show up on Saturday so I have it for some of the weekend.

Voltron,
I noticed a very slight screen door effect while it was hooked up to VGA. Didn't do extensive looking with the DVI, but from what I did see, it wasen't as pronounced.

Well I called Datavision again this morning and they said that they are currently out of stock on the monitor (yesterday they told me they were going to ship it today). I cancelled my order and ordered it from Newegg. I should have gone there to begin with.

Back