Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Coldtronius, Mar 3, 2006.

1. sanitystream

sanitystream Limp Gawd

The Viewsonic will stretch it to fit. There is no aspect control on that monitor.

2. DasFox

DasFox Limp Gawd

Well for me this monitor will only be used for gaming, nothing else. So personally I'd just leave it on the optimal resolution of 1680x1050. I would figure it's going to be pretty much the only resolution I use.

But I'm not to sure here, but is this size supported well in games? I swear I remember that 1600x1200 to be more typical.

THANKS

3. Son

Son n00b

Dang, that's what I thought. Thanks for the reply. :)

4. DasFox

DasFox Limp Gawd

But I'm going to use this for gaming on a SLI box, ONLY for new-generation games, and many of them out there support WS, or you can hack them to work.

So for me I don't see this as a issue.

5. sanitystream

sanitystream Limp Gawd

Can a Viewsonic owner kindly view this screenshot and tell me if you see any color banding?

http://xtknight.atothosting.com/lcdtest/purplegreen2.png

On my new Dell 2007WFP it bands like a mo-fo so I'm sending it back. That image should be a smooth color gradient.

thanks.

EDIT: corrected link to proper screen. (sorry)

6. jddesigned

jddesigned n00b

Larger version of the screenie would have helped but I will say I detect minor ripples so to speak.

7. DasFox

DasFox Limp Gawd

Those ripples in the background are due to a lower-end video card, that can't renender the picture properly, not the LCD. :)

8. jddesigned

jddesigned n00b

Well little follow up to things. I did exchange my first one and trying another in hopes the first was a lemon. Well nope it wasn't. Text is still as poor as the first one and trust me I tried all the tricks to make it better.

Anyways I'll give a quick review once more for those looking at this one.

Aesthetics - 9/10 - The Black and Silver finish fits in with my office space quite nicely and the stand does look cooler in person. I though from ealry pictures it may be cheesy. It really looks nie on my desk, pity it has to go back.

Anti-Glare Coating - 6.5/10 - So much for anti-glare. My home office is 50% windows and as I speak it's a beautiful sunny day. I'm getting half the glare of a CRT, but no where near the glare reduction of an LCD without this coating. Also think this adds a blur effect to things at times.

Color Repro - 8/10 - Bold strong colors most of the time but can seem washed out as well.

Banding - 7.5/10 - She's not perfect but she tries. Dark colors suffer here, black to white gradients aren't smooth throught the charcoals and dark greys. The only stepping noticable is from black to the first grey it produces after that it's fairly smooth with some minor ripples.

Text - 5/10 - Yes a 5. For web surfing and general desktop use text is fine and I would give it a 8 there. Unfortunately vector fonts suffer severely in sizes sub 18pt. There is noticable bleeding on fonts, almost a ghosted double image. Graphic designers beware.

Gaming/Respnose time - 9.5/10 - I must say once you game widescreen you'll never go back. I suffer for motion blur sickness.. lol yes I do. There were many a night on previously tried LCD's where I had headaches and a blah stomach. If you want to see motion blur from this LCD the you'd you have to go looking for it. I'm shocked at how well this monitor handles the constant turning side to side of FPS games.

Pictures/Photos - 7.5/10 - High res photos are quite fine here, but for images saved at lower quality settings pixelization is present. I mention this fact because if the girlfriend points it out then it's there for sure. I've nit-picked lcd's beacuse of this issue before and she always says oh it's fine, but this time she pointed it out. Almost gives the appearance of a .29 pot pitch LCD rather than .25.

* Just my 2 cents and everyone's got their own thresh hold of what's good and bad, but I hope this helps.

Final Thoughts - I'm comparing this LCD to my personal fav the Samsung 204T. By far the best graphic design LCD for under $700 that I have worked with. The Samsung produces text at CRT quality and colors are hard to beat. Never once did I have a banding issue with the 204T. However the Samsung is not even in the same league as the 2025 when it comes to gaming. I myself will keep looking for a better compromise in an LCD, I'm sure something is right around the corner.

Please feel free to post or PM me if you want me to check anything on this LCD. I'm keeping it for my remaining 13 days of Best Buy return policy just cause gaming is so blood fun!

9. sanitystream

sanitystream Limp Gawd

10. DasFox

DasFox Limp Gawd

You don't need to be a Viewsonic user to have banding, LOL. I take it you are not familar with this. LOOK at this URL at the TOP picture, notice the STRIPES?

http://www.indiboi.com/journal/images/sony_lcd_problem.jpg

That is BANDING my boy :)

You don't seem to have that in the picture you posted. :)

ALOHA

P.S. Another pic with banding ---> http://www.ausmedia.com.au/Panasonic/LM1BANDTEST.gif

11. sanitystream

sanitystream Limp Gawd

DasFox - I asked for a Viewsonic owner to look at the link because on my Dell 2007 there is very noticeable banding. I want to know how the Viewsonic does with it.

Do you own a Viewsonic?

12. KingPing

KingPing [H]ard|Gawd

for as I know Viewsonic "streches" everything :(

13. DigitalEdge

DigitalEdge Limp Gawd

You never use the worrd cleartype? I using it and my type looks excellent.
    Clear Type

Could be a issue with your graphic card settings or somthing of that nature what card you running and also are you using the DVI?

14. DigitalEdge

DigitalEdge Limp Gawd

15. DasFox

DasFox Limp Gawd

Well banding if you know can happen on any LCD. With the Viewsonic yes they strecth, because there is no Aspect Ratio adjustments like the Dell has.

No I don't own a Viewsonic, but I know about the problem. But from your picture you posted there does not seem to appear any banding issue as I said eariler, so what are you worried about now?

You don't have a banding problem, at least none that you can see on that picture. If still worried about banding post a picture with your desktop background in it, and a few other varied images to look at.

Make sure you use the DVI INPUT, not analog for better image quality.

ALOHA

16. Eagle156

Eagle156 2[H]4U

Ehhhh are you sure you know what banding is fox?

17. sanitystream

sanitystream Limp Gawd

You're misunderstanding this whole thing. That link is not a photo of my monitor. It's a gradient test pattern that should exhibit no signs of banding on a good monitor. On my 2007WFP, when I visit the link I see definite banding. When I look at it with my CRT, I don't. So I'm asking a Viewsonic owner to look at the same link and tell me what they see on their monitor.

Here's the link again if some Viewsonic owner will simply look at it and tell me how the pattern appears on their monitor:

http://xtknight.atothosting.com/lcdtest/purplegreen2.png

18. wheels2040

wheels2040 Limp Gawd

I dont see any banding on my VX2025wm.

19. tankkid

tankkid n00b

I just switched between my princeton 17 and my viewsonic and the difference was remarkable. there is NO banding on the viewsonic

20. miskari

miskari [H]ard|Gawd

i've been hearing some realy nightmare stories abt this monitor, it was definately my top choise ut i dunno. i read that one guy's monitor atarted smoking in first two days, and also some other issuse :(

21. DasFox

DasFox Limp Gawd

Yes I do, my bad I wasn't paying attention, hehe, I thought he was taking a screenshot was all, which some people do.

Anyhow, I didn't pay attention, my apologies.

ALOHA

22. Varmint

Varmint [H]ard|Gawd

Do any widescreens scale besides the Dells? Like the NEC or Acer AL2032?

23. reddhaus

reddhaus Limp Gawd

Ok, I just picked up one of these babies.

It is looking pretty amazing so far.

Desktop looks good and BF2 looks very nice.

I think it may take some time for my eyes to adjust from CRT at home and work to the new LCD.

I will just have to keep tinkering with the settings and playing other games to see how nice of a monitor I have in my hands.

24. jddesigned

jddesigned n00b

Ya I tried Cleartype, 3 different sets of vid drivers, 2 video cards, and 2 different 2025 's etc. It's just not the monitor for me I guess.......

Right now I'm on my 6800gt and using DVI yes. Running drivers on high quality right now. Just can't figure what could be wrong.

25. DasFox

DasFox Limp Gawd

What are these things suffering from banding problems?

ALOHA

26. lcdguy

lcdguy n00b

what about the data cable ? could there be some sort of weird interferance ?

27. DigitalEdge

DigitalEdge Limp Gawd

Is there anyway to show a pic of the issue?

28. Bruce

Bruce Limp Gawd

Just ordered one of these from Buy.com for $375 shipped... now the waiting begins.

29. Hedgepig

Hedgepig n00b

Having read through this entire thread (and still unable to decide whether I should get one), I feel I should comment on a few things.

Firstly the aspect ratio. Some people seem to not understand that the screen stretching is only dependent on the resolution. Pictures and images are stretched by software to fit the current resolution, so an 800x600 image or video at fullscreen will actually be 1400x1050 centred on the regular 1680x1050 background (the same aspect ratio, i.e. with black bars on the sides, unless of course the software is specifically set up to not preserve aspect ratio). It has absolutely nothing to do with the monitor.

Games, on the other hand, do have something to do with the monitor since the screen resolution is changed, so a game running at 800x600 is stretched by the monitor to fit the monitors 16:10 aspect ratio.
    I am still unclear on whether this can actually be fixed with ATI cards, and it's something I'm very interested in, since the first thing I sacrifice for performance is resolution (I doubt I'll be playing many games at 1680x1050).
    I couldn't find any options in the Catalyst Control Centre, but I assume that's because I'm using a 19" 4:3 CRT, and the option probably only appears when a widescreen monitor is attached.
    I did however find this in the ATI help file:

* Scale image - maintain aspect ratio turns on Ratiometric Expansion and scales the frame buffer up to the panel size while maintaining the wide-panel aspect ratio.

Note: Scale Image - maintain aspect ratio is only available when using wide-aspect display panels.

* Scale image - full panel size turns on Ratiometric Expansion.

Use centered timings turns off Ratiometric Expansion. If you are using a smaller frame buffer image (800 x 600 resolution) than the native panel resolution, the image is shown centered on the panel with black bars around it.

Though it is under Notebook Panel Properties, so I'm not sure it applies.

I would really appreciate it if someone with this monitor and an ATI card, could confirm (photographically or otherwise) whether or not ATI cards can preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio with this monitor. It's one of the main reasons I haven't decided to get one yet.

Secondly, I feel I should comment on the 'supposed' backlight bleeding problem.
    I noticed that people have said that the bleeding problem seems to go away when the monitor is viewed more from the left or right.
    I also noticed that various people have said that the monitor appears slightly washed out at different viewing angles.
    Therefore, is it not completely possible that the 'bleeding' you speak of is simply the monitor becoming slightly washed out as it's viewed from a steeper angle? (The sides of the screen are at a different angle to the centre when viewed straight on, unless the screen is concave.)
    Also notice that in the photos posted of this issue on the second page, the 'bleeding' issue also appears in the centre of the monitor when viewed at the sides (because now the centre is at a steeper angle).
    I would assume that the problem can be almost completely solved by simply sitting further away from the screen (though it's still an issue because I like to be close to my monitor :eek: ).

At the moment I'm tossing up on whether to get a VX2025WM or a VX922, I'm not sure that widescreen (especially if it stretches games) is worth the drop in latency (though from comments here it seem latency is not an issue, but I'd still like some difinitive proof [hurry up and review this Toms Hardware!]). Or whether the washed out viewing angles (or 'bleeding') is better than having dark edges, but less than perfect colour and uniformity of the 922 (especially considering I will be looking at black most of the time). Not to mention the 30% price difference.

Finally, I should mention this website: go here, which has a very large list of LCDs with various comparison images that may just help people decide. It is in french, but just run it through babelfish and you should be fine.

30. ryuen

ryuen Limp Gawd

I just bit the bullet today after doing way to much reading on this monitor and it's competitors, looks like for the price and intended use (gaming & general web browsing) this one should fit my needs & budget the best.

Got a not too shabby deal from a local store on it at €519, a tad more expensive then were I to order it online, but I like the extra security of a shop I have experience with should something be wrong with the display.

Anyway, I was told I could expect a call from them this week and I'll be able to assign my Hyundai Q17 to backup screen duty :)

The Hyundai has served me well since my old 19" Viewsonic CRT started to show signs of wear and I never had any real issue with it, but it's lack of configuration options (no noticable brightness adjustments when on DVI, no color temperature settings etc) has annoyed me from the moment I got it.
    I'll be glad to have my 9300k setting back :)

31. Lawdog

Lawdog Limp Gawd

Hedge, you are correct in your assumption. I went from a 19" CRT to a VX2025WM. As soon as I switched over to the DVI input of the 2025, the "Centered Timings" option in Catalyst Control Center became available. I looked for it before the switch and it was not there.

Hope this answers your question.

32. tankkid

tankkid n00b

Any ideas?

33. ldbs

ldbs n00b

oh my i had the same problem with my LG monitor the

blue strip going down the middle!!

34. tankkid

tankkid n00b

did you figure out what it was? did you fix it?

35. linsook

linsook n00b

registered to get to the bottom of the 2007 issue. heres a post from anadtech, i think people with the 2007fpw should do the test and report.

i personally have the 2005fpw and have no banding problems

36. Juic3

Juic3 [H]ard|Gawd

Hey guys, this goes to anyone whos bought it from newegg....

How do they pack this one ? Is it reliable ? If I make an order of several items would it come in box with the rest of the stuff ?

:p

37. LostStorm

LostStorm Gawd

newegg nice store to buy from except for monitors, beware newegg has 8 dead pixel and viewsonic has 10 dead pixel policy. so anything up to 7 dead pixels and you are stuck with it.

38. Lawdog

Lawdog Limp Gawd

It looks perfectly fine to me on my 2025. Good luck with your Dell.

39. Hedgepig

Hedgepig n00b

Thanks.
    So you're saying that when 'centered timings' is enabled on ATI cards it will keep the 4:3 aspect ratio of lower resolutions? Have you tested it? How does it look?

40. MrkXCeL

MrkXCeL [H]ard|Gawd

Could it be that VECTOR fonts and the software that drives them (adobe?) have a problem rendering to a widescreen format? Maybe it doesn't really know what to do with the font once it sees what resolution your system is running at.

You may want to try a 4:3 ratio resolution, run an auto-image adjust on the viewsonic and make sure your desktop fonts look as normal as they can for a 4:3 image on a 16:10 monitor and then try your Vector fonts.