Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

Skyviper

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
270
Is it just me or do those BF2 pictures look really blurry? Is it supposed to be like that?
 

jddesigned

n00b
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Messages
59
I did mention this in my post earlier regarding this LCD, but thought I'd bring it up again. I was wondering what everyone's overall impression with text is on this LCD. I find it weaker than most LCD's I've seen and worked with, frankly it's just plain awful. If a font is not in a pixel or dynamic form such as standard forum post fonts, I find it very weak. Most fonts and text surfing the web etc seems to have a blurred/tearing effect. This is a shame too because I do a lot of design work and fonts have to be a sharp as possible. Just wondering cause maybe I have a lemon. Any thoughts?

PS: It's too bad cause this is an awasome LCD for gaming and this coming from a guy who gets headaches and feels sick a most motion blur on LCD's. I notice none unless I try to actually see it and then it's truly minmal.
 
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
10
jddesigned said:
I did mention this in my post earlier regarding this LCD, but thought I'd bring it up again. I was wondering what everyone's overall impression with text is on this LCD. I find it weaker than most LCD's I've seen and worked with, frankly it's just plain awful. If a font is not in a pixel or dynamic form such as standard forum post fonts, I find it very weak. Most fonts and text surfing the web etc seems to have a blurred/tearing effect. This is a shame too because I do a lot of design work and fonts have to be a sharp as possible. Just wondering cause maybe I have a lemon. Any thoughts?

PS: It's too bad cause this is an awasome LCD for gaming and this coming from a guy who gets headaches and feels sick a most motion blur on LCD's. I notice none unless I try to actually see it and then it's truly minmal.
Did you try a differant resolution to see if that would help? I found the native 1680x1050 to be way too small for general desktop and internet use so I tried one of the other lower widescreen resolutions. I'm currently using 1280x768 for my desktop and have had no problems with text. Everybody's eyes are differant though so I don't know if that would be of any help to you especially for your line of work.
 

Chmod

n00b
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
2
jddesigned said:
I did mention this in my post earlier regarding this LCD, but thought I'd bring it up again. I was wondering what everyone's overall impression with text is on this LCD. I find it weaker than most LCD's I've seen and worked with, frankly it's just plain awful. If a font is not in a pixel or dynamic form such as standard forum post fonts, I find it very weak. Most fonts and text surfing the web etc seems to have a blurred/tearing effect. This is a shame too because I do a lot of design work and fonts have to be a sharp as possible. Just wondering cause maybe I have a lemon. Any thoughts?

PS: It's too bad cause this is an awasome LCD for gaming and this coming from a guy who gets headaches and feels sick a most motion blur on LCD's. I notice none unless I try to actually see it and then it's truly minmal.

Is this your first LCD? My samsung does the same thing when I reformat until I update the drivers (vid card and monitor), and then I go into the monitor's menu settings and tweak the H-position and V-position (horizontal and vertical). Have you tried that yet? Its pretty common with LCD's I've messed with and usually takes about 5 minutes to get the settings tweaked just right. Hope this helps.
 

Lothar

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
305
I have 2 of these displays and love them. I have no problem with the text, however I always run LCD's in their native resolution. In my experience not doing so severely degrades text clarity and image quality.
 

Voltron

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
137
Skyviper said:
Is it just me or do those BF2 pictures look really blurry? Is it supposed to be like that?

It's just the camera, in native res the monitor looks very crisp.
 

jddesigned

n00b
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Messages
59
OK, so going through your posts as a trouble shooting list here.

1. Yes, I'm running at native resolution and running in anything not native looks just plain bad to me.
2. I've, play with my vid car settings over and over.
3. Running in DVI since day 1.

We may never no what the problem is and I gotta return it tomorrow or I'll miss my Best Buy 14 day return period. If my 14 day return policy resets with an exchange I'll try another, hopefully I have a lemon. Kinda strange I'm the only one who finds text poor. I'm not talking desktop text here either. My Icons and forum text is perfect, it's just vector fonts that are the problem. I work with 3 different LCD's on my desk at work and have had 6 different ones at home, and I haven't seen text tis poor since I had a Hyundai L90D+. So no one else see's a slight bleeding effect?

Anyways I'll keep you all updated. Never know what will become of this.
 

wheels2040

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 18, 2006
Messages
156
I have been using mine for about 3 days now and I am still on the fence about it. Games look great but I am not real crazy about the antiglare coating. It seems to wash out text a little bit. This is my first LCD, so it could be just me being use to the Sony 20" CRT that this replaced.
 

jddesigned

n00b
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Messages
59
I think a lot to do with the overall text quality is a product of the anti-glare coating. I think the coating tends to bleed the text. I've never been a fan of cleartype either. I installed it hoping it would solve things but unfortunately not. I'll swap this one and try one more but I think this monitor is just text weak.
 

lcdguy

n00b
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
47
now dell has gone and complicated things :)

Which do you think would be a better purchase Dell 2007 Model or the Viewsonic i can get a deal on the dell but it would still be more than the viewsonic ?

I need an answer soon as the sale price i got for the viewsonic is only good till the 25th.
 

samduhman

Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
977
lcdguy said:
now dell has gone and complicated things :)

Which do you think would be a better purchase Dell 2007 Model or the Viewsonic i can get a deal on the dell but it would still be more than the viewsonic ?

I need an answer soon as the sale price i got for the viewsonic is only good till the 25th.
Nothing complicated at all according to this thread http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1842727&enterthread=y

The Viewsonic is still the clear winner if these people are correct about the banding issues.
 

lcdguy

n00b
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
47
i'm glad cause i already ordered the viewsonic :D i think it will make a nice bday gift to myself :D
 

samduhman

Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
977
This thread has also sold me on the VX2025wm. Now my delimma is whether I should spend approx $80 more for piece of mind by purchasing at a local brick and mortar where I can return it easily?

Are all online stores return policies similar to Newegg concerning LCDs?
 

reddhaus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
287
Great thread!!

I have been looking at this monitor and this helps me a bunch. I think I will be odering one very soon.

:D
 

lcdguy

n00b
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
47
well the company i bought mine from has the extra service called Zero Dead Pixel policy where if your monitor gets a dead pixel within the first 30 days you can return it for a replacement free of charge.
 

tankkid

n00b
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
43
hey, this is now my second VX2025wm. I really like the monitor but ive been haveing a problem with it. I started using this monitor on my old pc for about a week and then i upgraded my pc i noticed that on the left side of the monitor i had about a 1 inch stripe blue going down the monitor. I got a new and it worked good. now about a week or two later this monitor started doing it. I first noticed it starting as a very light red and then got darker and bluer. It only occurs on a white or very light backround, not dark ones. Here are some pictures:

 

DigitalEdge

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
150
tankkid said:
hey, this is now my second VX2025wm. I really like the monitor but ive been haveing a problem with it. I started using this monitor on my old pc for about a week and then i upgraded my pc i noticed that on the left side of the monitor i had about a 1 inch stripe blue going down the monitor. I got a new and it worked good. now about a week or two later this monitor started doing it. I first noticed it starting as a very light red and then got darker and bluer. It only occurs on a white or very light backround, not dark ones. Here are some pictures:

What graphics card you running?
 

Hurricane

n00b
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
7
Hello all

I've been reading this thread from the 1st page and this monitor seems to be it for me. Although I have a tiny request to the vx2025 users before buying it - could you take a straight picture of the desktop with the start menu bar at 1680x1050 and at 1280x960 or something). Thanks a lot!
 

tankkid

n00b
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
43
DigitalEdge said:
What graphics card you running?
I have a BFG 7900GT

Yesterday I started switching cables to see if that made a difference and then i tried the dvi-vga converter and now the dvi input on my monitor wont work. The VGA quality is horrible so right now im back to my 17in princeton and the same thing is NOT happening. The DVI works and there is no lines.

Thanks for the replys, hopefully i can figure out what is going on.
 

tankkid

n00b
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
43
now after it was plugged into my 17in and i plugged in my 2025vm it worked, but still the lines
 

DigitalEdge

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
150
tankkid said:
now after it was plugged into my 17in and i plugged in my 2025vm it worked, but still the lines
You don’t have anything tweaked in the nvidia display properties do you? You running at 60 Hertz? You are also in the native res of 1680x1050 rite? and have the current driver installed if you run windows update there is a new driver.

Also somewhere in theis thread theres a way to restore dvi input if needbe
 

tankkid

n00b
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
43
yes, 60 hertz and for some reason after i plugged in the vga there ws no more1680x1050 res so i have it on 1600x1024. I'll dl the update now to see if that helps
 
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
3,746
I hope you can get that problem resolved,but those screenies you upped are scary !!! It sounds like this Viewsonic has a few kinks that need to be worked out. I would be pretty supremely pissed if I went through 2 returns on a what is here in Canada a 560~ dollar item with tax only to find out yet again that it has to be returned! Is the 2025 in those shots,you're latest rma return from them ? I would send that back,if after trying factory defaults,as well as a few different driver revisions,it still had those 'blue' lines. :( I wish you luck.
 

tankkid

n00b
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
43
yes those are from my 2nd monitor, im not too pissed because my dad works in the computer buisness and he gets them for a little cheaper. Plus, where he gets parts from, if there is something wrong with the product within 30 days they just exchange it at the place for free. Not too annoying
 

DigitalEdge

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
150
tankkid said:
yes, 60 hertz and for some reason after i plugged in the vga there ws no more1680x1050 res so i have it on 1600x1024. I'll dl the update now to see if that helps
what your saying here tells me it may not be the lcd there may be somthing else going on,
Is there another computer in you home you can hook the lcd up to? Also you should always stay in the native resolution of 1680x1050

does that gray line show up in all resolutions?
 

tankkid

n00b
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
43
yes, its in all resolutions. If it doesnt show up as an option for 1680x1050 how do i get it?
 

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
5,779
ok im sure your tired of answering upward of 20pages of respose (some of it completly unconstructive criticism you bastards) but it looks like im gonna get me a new monitor to replace my ever-so-trusty 19" Samsung 955df, and this one im going to get is primarily for gaming, and the monitor you got, Viewsonic 2025 seems pretty sweet, but it apparently has speakers so onto my question.

the speakers... are they a joke? do you have any idea how big the cone is (ie how much base it has?) and it seems like you like yours so i could very well go for although im gonna miss my black, but thats no biggie.

but after just now learning that hl2 supports WIDESCREEN, i have to get a widescreen monitor, i mean you can see more! like... more! i wont have to turn 90 degrees to see people around corners! autta give me a few extra kills in the upcoming cal season.

thanks.
 

DigitalEdge

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
150
MrWizard6600 said:
ok im sure your tired of answering upward of 20pages of respose (some of it completly unconstructive criticism you bastards) but it looks like im gonna get me a new monitor to replace my ever-so-trusty 19" Samsung 955df, and this one im going to get is primarily for gaming, and the monitor you got, Viewsonic 2025 seems pretty sweet, but it apparently has speakers so onto my question.

the speakers... are they a joke? do you have any idea how big the cone is (ie how much base it has?) and it seems like you like yours so i could very well go for although im gonna miss my black, but thats no biggie.

but after just now learning that hl2 supports WIDESCREEN, i have to get a widescreen monitor, i mean you can see more! like... more! i wont have to turn 90 degrees to see people around corners! autta give me a few extra kills in the upcoming cal season.

thanks.
Speakers are OK, but for gaming don’t even bother with them. Umm as for base what base :)

Halflife and cs2 are incredible in widescreen.
 

DasFox

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
479
Guys, I'm really thinking to snag one of these Viewsonics. But how does this Viewsonic stack up against the NEC 20WGX2 and Dell 2007WFP?

THANKS
 

samduhman

Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
977
Went to buy this monitor today in a brick and mortar and the one on display scared me out of it. Im sure it was a settings issue or it was defective but I didn't feel comfortable buying one with the issue I saw. The text was not sharp. Not only was it not sharp but it had a blueish/purple haze to the letters. This is not normal is it? What was going on? :confused:

I would also like to confirm with those who play FPSers that ghosting is "not" an issue with this lcd?

thanks
 

samduhman

Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
977
DasFox said:
Guys, I'm really thinking to snag one of these Viewsonics. But how does this Viewsonic stack up against the NEC 20WGX2 and Dell 2007WFP?

THANKS
The NEC spanks it according to what I've read but it has a glare screen which may be troublesome in the wrong lighting. It also costs a bit more. The Dell supposedly has banding issues.
 

jedicri

n00b
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
29
samduhman said:
Went to buy this monitor today in a brick and mortar and the one on display scared me out of it. Im sure it was a settings issue or it was defective but I didn't feel comfortable buying one with the issue I saw. The text was not sharp. Not only was it not sharp but it had a blueish/purple haze to the letters. This is not normal is it? What was going on? :confused:

I would also like to confirm with those who play FPSers that ghosting is "not" an issue with this lcd?

thanks
Contrast, Digital Vibrance and Brightness is adjustable through my vid card's panel (I have an Nvidia card); I used these to suit my viewing needs with regards to texts and whatnot.

As for FPSers, I've had no problems with ghosting; I can't speak for others here however.
 

DasFox

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
479
samduhman said:
The NEC spanks it according to what I've read but it has a glare screen which may be troublesome in the wrong lighting. It also costs a bit more. The Dell supposedly has banding issues.

Hmm, so the NEC seems to be the top dog here. Yes I've seen that glare screen before.

Well besides these 3 is there anything else worth mentioning?

THANKS
 

sanitystream

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
144
DasFox said:
Guys, I'm really thinking to snag one of these Viewsonics. But how does this Viewsonic stack up against the NEC 20WGX2 and Dell 2007WFP?

I have used both the Viewsonic and Dell. I had the Viewsonic for awhile and returned it and now I have the Dell 2007. My vote is for the Dell because it can do aspect ratio control. Otherwise, both monitors are pretty equal in performance. I will say that text seems to be ever so slightly fuzzier on the Dell via DVI at native res.

I returned the Viewsonic simply because I was trying out different monitors and exchanged it for the Gateway. That didn't impress me, so now I tried the Dell. If the Dell hadn't worked out, I would've gone back to the Viewsonic.

Either monitor is a good one, it mainly depends on whether you want aspect ratio control (Dell) or don't mind non-native resolutions stretched to fit (Viewsonic).

Yes, buying LCDs can make you go insane.
 

blank

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
3,203
i took some pics for comparison to the NEC20WGX2 thread






i used my old canon SD500 5.0mpix camera
 

Son

n00b
Joined
Apr 22, 2006
Messages
8
I'm tossing up between the Dell 2007WFP and this, but there's one question I have. I think I already know the answer, but I just want to be sure before I gamble with Dell's dead pixel policy.

This is a scaling question. I'm planning to plug my PC to the DVI slot and leave a Dreamcast plugged into the VGA slot. Will the Viewsonic stretch the Dramcast display to fill the 16:10 ratio, or will I somehow be able to configure it to keep the original 4:3 ratio with black bars on the sides?
 
Top