Viewsonic VP2772 27-inch 2560x1440 IPS monitor

Picked up yesterday, some first tests:
backlight bleed:

uniformity is not excellent:
, , ,
- these pictures show white screen in sRGB mode, strongly underexposed to show subtle differences in backlight distribution

Antiglare coating is very fine:
, ,
- it has no visible effect on perceived picture quality, no crosshatching effect occurs

no dead or stuck pixels so far :)

Good news: 30-bit colors rendering (10-bit/color channel support):
, ,
- 30-bit rendering disabled (see fine gradient banding) and enabled -banding free (please ignore the moiré caused by camera)
- notice that lagom.nl gradient is insufficient as a test in this case. 30-bit rendering still requires application and/or driver support - at least under Windows.

MENUs:
, ,

Color Profiles switching (with sRGB and AdobeRGB presets!):
, ,

User accessible Response Time (Overdrive) settings:
, ,
- DELL, take note please!

Easy DaisyChain via DisplayPort:
(Inputs: 1x HDMI, 1x dual-link DVI-D, 1x DP, 1x miniDP; Outputs: 1x DP, 1x 3.5mm stereo audio)

, ,
- HP, take note please !

Color Gamut:
compared to sRGB and to AdobeRGB
vre6.jpg
dbgd.jpg

Speed test
Response Time Setting standard:

11314520493_b2e857f28b.jpg
<--

Response Time Setting advanced:
11314496306_3280c08428.jpg
<--

Response Time Setting ultra fast:
11314558275_9b11339b03.jpg
<--

Detailed color settings
we get 'USER COLOR' mode / preset with RED, GREEN, BLUE adjustment sliders <0-100>:

- notice that 'USER COLOR' mode / preset gets activated once we enter this sub menu
- R/G/B sliders are nested in 'USER COLOR', so we cannot adjust single color channels in any other mode.

in sRGB mode/preset:
[here sRGB is on/active and AdobeRGB highlighted]

- notice that the 'CONTRAST / BRIGHTNESS' menu, the 'DYNAMIC CONTRAST' and 'ECO MODE' settings are unavailable (deactivated) in sRGB mode
- in all other color modes / presets these can be freely set.

we get also 'GAMMA' adjustment in 3 settings / steps:

-- no detailed info or numerical value is given.

After calibration:
[VP2772 compared to PA301W]
, ,
- NEC was calibrated using NEC branded matched X-rite sensor with SpectraView software, while for Viewsonic calibration the Color Munki Photo + bundled software were used.
- Color Munki bundled software seems pretty limited, so I would say there still is room for improvement. Unfortunately, open-source Argyll CMS crashes on my PC repeatedly.

Last edited:
Nice one.

Blacks and uniformity always looks worse on camera. Bleed is acceptable on your sample.

You gaming on it?

got it for general purpose: coding, browsing, media, photo editing work etc.
I don't play games anymore but it seems to be pretty quick for that

10 bit support sent through displayport to an AMD gpu? The first uniformity picture looks very good. Can you check for overshoot ghosting here? Overshoot ghosting consists of glowing halos/shields forming around moving objects. The AMA Premium picture shows overshoot ghosting captured on camera. I know Digital Versus stated that the VP2772 only overshoots once the overdrive setting is increased but the Viewsonic has three overdrive settings and Digital Versus failed to mention which setting they used.

Are the color settings locked when the sRGB mode is selected? What kind of color controls does it have? Six Axis or the typical RGB controls? Any gradient banding in the Lagom Gradient Test?

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no AMD GPU at hand. I'm using nVidia Quadro 410 graphics card.

Must be serious about your work :) Thanks for the overdrive pictures, the default (Standard) setting looks good but the others don't look horrible.

Myself going to wait couple years to see what Nvidia's G-Sync will do. No point buying hi-res till its integrated into high end monitors.

I have an issue with my Lenovo ThinkPad connected via Ultrabase docking station and DP cable (tried 3 different cables): VP2772 report no signal, Thinkpad is unable to detect this monitor is attached to digital DP out and forwards its output to VGA out.
No such issues with NEC PA301W (it has its own :)).
I can connect ThinkPad via DP-->DVI, but Intel® HD Graphics driver (i7 620LM) restricts highest custom resolution to 1920*1080, saying higher resolution exceeds the (cable) bandwidth. Has anyone any issues with this monitor?

Last edited:
I bought and tried DP -> miniDP cable today. Tried to connect the Thinkpad to the miniDP input...it haven't worked.
Still getting "No signal" message and TP outputs to VGA instead of to DP. DP -> DVI works, but is limited to 1920x1080.
I decided to return the Viewsonic. :mad:

It's probably the same as the U2713H but the VP2772 is a bad choice for multi-media use since the glow free Eizo EV2736W is the same price. If you would rather have over-saturated and inaccurate, wide gamut colors rather than far better blacks in dark scenes and accurate colors get the VP2772.

The VP2772 is a good alternative to the U2713H for those who need Adobe RGB support and want an all around-er since it is free from overshoot ghosting unlike the Dell U2713H.

yeah, those are the two that I'm thinking about... The VP2772 has sRGB mode and the eizo has backlight bleed as it seen from other threads. The Viewsonic might have them too, but it is a much newer monitor, and an improvement over the VP2770 which was already good... And I really doubt the black levels are that different. It also has <1dE deviation in colors in s RGB mode :eek: judging by the single review available.

I had a VP2770 and there was a very very tiny amount of backlight bleed at the bottom, it was almost perfect. Uniformity was perfect though. I had a good one.

Don't let what you have seen in other threads put you off.

The lack of glow makes a huge difference and GB-R LED back-lit monitors glow more vs. the standard gamut models and have worse viewing angles. Standard gamut BenQ vs. my glow free Qnix:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/10570519353_244ca70e3d_o.jpg

Now remember that glow manifests in both bottom corners, the wide gamut monitors glow more and one has to sit at least 3ft away from a 27" not to see any glow. I sit around 2ft away from my Qnix and enjoy a glow free experience :)

Any monitor can have BLB and the VP2772's sRGB mode has locked color controls. It's not supposed to replace the VP2772 just like the U2713H did not replace the U2713HM. These monitors are created to be affordable solutions for those who need a wide gamut monitor and 10 bit support.

If you live in the US Amazon sells the EV2736W and has a hassle free return+exchange policy.

Last edited:
Thank you for your helpful advices, NCX. I will think about it. :) I like the vp2772 more because it is not an EIZO and it is new and the IPS glow doesn't bother me much.... Also I'm perfectly OK with using only sRGB mode, if it's calibrated well enough. Most likely I will get the vp2772 next week instead of the ev2736w. But I still will be thinking about it. I have the time before I get the money for fg2421. The situation with PWM on the viewsonic is still unclear, and it is the key point for me in choosing the monitor now. I emailed the viewsonic support and they are researching this matter.

If you would rather have over-saturated and inaccurate, wide gamut colors rather than far better blacks in dark scenes and accurate colors get the VP2772.
how did you come to this statement is a mystery to me, because VP2772 has very accurate colours AND you can switch between AdobeRGB and sRGB presets !
As you can see from my shor review, it's capable of matching the NEC in color accuracy.
And you sure do not want to tell anybody that that beast has inaccurate colors, do you?

In fact, VP2772 is an excellent on budget photographer's choice IMHO ;)

Last edited:
babeliak - did you try to play some games on it? What is your opinion on gaming on this monitor? Thank you.

how did you come to this statement is a mystery to me, because VP2772 has very accurate colours AND you can switch between AdobeRGB and sRGB presets!

I was referring to the advantages it offered over the Eizo EV2736W. If one would rather have over-saturated colors the VP2772 provides that option. Buying it only to use the sRGB mode is silly (especially since Murzkilla has owned 3x 1440p monitors with less glow and similar measured black levels which he didn't like) over the EV2736W which has much better blacks due to the lack of glow and unlocked color controls.

Last edited:
Well, every monitor I tend to use in sRGB preset anyway, even if it is natively 72% NTSC... And if it doesn't have such preset - I calibrate it to it and force the profile in games with monitor wizard software, which adds laggg btw. This monitor should have perfect sRGB preset- just what I need. It most likely PWM-free like Dell, and it should ghost less than Yamasaki Catleap. I expect it to be a bit less responsive than catleap in 60hz mode, but that's ok.
Anyway it arrives this Thursday, and I will be able to verify everything myself.

could an owner of this screen test it for PWM using the tests described here (white line and camera test):
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

Add me to the list of users interested in finding out whether this monitor uses PMW at all.
If it's similar to its cousin, the Dell 2713H, I seem to have read that it actually uses very high frequency pulses (11250hz) between 20 and 50% brightness.
If it's similar to the Viewsonic 2770, then there's no PMW used whatsoever...

Also, can anyone confirm whether the 2772 is a TRUE 10bit monitor? From the official specs, it appears to be so, but then again, they could very well mean that the monitor does support a 10bit input but in reality, is just a 8-bit + FRC panel (which is still OK).
Again, if it's exactly the same as the Dell 2713H, it's not a true 10bit/channel panel.

I'm about to order 3 of those puppies for my company, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could clarify/bring me some info regarding those two points.

Thanx a bunch!

Damn! I just ordered two! Are you absolutely sure it uses PWM? Did you measure it?
I was under the impression it would be the same as the dell...(PWM free)

Hmm....
Just received my VP2772 monitors and did the test with the camera.
It sure looks like there's no PWM used. While it's always possible I did the test wrong, I repeated it about 15 times at various shutter speeds (betweeb 1/2 and 1/25th of a second), and there doesn't appear to be any pulses in the image taken.

Anybody could confirm this (or prove me wrong)?
Thanx

I learned it from here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNqeO8HzWPw

Also directly from Viewsonic support judging by their vague responses like we don't know, but "If you could allow me, I can able to forward this concerns to the proper channels for further checking."
Or
"would you mine if I may ask if there is any particular reason why you want to know if the VP2772 has PWM or not? " <-- most likely coming for the "proper channel". ;)
Really, I like Viewsonic company and there monitors, and highly recommend them over the other brands, but this particular monitor has PWM. Probably of a very high frequency, like its DELL brother.

Hi Thanx for the link.

Are you talking about the 2713H? If that's the case, I heard that the PWM is of so high a frequency (>11Khz) that we can consider it PWM free.

Also, do you know if is it a true 10 bit panel?
TO finish with, do you happen to knwo whether it can it be hardware calibrated?

Thanx

Oh yeah, and BTW, what's this nonsense about not being able to adjust either contrast or brightness when in SRGB mode???
All seems fine in all other modes! What gives?

No, I don't know about the 10-bit panel or hardware calibration.
Lack of brightness control in sRGB mode should be a serious let down... Glad I didn't get it. :(

yeah, I know! Serious bug (if that's a bug) or serious omission (if that's the case).
But I kid you not: no adjustment of either brightness or control is possible while in sRGB, I triple checked both my monitors...
I've emailed Viewsonic about this, but I've got the feeling they consider it a "feature" and are not considering fixing it via a possible firmware update.
That and the opacity on their part about hardware calibration, true 10 bit panel, and PWM is a bit much to swallow after spending a fair amount of money on so called "pro" monitors (or at least monitors "aimed" at pros).
Anyway, I think I'm returning them first thing on monday morning. Shame as those could have been really fantastic products.
I'm thinking of getting the Dells (2713H) instead.

All wide gamut consumer monitors sRGB modes have locked color controls. Only wide gamut monitors with hardware calibration allow customization. The VP2772 likely uses the same 8 bit+FRC panel as the U2713H and one needs a Firepro or Quaddro gpu to send a 10 bit signal and to use one of the very few programs which support 10 bit like Adobe CS6.

The U2713H's brightness settings are unlocked but it suffers from very obvious overshoot ghosting, has very high input lag when not using the game mode (it uses the wrong gamut for game, the colors suck and the color controls are locked) and may suffer from a very strong green tint. The U2713H is only decent when software calibrated (the hardware calibration doesn't work properly) in the Custom Color mode and used for photography in color managed applications.

The NEC PA272W is the cheapest 27" with hardware calibration. Not counting the PA271W since it uses a grainy matte coating and has poor black levels. 750$ buys an NEC P242W which is not wide gamut but supports hardware calibration, as does the PA242W which is wide gamut but has poor black levels according to both Anandtech & PRAD's reviews.

Last edited:
Thanx for your reply.

The VP2772 likely uses the same 8 bit+FRC panel as the U2713H
Yeah, I kinda came up to the same conclusion after not getting a straight offciial answer from Viewsonic. I was hoping for a ture 10bit panel, given the price difference with teh Dell...

one needs a Firepro or Quaddro gpu to send a 10 bit signal and to use one of the very few programs which support 10 bit like Adobe CS6.
Yep, exactly what I intend to do. Photoshop CC also allows for a true 10bit workflow with Quadro, but apparently not with Firepro. Some kind of bug apparently. Adobe and ATI keep blaming each other...

U2713H is only decent when software calibrated (the hardware calibration doesn't work properly)
Oh, right.. Did you observe that yourself? Cos' the reviews I read (TFTCentral, Anandtech and Prad seem to indicate that hardware calibrating works very weel with an i1 Display, and are even better with the newly qualified i1 Pro Spectrophotometers (black levels reading improvements/accuracy)
I intend to calibrate with my Colormunki Photo though, so not really an issue.

The NEC PA272W is the cheapest 27" with hardware calibration.
Had a look at this one, but I don't think it's PWM free though, is it? EDIT: silly me, I just had a look on the NEC website, and they do indicate the PWM frequency used: it's 44000Hz, which is very very high!
I'm like super sensitive to those nasty pulses and get headaches even at rather high frequencies, so PWM free, or super high frequencies are a must for me.

BTW, Anybody tested and confirmed whether or not the Viewsonic uses or not PWM, and if yes, at what frequency?
From my test, I couldn't see any pulses, but I might have done the tests wrong, or the frequency could be too high for my camera to perceive it...

Back