ViewSonic VP2770: 2560x1440 Semi-Glossy PLS

....For the viewing angle test, although I have stopped searching for a new monitor for now, the ones that I tried last month and the month before all had slight inconsistencies. I believe it's unavoidable for displays without a color compensator so it's unlikely that you'll be able to find a sRGB display that is completely consistent. I would say that as a general rule, if you notice incorrect colors at the edges when viewing head-on (meaning when your head is centered relative to the area you're looking at, not relative to the display as a whole), the uniformity is unacceptable. If the colors appear to be correct when viewed head-on but incorrect at an angle, that's probably as good as you're going to get with these larger sized displays. It seems that IPS panels still have issues with viewing angles though not to the degree of TN and VA panels. The only way to completely avoid the problem right now might be to get a CRT.

I appreciate the response kenox!

I just received my 4th VP2770 and I finally found a keeper! The panel is near perfect albeit not 100% consistent across the screen. Thankfully the slight inconsistency is not noticeable in day to day usage like my previous 3 were, so I am happy with it.

Funny enough, this one has least accurate calibration according to the factory report, but I'll be correcting that myself anyway.

Those of you playing the lottery game, don't give up if you have a good retailer. I even gave Viewsonic a call and they said the same thing that is echoed here: it's luck of the draw.

I appreciate the response kenox!

I just received my 4th VP2770 and I finally found a keeper! The panel is near perfect albeit not 100% consistent across the screen. Thankfully the slight inconsistency is not noticeable in day to day usage like my previous 3 were, so I am happy with it.

Funny enough, this one has least accurate calibration according to the factory report, but I'll be correcting that myself anyway.

Those of you playing the lottery game, don't give up if you have a good retailer. I even gave Viewsonic a call and they said the same thing that is echoed here: it's luck of the draw.

Could you test your screen with a solid full screen dark grey background? The color I'm talking about is similar to what is used in these forums as a background for posts.

Mine shows a few irregularities displaying a very very dark grey color full screen. It appears as a very faint horizontal line or dark edge in a specific of places on the screen so the color is not completely smooth from top to bottom. These are not banding lines, and they do not extend across the whole screen, more like a little horizontal irregularity in the color. You have to look very very close, inches from the screen and have the brightness set pretty high. Normally I won't have it set this way but I'm just trying to determine if this is normal. I have a feeling that it is likely normal and most people don't look at a screen at full brightness at 2 inches. From a normal distance the dark grey color looks smooth and uniform.

The odd thing is all other colors look perfectly smooth, it is just very dark grey colors don't look completely smooth when viewed full screen (light grey no problem). They do from normal viewing distance but not up close.

Could you test your screen with a solid full screen dark grey background? The color I'm talking about is similar to what is used in these forums as a background for posts.

Mine shows a few irregularities displaying a very very dark grey color full screen. It appears as a very faint horizontal line or dark edge in a specific of places on the screen so the color is not completely smooth from top to bottom. These are not banding lines, and they do not extend across the whole screen, more like a little horizontal irregularity in the color. You have to look very very close, inches from the screen and have the brightness set pretty high. Normally I won't have it set this way but I'm just trying to determine if this is normal. I have a feeling that it is likely normal and most people don't look at a screen at full brightness at 2 inches. From a normal distance the dark grey color looks smooth and uniform.

The odd thing is all other colors look perfectly smooth, it is just very dark grey colors don't look completely smooth when viewed full screen (light grey no problem). They do from normal viewing distance but not up close.

I sampled the color from the forum and put it into Photoshop at full screen. There are in fact very faint horizontal lines like you mentioned, but you have to really really be looking. They resemble banding lines to me, though we know they are not.

I don't think it's something anyone would see during normal use at normal viewing distance. I'm assuming this is normal for this panel and it's not a deal breaker for me.

Hope that helps! :)

I sampled the color from the forum and put it into Photoshop at full screen. There are in fact very faint horizontal lines like you mentioned, but you have to really really be looking. They resemble banding lines to me, though we know they are not.

I don't think it's something anyone would see during normal use at normal viewing distance. I'm assuming this is normal for this panel and it's not a deal breaker for me.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks, that really does help. Now I know it is likely normal for the VP2770. I really didn't want to exchange because other than the dark grey irregularities the panel is perfect. No back-light bleed, good uniformity, no stuck/dead pixels. It would seem a shame to play the lottery game again when I already received an excellent panel.

I'm curious if this grey irregularity occurs on other PLS panels or if it is just a quirk of the VP2770. I have nothing to compare it against so I may never know. And I think most people would never see it unless they knew exactly what to look for. Again, now that I have it set to normal brightness and I'm sitting a normal distance, I can't see the very faint lines at all.

Just out of curiosity, could you also tell me the manufacture date on the latest unit you received? I'm not sure if is listed on the unit itself, but it was listed on the box of mine. I think mine was built November 2013, but I'll need to double check. It seems most current shipping units were built in November.

Last edited:
Hello there,

My viewsonic vp2770 arrived yesterday. This thing is huge. But the left side of the screen seems to be more yellowish than the right side. Is this something that happened?

Also, this monitor is connected to a retina macbook pro late 2013 by mdp to dp. Apple has a problem where it sends signal in ycbcr instead of rgb. There is a patch for this here: http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor
Does anyone use this monitor with an apple computer using mavericks? Is it possible to know in the OSD what signal the monitor is receiving?

Thank you

Check the menu under Information. It'll list resolution, frequencies, pixel clock, model and serial numbers.

Hello there,

My viewsonic vp2770 arrived yesterday. This thing is huge. But the left side of the screen seems to be more yellowish than the right side. Is this something that happened?

Also, this monitor is connected to a retina macbook pro late 2013 by mdp to dp. Apple has a problem where it sends signal in ycbcr instead of rgb. There is a patch for this here: http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor
Does anyone use this monitor with an apple computer using mavericks? Is it possible to know in the OSD what signal the monitor is receiving?

Thank you

I've been trying to discover the same thing. I recently recieved a VP2770 and it is hooked up to a MacBook Pro. I was actually about to start a thread on it. OS X thinks the monitor is a TV, which in the past has been a sign that it is using YCbCr instead of RGB. That being said, the colors look fine and I don't see any image quality issues other users reported when there was this mismatch. If you find the answer let me know.

Could you also do one thing for me. Sometimes on solid dark grey, full screen backgrounds I can see some very faint horizontal edges. Could you test your screen for this? Another VP2770 owner noticed this too, but we both concluded it is not a big deal since they are extremely faint and cannot be seen normally. They don't look like banding, just some horizontal irregularities here and there. They can only be seen inches from the screen at a high brightness. Posts from earlier this month can give you some details. Again, this isn't really a defect because it cannot be seen from a normal distance or at normal brightness. And it is only visible on very dark grey full screen images. The dark grey is the equivalent to the background of posts on these forums.

After having used the monitor for a few more weeks I wanted to provide some updates.

First of all I will repeat what I really like about this monitor, because I don't want people to focus on only the negatives. Colors look amazing. I don't have calibration tools so I'm using native mode which looks really good. Pixel response seems very good, but I'm coming from an old IPS monitor, not a fast TN panel. The built quality seems really good. Very solid and surprisingly heavy.

The only downside I've noticed is that solid grey uniformity could be better. Oddly enough all other colors look extremely uniform. I only notice the uniformity issue when I look a solid dark grey images full screen. When testing dark grey uniformity I can see a few darker areas on the left side of the screen and I can see some faint lines here and there. It isn't a huge deal, because the rest of the screen is great, but it is the one downside I've noticed. Oddly enough once I started testing other screens for dark grey uniformity I found others had issues too. What's funny is the monitor that looked the best for grey uniformity was actually the only TN panel I use. Go figure.

Other than that the screen is great. I was considering changing it for another unit, just to see if the grey screen uniformity was just the unit I received, but decided I didn't want to risk other possible quality control issues I could get, since the rest is near perfect.

Hope this update helps others.

I just got one of these, too. So far, very good. I haven't had time to do any serious exploration into its perfections and lack thereof, but I did a little visual calibration tweaking, just a little, and it's looking great. It's a great improvement over my aged 24" display and the added pixels and sharpness are ideal for the work I'm doing. It's going to save me time on top of its aesthetic appeal.

I'm running this as a second monitor off of a current model 15" rMBP. Incredibly, mini DP to DP cables are not easy to come by. I'd prefer to get one with the 1.2 spec, but the one I found on Amazon is out of stock for the foreseeable future. Fry's didn't have anything close. Even the Apple store doesn't have such a thing at their customary jaw dropping prices. On top of it, nobody there even seemed to know that anyone might have use for such a cable or why. "Why not just use HDMI", they said. And this is close to Apple headquarters. Newegg has some, but they don't say which DP spec they are at. They have an adapter that I may buy, though, one that has a 4" cable that sidesteps the problem I'll describe in the next paragraph.

Actually, I would like to use HDMI because that port exists on the computer and I'd rather use that than occupy another one that could be used for other things. I gave it a try and it does display at native resolution, though the monitor OSD prompts me to switch to a lower resolution. The OS X Displays Preference Pane tells me that I'm running at 60 hz with HDMI, but I don't know that that's really happening. I also tried HDMI to DVI, but that dropped me down to 1920x1080, which doesn't cut it. So back to DP I went. It'll be fine for awhile, until I find the right cable or adapter.

If anyone has any thoughts about this HDMI issue with this monitor and a rMBP, please share them here.

I did find, at a local mid-sized chain, a mini DP to DP adapter, which I'm using, along with the DP to DP cable that ships with the display. But, its width renders one of my Thunderbolt ports inaccessible and I'd been using that port as an ethernet port. I have an alternative, which is to use a USB ethernet adapter in the monitor. Seems to be working fine. Still, I'd like to find the right cable and/or adapter.

Last edited:
I just got one of these, too. So far, very good. I haven't had time to do any serious exploration into its perfections and lack thereof, but I did a little visual calibration tweaking, just a little, and it's looking great. It's a great improvement over my aged 24" display and the added pixels and sharpness are ideal for the work I'm doing. It's going to save me time on top of its aesthetic appeal.

I'm running this as a second monitor off of a current model 15" rMBP. Incredibly, mini DP to DP cables are not easy to come by. I'd prefer to get one with the 1.2 spec, but the one I found on Amazon is out of stock for the foreseeable future. Fry's didn't have anything close. Even the Apple store doesn't have such a thing at their customary jaw dropping prices. On top of it, nobody there even seemed to know that anyone might have use for such a cable or why. "Why not just use HDMI", they said. And this is close to Apple headquarters. Newegg has some, but they don't say which DP spec they are at. They have an adapter that I may buy, though, one that has a 4" cable that sidesteps the problem I'll describe in the next paragraph.

Actually, I would like to use HDMI because that port exists on the computer and I'd rather use that than occupy another one that could be used for other things. I gave it a try and it does display at native resolution, though the monitor OSD prompts me to switch to a lower resolution. The OS X Displays Preference Pane tells me that I'm running at 60 hz with HDMI, but I don't know that that's really happening. I also tried HDMI to DVI, but that dropped me down to 1920x1080, which doesn't cut it. So back to DP I went. It'll be fine for awhile, until I find the right cable or adapter.

If anyone has any thoughts about this HDMI issue with this monitor and a rMBP, please share them here.

I did find, at a local mid-sized chain, a mini DP to DP adapter, which I'm using, along with the DP to DP cable that ships with the display. But, its width renders one of my Thunderbolt ports inaccessible and I'd been using that port as an ethernet port. I have an alternative, which is to use a USB ethernet adapter in the monitor. Seems to be working fine. Still, I'd like to find the right cable and/or adapter.

My understanding was that the DisplayPort 1.2 spec worked with most 1.1a spec cables. I could be wrong on this, I admit to being no expert, but one website I was reading claimed that getting a 1.2 spec cable was mainly marketing, because the 1.2 spec is designed to work with existing cables. It also may be different for adapters and special cables (maybe mini-display port is different?).

I'm surprised and happy you can get full resolution with the HDMI cable, there were mixed reports that the HDMI port on the VP2770 supports anything above 1080p. I'm also not surprised that the HDMI to DVI adapter didn't work, as you usually need dual-link DVI to get 1440p and I think most adapters convert the signal into single-link DVI.

Good luck on your continued testing. I've been very happy with mine.

According to OS X's System Information app, I get 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz via HDMI and @ 59 Hz via DisplayPort. Whether these numbers are accurate or not, I don't know. If I switch to HDMI, I always get an OSD message from the monitor suggesting that I switch the resolution to 1920x1080. That kind of makes me uncomfortable, like running via HDMI isn't healthy for the display.

I called Viewsonic ask about this, but the support guy wasn't of any help.

According to OS X's System Information app, I get 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz via HDMI and @ 59 Hz via DisplayPort. Whether these numbers are accurate or not, I don't know. If I switch to HDMI, I always get an OSD message from the monitor suggesting that I switch the resolution to 1920x1080. That kind of makes me uncomfortable, like running via HDMI isn't healthy for the display.

I called Viewsonic ask about this, but the support guy wasn't of any help.

That's interesting. I'll try to find a spare HDMI cable this week hook one of my computers up via HDMI to see if it does the same thing. Honestly I purchased it figuring the HDMI port was limited to 1080p anyway, so I just hooked my two computers up via DisplayPort and Dual-Link DVI. I'm guessing that when this monitor came out, most video cards didn't push more than 1080p via HDMI.

I haven't read anything clearly definitive, but my 11,3 3 month old rMBP can supposedly drive a display via HDMI at a littler higher resolution than this monitor has at 60 Hz.

I called Viewsonic again and the support person today told me that if the video card can send the signal, that the monitor can display it, up to its maximum resolution and refresh rate. The hourly (or so) reminders from the OSD that I should set the resolution to 1920x1080 are ominous. But the tech guy said they don't matter, that there's no problem in displaying at these numbers with HDMI.

The pixels are self-evident, but not the refresh rate. Still, as mentioned, System Information tells me that I'm actually getting marginally better refresh rates via HDMI.

I like using HDMI just because it keeps the other ports free and it has no other use on the Mac. But when my new mini-DP to DP adapter comes tomorrow, I may go back to DP anyway.

Last edited:
Don't think you want the maximum black level, the higher the black level the grayer the blacks become :cool:

These settings are for 140cd/m2 brightness, 6500k color temperature and 2.2 gamma on mine:

Brightness: 26
Contrast: 70 (default)
Red: 100
Green: 96
Blue: 93

Manual Image Adjust Menu>Response Time>Advanced

ICC Profile:
http://rapidshare.com/files/4189818587/VP2770Matrix.icm

Scroll down to find ICC Profile installation instructions
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

NCX, can you reupload that VP2770Matrix.icm ICC profile?

I'm getting a 'file not found' on rapidshare when I try to download.

Thanks

Can anyone help me? Pictured below is my VP2770. I've only had it a week or so. It looks darker in the bottom-right corner than the rest of the monitor, and the effect is a bit more severe in person than in the picture. Is that normal?

2ewfpz9.jpg

Both my AOC monitors have the exact same thing; I should probably let other vp2770 owners comment (since I don't own one) but at least for the AOC it appears to be normal. It bothered me for the first day but now I really don't notice it that much.

Can anyone help me? Pictured below is my VP2770. I've only had it a week or so. It looks darker in the bottom-right corner than the rest of the monitor, and the effect is a bit more severe in person than in the picture. Is that normal?

2ewfpz9.jpg

I have a VP2770. When running a full white screen test image I do notice that the lower right corner of the monitor is the darkest part of the screen. I can't tell if it is better or worse than your monitor because I would need to see them side by side. It is noticeable, but only when I'm running test images in a dark or dim room, otherwise I do not notice it. I'd say the darker area extends perhaps less than an inch from the lower corner, perhaps more when I'm running at full brightness in a completely dark room (which I never do).

In normal use I never notice it.

Both my AOC monitors have the exact same thing; I should probably let other vp2770 owners comment (since I don't own one) but at least for the AOC it appears to be normal. It bothered me for the first day but now I really don't notice it that much.

This is how I would describe my VP2770. I noticed a slightly darker corner the first day when running test images. When I turned the brightness down to normal levels and started using it, I did not notice it. Honestly I was just happy I got a monitor that didn't have awful back-light bleed, as that would bother me much more.

Quick question to VP2770 owners.

Every now and then my Windows 8 gaming PC won't wake the monitor up from sleep. Clarification: this is just the monitor going into standby, the computer itself is not in any kind of sleep mode. Normally I will move the mouse and the monitor will wake up. A few times a month, however, the monitor won't wake up from standby. It will act as if there is no signal from the computer. The computer is still running, it hasn't frozen, but I will either need to unplug/replug the DVI cable or restart the computer. Power cycling the monitor doesn't do anything.

Oddly enough my Mac has never had this problem which is connected via DisplayPort. In addition the Windows 8 machine never had this problem with my last monitor (Dell 2007WFP) connected via DVI.

It isn't a huge issue, but I was just curious if anyone had run across this issue. Overall the monitor is great.

Quick question to VP2770 owners.

Every now and then my Windows 8 gaming PC won't wake the monitor up from sleep. Clarification: this is just the monitor going into standby, the computer itself is not in any kind of sleep mode. Normally I will move the mouse and the monitor will wake up. A few times a month, however, the monitor won't wake up from standby. It will act as if there is no signal from the computer. The computer is still running, it hasn't frozen, but I will either need to unplug/replug the DVI cable or restart the computer. Power cycling the monitor doesn't do anything.

Oddly enough my Mac has never had this problem which is connected via DisplayPort. In addition the Windows 8 machine never had this problem with my last monitor (Dell 2007WFP) connected via DVI.

It isn't a huge issue, but I was just curious if anyone had run across this issue. Overall the monitor is great.

Had a similar problem with an old 1680*1050 monitor connected to a laptop via HDMI. Well, sort of, anyway: The laptop -did- go into sleep mode, but when it did, it would start connecting/disconnecting the monitor rapidly. The only thing that could fix it was unplugging and replugging the monitor to the laptop. If all else fails, perhaps a memory recall could fix the problem?

Addressing your response to my previous post on the dark corners: I've noticed that some LCD panels have it and some don't. I was browsing all the monitors at my Best Buy the other day to see if any of them had it, and even with pure white images, I couldn't reproduce the dark corner issues in any of them. But my flatscreen TV in the living room has it, and it is an IPS panel. I believe my Asus MX279H had it as well.

I'm willing to drop just about any amount of money for a fantastic monitor that will last me the next five years with outstanding color reproduction, resolution, and virtually no input lag. I believe that I've found that in the VP2770, but I'm not quite sure due to the whole dark corners thing. Even at zero percent brightness, I can still see it.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to shoot for a replacement; I'm still within the 30-day warranty offered by Newegg -and- I get free return shipping + no restocking fees on all my purchases as it is.

Had a similar problem with an old 1680*1050 monitor connected to a laptop via HDMI. Well, sort of, anyway: The laptop -did- go into sleep mode, but when it did, it would start connecting/disconnecting the monitor rapidly. The only thing that could fix it was unplugging and replugging the monitor to the laptop. If all else fails, perhaps a memory recall could fix the problem?

Addressing your response to my previous post on the dark corners: I've noticed that some LCD panels have it and some don't. I was browsing all the monitors at my Best Buy the other day to see if any of them had it, and even with pure white images, I couldn't reproduce the dark corner issues in any of them. But my flatscreen TV in the living room has it, and it is an IPS panel. I believe my Asus MX279H had it as well.

I'm willing to drop just about any amount of money for a fantastic monitor that will last me the next five years with outstanding color reproduction, resolution, and virtually no input lag. I believe that I've found that in the VP2770, but I'm not quite sure due to the whole dark corners thing. Even at zero percent brightness, I can still see it.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to shoot for a replacement; I'm still within the 30-day warranty offered by Newegg -and- I get free return shipping + no restocking fees on all my purchases as it is.

That is a tough call. From what I understand, uniformity on solid colors can often be luck of the draw. My VP2770 is not perfectly uniform, but for my standards it is very very good. If I'm really searching I can see some uniformity issues on certain test screens (mainly dark grey test screens), including the slightly darker corner I mentioned before, but in normal use I don't notice any issues. In fact I found most test screens to look excellent on my VP2770 compared to other monitors I've owned.

Related to the monitors you looked at in retail stores: uniformity issues may be more noticeable in dark rooms. I could be wrong about this, but since most retail stores have pretty powerful overhead lighting, it may be harder to see uniformity issues in store versus in a darker room, like a home office. I don't have much experience in this area, so I maybe completely wrong.

Would you try to exchange for the same model or try a different model?

If it helps I can try to describe the slightly darker corner on my VP2770. Again, on mine it is very minimal and is only noticeable on full screen test images. I tested it again on a full white test screen. It is a very small part of the screen that looks darker, I'd say less than a quarter of an inch. For my eyes I actually notice it more when I set the monitor to a low brightness versus a high brightness. The rest of the screen looks very good on a solid white test image. Other solid color test images also look very good to me for uniformity. Dark grey test images are a little less uniform, but it is still pretty good for my standards. I have noticed on some dark gray images when I look very close at full brightness I think I can see some faint horizontal lines here and there, but I can't see this in normal usage.

Overall I'd say uniformity on this screen is really very good, with dark grey being the weakest.

If it helps I can try to describe the slightly darker corner on my VP2770. Again, on mine it is very minimal and is only noticeable on full screen test images. I tested it again on a full white test screen. It is a very small part of the screen that looks darker, I'd say less than a quarter of an inch. For my eyes I actually notice it more when I set the monitor to a low brightness versus a high brightness. The rest of the screen looks very good on a solid white test image. Other solid color test images also look very good to me for uniformity. Dark grey test images are a little less uniform, but it is still pretty good for my standards. I have noticed on some dark gray images when I look very close at full brightness I think I can see some faint horizontal lines here and there, but I can't see this in normal usage.

Overall I'd say uniformity on this screen is really very good, with dark grey being the weakest.

What do you mean by color uniformity, exactly? I'm not very familiar with that term outside of dealing with color temperature uniformity (issues arising from lowering the color temp down to, say, 2700k producing blotches all over the screen; had this on my QNIX). A solid gray test image looks completely gray, minus the issues with the screen being a bit dark along the bottom and on the bottom right corner.

I guess it bothers me a bit because I have the windows taskbar at the top of the screen, and I can notice the much darker bottom right corner by looking at the bottom of my firefox window, where the color of that is usually a light blue, its been turned to a murky grayish sort of color due to the darkening. That, and it was noticeable while watching a movie (didn't have many dark scenes in said movie) the other day.

Well, as far as exchanging, I was hoping that I would get another VP2770 back without the dark corner, if that were possible. :( I was assuming that mine was just defective. Aside from said dark corner I love the display, but I'm kind of OCD about imperfections, especially considering the fact that I paid nearly $700 for this monitor (Got it at Newegg for around $680)

What do you mean by color uniformity, exactly? I'm not very familiar with that term outside of dealing with color temperature uniformity (issues arising from lowering the color temp down to, say, 2700k producing blotches all over the screen; had this on my QNIX). A solid gray test image looks completely gray, minus the issues with the screen being a bit dark along the bottom and on the bottom right corner.

I guess it bothers me a bit because I have the windows taskbar at the top of the screen, and I can notice the much darker bottom right corner by looking at the bottom of my firefox window, where the color of that is usually a light blue, its been turned to a murky grayish sort of color due to the darkening. That, and it was noticeable while watching a movie (didn't have many dark scenes in said movie) the other day.

Well, as far as exchanging, I was hoping that I would get another VP2770 back without the dark corner, if that were possible. :( I was assuming that mine was just defective. Aside from said dark corner I love the display, but I'm kind of OCD about imperfections, especially considering the fact that I paid nearly $700 for this monitor (Got it at Newegg for around $680)

By uniformity I just mean there are no inconsistencies in the color (no darker or lighter patches when viewing a full screen solid color image). Honestly even grey is very good, I just notice it isn't completely consistent when I look very very close.

I'll try moving my task bar to the top on my Windows-based machine and see if I can notice the slightly dark corner with my applications (including FireFox). Although I haven't noticed it yet and my primary machine is a Mac (no task bar at the bottom), so I think I would have noticed it by now as I am also pretty picky about my screens. I really only notice it when running full screen white test images. It isn't visible in movies, games, or anything else I've done yet, so perhaps you do just have a bad unit.

By uniformity I just mean there are no inconsistencies in the color (no darker or lighter patches when viewing a full screen solid color image). Honestly even grey is very good, I just notice it isn't completely consistent when I look very very close.

I'll try moving my task bar to the top on my Windows-based machine and see if I can notice the slightly dark corner with my applications (including FireFox). Although I haven't noticed it yet and my primary machine is a Mac (no task bar at the bottom), so I think I would have noticed it by now as I am also pretty picky about my screens. I really only notice it when running full screen white test images. It isn't visible in movies, games, or anything else I've done yet, so perhaps you do just have a bad unit.

I just noticed a discolored light blotch about the size of the inside of a drinking straw in diameter toward the middle-right of the screen. I think I'm going to go ahead and make an exhange or send it back.

I've been reading reviews everywhere for these 1440p IPS/PLS/AHVA etc screens, and the VP2770 has always come out on top in all of them, so I think I'm leaning towards simply exchanging this VP2770 for another VP2770.

I just noticed a discolored light blotch about the size of the inside of a drinking straw in diameter toward the middle-right of the screen. I think I'm going to go ahead and make an exhange or send it back.

I've been reading reviews everywhere for these 1440p IPS/PLS/AHVA etc screens, and the VP2770 has always come out on top in all of them, so I think I'm leaning towards simply exchanging this VP2770 for another VP2770.

I have read some other owner reviews who have found light circular marks on their VP2770 screens, usually the mark is about the width of a pencil. Although most of those complaints seem to be from a much older batch of VP2770s, so I'm honestly a bit surprised to see it happen again. When was your unit manufactured? I can tell you that I have not found any lighter spots on my screen like that.

I'd say you got a bad unit and if you liked the VP2770 overall, try another one. There are good ones out there and from our discussion it sounds like the "dark corner" on my screen is significantly less than yours, but it is hard to tell. Just like with any monitor it may take a few exchanges to get one without flaws. Otherwise I'd suggest the Eizo EV2736WFS. I have not personally used or owned one, it was a bit too expensive for me, but many people seem to really like it around here. Others also seem to really like the AOC Q2770PQU, although there are also many reports of "darker corners" on that monitor too.

Last edited:
My replacement VP2770 arrived Thursday. I might just be imagining things, but the dark corners on this panel don't seem to be quite as bad as they were on the previous VP2770 I had. I think there may be a VERY slight amount of backlight bleed near the bottom-left corner, but I can't tell. I can faintly something near the very bottom edge if I look for it , but I'd need some sort of test to confirm BLB.

Anyway, I'm assuming this is normal, right? It's not supposed to be perfectly pitch black near the edges, is it?

Update, noticed minimal light bleed along the left edge of the panel. Most noticible on gray background. On white backgrounds, it actually looks a bit darker instead of a bit lighter, which seems odd to me...

I was viewing this page:
http://cavestory.wikia.com/wiki/Toroko+

When I noticed the left side of the display had minimal lightbleed against the dark gray background.

Is this normal?

(Been well over a week with no new replies, so, bump)

Is this panel any good for gaming? I'm reading different input lag measurements from different sites. I'm assuming that the 7ms measurement from PRAD is a bust? I read somewhere that this panel has a 1.5 frame input lag...

This monitor has no discernible input delay at native resolution.

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. Are there any measurements on the VP2770's input lag at native resolution? Are the current crop of measurements going by non-native resolutions, such as those sent in by an Xbox or Playstation? Or, is the native resolution input lag 0 at native res?

I'm using dual-link DVI to connect my PC. Nothing else hooked up.

Is this panel any good for gaming? I'm reading different input lag measurements from different sites. I'm assuming that the 7ms measurement from PRAD is a bust? I read somewhere that this panel has a 1.5 frame input lag...

PRAD measured a 7.2ms signal delay over Displayport, other reviewers used DVI-D. Changing resolutions usually neither increases or decreases lag. The VP2770 is either on par or faster than other multi-input 1440p monitors depending on which delay measurements one wants to accept, and it's one of the fastest pixel response time wise (Advanced Setting).

For pure PC use, the Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710 or glossy MOTV M2700/Overlord Tempest/Yamakasi Catleap are definitely better since they are delay free, can overclock and can match the VP2770's color quality.

I recommend the BenQ BL2710PT or glossy Crossover 2720MDP over the VP2770 for console+PC use since both are cheaper and have slightly better colors and better blu-ray playback related features.

Information and Review links for all of the monitors mentioned above can be found in this thread.

Last edited:
PRAD measured a 7.2ms signal delay over Displayport, other reviewers used DVI-D. Changing resolutions usually neither increases or decreases lag. The VP2770 is either on par or faster than other multi-input 1440p monitors depending on which delay measurements one wants to accept, and it's one of the fastest pixel response time wise (Advanced Setting).

For pure PC use, the Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710 or glossy MOTV M2700/Overlord Tempest/Yamakasi Catleap are definitely better since they are delay free, can overclock and can match the VP2770's color quality.

I recommend the BenQ BL2710PT or glossy Crossover 2720MDP over the VP2770 for console+PC use since both are cheaper and have slightly better colors and better blu-ray playback related features.

Information and Review links for all of the monitors mentioned above can be found in this thread.

So, will operating the panel over displayport yield PRAD's 7ms measurement, as opposed to the 20ms+ measurements of other review sites? Or, rather, will operating over displayport decrease input lag?

Or, rather, will operating over displayport decrease input lag?

Maybe...the differences can be attributed to human error or panel revisions. Is there a reason (availability?) you are set on the VP2770 over the superior and cheaper AOC Q2770QPU, BenQ BL2710PT and Crossover 2720MDP or single input options for pure PC use?

Yes, unfortunately. I purchased the VP2770 after reading about its 7ms input lag and good pixel response time, thinking that it would be the perfect 1440p, 60hz IPS gaming monitor. My 30 day period of return for Newegg has expired as of a few days ago. I already own a QNIX, but the PWM killed my eyes. I thought at first that I could possibly be imagining things, but I didn't know what PWM was until the eye strain I was having caused me to investigate the situation. I have to turn the monitor up to full brightness to kill the PWM, or my eyes hurt a great deal (I've not had these issues on the VP2770). But, then that causes the panel to be too bright, which also hurts my eyes (in addition to severely washing out black levels).

Buy a few bright lights (2x Daylight/6500k Philips 2600 lumen) and enjoy your Qnix at maximum brightness :)

Back