Viewsonic VP191 (Rev: MVA 8 ms)

|Leviathan| said:
just got it~ geez guys this is one amazing lcd got it from my local retailer for approx 550 euros with an extended 3-yr warranty and a special RRR [Repair/Replace/Return] Policy worth the price no shipping extra fees and immediate substitution of monitor in case of any complications + the owner is a friend of mine so ... discount~

I'll just post my mini subjective review hope it helps:

-Design-

ye ok design, it lacks a bit I mean its nice and stylish and the product finish is really good, but you see at this point in time when almost all companies apart from the panel, work their way up via design, I mean sophisticated, artistic modern contemporary design which as I think almost all of you agree with me that the more stylish the better, after all it is a monitor, the most thing you'll look up at and it would be nicer if you felt even more confident

its a shame that with such a panel, extremely good panel view sonic did not implement a new design and even if not, at least they should have changed product name aye ... just imagine this panel with a design concept similar to the LG 1980U/P ... :~( *dream*

But anyway apart from my *only* regret, the finish as I already said is awesome, the material used is that of the type that gives you confidence and what about its pivot mode and ergonomics? indeed a good job even just the feeling of setting the height the way the monitor glides smoothly up and down~ nice touch

I have to admit also that from the product pics I found from reviews and on viewsonic's official page regarding the model, I wasn't quite impressed, the V-shaped base looks nice, but the stand, and the strange curvature on the back of the monitor ... well you know its just I like modern concepts ... *but* when I got it out of the box it was just a *really* different concept!!! In fact I am going to post some pics from different point of view later on so as people take a correct idea of the design

-Panel-

well well well I just upgraded from a 19" Philips monitor been using it for the past 2yrs and I mean after all it is a Philips model, you know what I mean amazing quality / and at my workplace I use [right now in fact] an amazing 21" Flat Crt model HP1120, well what should I say this is really a high end product and in fact I was worried that I would be sort of spoiled because when I first worked on the HP I really noticed the difference from my home computer so I thought I was going to miss that kind of feeling ..
But guess what? I was even more impressed! Talking about screen size, this tft was even vertically larger than the 21" model [horizontally it was quite equal] which boosted up viewing capabilities and you feel sort of absorbed in the monitor

-image quality- is rather amazing, via D-Sub connectors the image is one of the best I have ever seen, colours are really enhanced-like, text sharpness was even quite good! Overall quality A+, through DVI connection then, it was even much better, everything was sharper, text was amazing clear and cut superb detail

-colors- are really good on this monitor, once I used to work part time with a photographer and he used a special edition monitor pre-built just for him [yes I know $$$] with a special applied filter, and let me say that it was breathtaking ... comparing the view sonic to that model now after 8months ... I am quite confident to say that ok it is not exactly the same, but quite close! Realistic color interpretation, everything seems alive sort of and adds to the *immersive effect* I previously mentioned

-contrast/brightness- hell this is one of a bright lcd aye and it does feel nice, used to turn brightness to 60% on the Philips because of I’ve got really sensitive eyes, and using a different kind of monitor on the same applications I use at home and viewing my 8000+ photo directory ... and not straining my eyes ... and seeing all that detail I previously missed, ye well you know quite a big smiled showed up on my face, indeed a very good monitor at factory settings, and even more when you arrange the contrast/brightness ratio according to your tastes

-pixel interpolation- ye I previously used the Philips model on a 1024x768-32 res. and when I attached the vp191b a message came up lol I thought I did something wrong lol but when I read it I was quite relieved, and there I looked around to see what was all this concern regarding pixel interpolation etc since in fact I didn't see any blurry images or anything of the like in fact it is quite a decent quality using this monitor with that kind of resolution, *but* when I switched to the panels native resolution well lol there I saw all the difference everything was quite sharper and nicer , windows edges are the best example at least for me to judge the difference apart from text etc but anyway if you need to use a 1024x768 res on this monitor apart from a little ~fade~effect on edges it is quite good! At its native resolution again big kudos!

-response time- well as this was the greatest concern for most users to finally purchase this model regardless of this design, and since it is one of the most discussed features of this monitor all I’ve got to do is replicate everything ... this monitor IS fast I played any sort of games fps and nothing, neither a hint of a trail or ghosting whatsoever and to make sure I used a program my friend invented, its a sort of 'flag' test and we tested it on quite a few monitors and it works since even on the Hyundai L90+ we noticed a small trail, which didn't show up though on the respective Samsung model ... view sonic passed also no trails even when the 'flags' were set to max. Speed [which crushed the prog lol unfortunately it need improvement]

-viewing angles- a thing that I was quite disappointed was with the viewing angles ye ok lol they were fine with a sharp image even when looking from an extreme angle and in fact it was my fault that I was disappointed, I used to work on tft's and laptops etc and I new their concern regarding viewing angles and after all these reviews and fuss about 170degrees viewing angles I thought that they made quite an impressive improvement, they did, but I expected more, quite decent overall but don't expect much I warn you

-DVD/video playback- nice, but I can't judge so incase you disagree with me just ignore this paragraph, reason: I only watched 2 DVD’s yet so I can't set up quite an average conclusion but it feels good, quality is really fine and while watching the DVD again that *immersive* effect, twinkling I noticed some both it was really negligible and only when the scene got completely black [Constantine the scene where all lights go out and they remain in pitch darkness and then...] but really that is not quite a factor that one should consider, but I hope to update this part later on

-gaming- not much to say since what most regards gaming experience I already mentioned in the previous paragraph, but during game play, with the instant response, color enhancement, detail, contrast brightness stability and with the aforementioned *immersive effect*, that makes one of an experience that makes you want to play more and more even if you aren't a hardcore gamer, but just to take the juice out of this lcd, you will do it lol

-others- not much to say here apart from just a few comments, first I found no dead pixels and from what I read so far, seems like view sonic are pretty stable aye
the only concern I’ve got is *I don't know what to call it* but when I just output a black bkground on the monitor i.e.: nothing else just total black, on the lower corners there is a sort of light glowing indeed it is also negligible even with all the lights in my rooms turned off but there it is, and in fact I noticed it by mistake while rearranging the centre speaker, in windows mode even with a black bkground just an icon completely removes any visible traces of this issue and in no other application I used I noticed it, even if I tried hard, but since I saw it I had to mention it
another thing was the cable management 'system' even if I don't feel comfortable enough to call it a 'system' lol its quite basic and fells like the clips if handle incorrectly just for a second my mistake, may tear apart or anything of the like and even the placement isn't quite apt, and even the connectors placement could have been improved, I would have much liked it the connectors were on the side rather than the bottom, makes installation easier and hassle free [its quite nasty to fix a strong cable in that position when making attention not to strain the lcd] and a fixed-in-body cable management, but anyway you don't change and fix wires everyday so really it isn't that important

-Conclusion- just one word: Superb - this is a really amazing monitor and apart from that it isn't that type that to excel in one area lacks in another. Ok it isn't quite perfect in al areas but it is really close! Indeed a multipurpose model to consider. I recommend it to everyone interested in buying a new LCD, but if gaming is not your concern then I would suggest going for a cheaper model with a lower response time, and most probably a better design. The others - it’s a must!

Still No Pictures?

How is the image quality, say compared to the 2405FPW? Or perhaps compared to other S-IPS or PVA panels?

Hi everyone! This is my first post in this forum.

I've previously owned an old viewsonic gt775 crt from the middle of the 90's and since it started to give up on me I decided to get a new tft instead. After reading a couple of reviews I decided to go for the viewsonic vp191s. I received my vp191s this sunday.

I think the design of the monitor is really nice. Simple and clean design. The monitor is much larger than my old. The monitor is connected to my computer with dvi. Text on the vp191 is excellent. I had to turn down the light since the default was maximum. Tried different settings for color, contrast and brightness. I decided to go for 6500k, but all colors to maximum was also good. Brightness is about 35% of maximum. I turned up the contrast just a little bit more than default, I guess around 70%. If I turn the contrast up higher I actually loose contrast between light colors, is it supposed to work like that? I guess black is good, but if my room is dark I can see that black is not as black as on my old crt, when most of the screen is black that is. The response time is pretty good, but if I move for example a window with text over the screen it seems a bit blurrier than on my old crt. The color rendering of the vp191 is really good, some colors differ a bit from my old crt but I don't know if it is good or bad?

The vp191 seems like a good monitor for games. I tried enemy territory and I did not notice any blurring or anything like that.

Btw, on old crts I've always have the contrast turned up to at least 85% but on my vp191 that's too much. What's the point of being able to turn contrast up so high that image becomes really bad? Is there something wrong with my monitor?

Should I use 60, 70 or 75Hz?

/Leo

Just picked up the Viewsonic 191B 8ms LCD today. This is my first LCD.

This monitor is bright. I did some calibrating and I am quite happy with it right now. I used DeadPixelBuddy and could not find any dead pixels. (Thank god).

One of my main concerns when buying this monitor was how well it would play some FPS games. I play CS:Source and Unreal Tournament and I am very happy on how well it performs. I do not see any ghosting and didn't notice anything out the ordinary.

The black looks black to me but I do see a bit of backlighting in the corners...nothing major at all and you only notice it when your screen is completely black.

The pivot software was causing my machine to blue screen upon booting up but I seemed to have solved that by downloading the latest update.

I do wish the OSD settings had some values so I can recall what values I have tried.

That's it from me.

-Croyd

Slider19 said:
So, was it worth the $400+?

Are the colors vibrant or just good enough?

Well I'm in Canada so it was $568 CDN + tax. Best price I could find here.

I can't really compare this to any other LCD since I never owned one but I think the colors are vibrant...I'm no expert though.

All I can say is that I'm very happy with this monitor so far.

-Croyd

Fair enough.

How are the black levels? Did you find the image quality an upgrade from your CRT? Or is it the same?

lmaro said:
I

More nitpicks from me
- The cable connects to the panel, instead of the bottom of the stand. This means that the cable is pulled if you rotate it into portrait mode.
- I get light backlight flickering after many hours of use, this goes away pretty quickly if I power cycle it. My power cable might be bad or my backlight slightly defective.
- Viewing angles are good, but colors at an angle desaturate and lose contrast.
- The usual panel flickering at low brightness (you'll see this on most panels)
- Already said, but brightness doesn't go low enough for sensitive eyes in a dark room.

I bought a Viewsonic VP191 due to online review's and forum user feedback like yours. :)

This is actually my very first LCD, been using CRT in all my computer life. because the CRTs were Sonys, I was really relunctant to switch to LCD due to color and contrast on Sony is soooo much better than any LCD on the market. if not because my Sony G420 couldnt be salvage even after 3 repairs, I would still be staying with Sony CRT.

enough of the rants, I just had it running few hours ago. immediately i find the color is no where near a Sony, black like dark grey and white's like light grey and viewing angle is...weird, color changes at ~25 degree or more, i have to tilt the panel up cause the task bar looks pale...nvm that, should get use to it sooner or later...the brightness setting, any setting at 1/4 and below will cause the backlight to "flicker". I suppose its the hardware limitation but I find the brightness setting at a notch over 1/4 is too bright! will viewsonic change it or i simple have to live with that?

Anyone can give me some advise? Thanks in advance. :)

Slider19 said:
Fair enough.

How are the black levels? Did you find the image quality an upgrade from your CRT? Or is it the same?

Well the black looks very black to me....I think it's just as good as my CRT...the LCD is definately a step up in clarity from my CRT....but it's kind of unfair since my CRT was nothing spectacular (Optiquest V95).

-Croyd

Slider19 said:
Have you played with the color calibration yet?

i use either 6500k or user color at max setting.

btw, i discover that setting the brightness at 50% and contrast at 25% produce color closest to the CRT! when contrast is higher then brightness(which is recommended on CRT), the LCD either looks yellowish at 6500K/user max color or too blue at 9300K.

any VP191 user like to check if your panel produce the same result?

And all I can say is FANTASTIC! My two biggest worries were interpolation and dead/stuck pixels. I could not spot any dead or stuck pixels using that dead pixel buddy program. Ill effects from interpolation are barely noticeable to me at any resolution. Yes, it is present but just barely. I have tried 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. They all look almost as good as on a CRT. I am not going to complain about them.

My biggest problem was brightness. It was way too bright with default settings. I turned contrast down to 30% and brightness down to 25%. BTW, the lack of a percentage number on the settings does not bug me in the slightest. Each little line on the scale is 5%.

I had some adjusting to do with the colours. I decided to go with the User Color setting. As suggested on here, I set them all at the highest level. But, that turned out too blueish for my eyes. So, I turned down the blue to 83%. Now, it looks right.

Games look great with no apparent ghosting. I haven't noticed any sparkling from movies as has been reported. Black looks black.

I am very glad I took a chance buying an LCD monitor online. I wanted to buy from a local store so I could try it out first and return a defective unit if I got one. But, local stores aren't carrying Viewsonics anymore. I took a risk and couldn't be happier. Figuring all the factors in, this may be the best monitor I have ever used. Definitely it is the best LCD I have ever used or seen. Bravo Viewsonic!

a friend of mine just bought a 4ms veiwsonic 19inch panel, or maybe it was 6? was the 900 series dont remmber the name, for 416$ (his cost cause he owns a computer store)

has anyone bought this lcd yet? was curious if its any good, he said it was /shrug/

soulsaver_8229

I think you might be talking about the VX924 4ms. It has been getting knocked a bit in the reviews. Despite a better rated response time, the VX924 doesn't always beat the VP191b in that regard, sometimes doing much worse. The worst the VP191b did in Tom's Hardware review is 15ms where the VX924 was doing 32ms. It's true that the best the VP191b did was about 12ms while the best the VX924 did was about 4ms. But, overall over the entire transitional spectrum, the VP191b was better.

The VX924 is only a 6-bit panel. So, it doesn't reproduce the full spectrum of colours as well as the 8-bit panel in the VP191b. Reviewers are seeing more sparkly effects in the VX924 than in the VP191b in movies.

For my money, the VP191b is easily the better monitor.

soulsaver_8229 said:
a friend of mine just bought a 4ms veiwsonic 19inch panel, or maybe it was 6? was the 900 series dont remmber the name, for 416$ (his cost cause he owns a computer store)

has anyone bought this lcd yet? was curious if its any good, he said it was /shrug/

soulsaver_8229

WY-10ms.jpg

WR-13.jpg

WB-13.jpg

camera shutter is set at 1/250=4ms to eliminate motion blur cause by slow shutter speed. the opening of shutter might happen just in-between the frames and cause false "ghosting". i took several shots and these pictures were selected.

although my Canon G3 can go up to 1/1000 sec, but the faster shutter doesnt show any improvement. i guess its due to 1/250 sec is the fastest shutter that the "door" will open fully to take the whole shot which is also the fastest flash sync speed.

Wow, I didn't realize that the monitor gave you the ability to adjust ms settings.

ASmith said:
Wow, I didn't realize that the monitor gave you the ability to adjust ms settings.
In case you're serious, those are screenshots from PixPerAn, a monitor testing program. You can't adjust ms settings. It would be pretty pointless if you could, wouldn't it? ;)

Yeah I was thinking that that would be pretty pointless, "I don't want a fast lcd today, I know; I'll crank it up to 25 ms...lol :D . It's just that the way the image is zoomed in it looks like an osd.

ASmith said:
Yeah I was thinking that that would be pretty pointless, "I don't want a fast lcd today, I know; I'll crank it up to 25 ms...lol :D . It's just that the way the image is zoomed in it looks like an osd.

what do you mean? care to spell out in plain english?

incase you dont get the point why i posted the pics, they are here to show what the VP191 can do in PixPerAn. if you think they are pointless, ignore it, dont bother replying at all.

kurtlim said:
what do you mean? care to spell out in plain english?

incase you dont get the point why i posted the pics, they are here to show what the VP191 can do in PixPerAn. if you think they are pointless, ignore it, dont bother replying at all.
Relax. He meant it would be pretty pointless if you could change ms settings on an LCD. No one would want to actually slow down their monitor ;)

Sorry for bringing this thread back up.
But, i just got a VP191S. I am very happy with it, but its my first LCD monitor, and im confused bout somehting.
On the previous page, there are pictures of the chase test in PixPerAn. When i do that test, it doesnt look anything as good. I have to move it to about 16ms to make the trails not touch. Im using it in clone mode beside a CRT. the car with the writing, and the chase test, and all others tests for that matter, are completely clear at any speed.

Im pretty sure i do have the 8ms version.

Is this normal?
Thanks
Jiggs

Jiggs1337 said:
Sorry for bringing this thread back up.
But, i just got a VP191S. I am very happy with it, but its my first LCD monitor, and im confused bout somehting.
On the previous page, there are pictures of the chase test in PixPerAn. When i do that test, it doesnt look anything as good. I have to move it to about 16ms to make the trails not touch. Im using it in clone mode beside a CRT. the car with the writing, and the chase test, and all others tests for that matter, are completely clear at any speed.

Im pretty sure i do have the 8ms version.

Is this normal?
Thanks
Jiggs

dont worry, its perfectly normal.

the reason is quite simple, the CRT is miles ahead in term of response time. those that claim current LCD is as fast as CRT in pixel response or even claim they can see "ghosting" on CRT but none on LCD, well, download the PixPerAn and compare your "freaking fast LCD" to a "inferior CRT" and see the result yourself.

btw, my chase test was done at default tempo "10".

ok, cool.
ingame, it seems very ok. just fast moving text or so, is far more readable on a CRT than the lcd.
When i do the test at 10, i see lots of trailing. is it the fact that you have taken a picture of one frame, that it looked like there is 0 ghosting?
For me at 10, with the naked eye, there is a trail.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Jiggs1337 said:
ok, cool.
ingame, it seems very ok. just fast moving text or so, is far more readable on a CRT than the lcd.
When i do the test at 10, i see lots of trailing. is it the fact that you have taken a picture of one frame, that it looked like there is 0 ghosting?
For me at 10, with the naked eye, there is a trail.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

maybe my definition of trailing isnt the same as yours. the chase test said the two boxes shouldnt touch and there should remain a clear line between them. so at 10ms, i still can see a line between the two boxes thus i take it as no "ghosting" even at 10ms.

the camera is for a more objective way to check the "ghosting" on this LCD, cause i really dont know how to check if the LCD have "ghosting" just by my own naked eyes, the boxes always has blur sides, even at the slowest 166ms setting.

Are there any users here who tried out both the VP191 ( 8 ms) and the Samsung 193P+? If so, can you provide a comparative review?

There are some other threads where 193P+ owners claimed their display is superior to that of the vp191.

ASmith said:
Still No Pictures?

sry for my late reply but my father was quite serioulsy ill, and really i didn't have any chance to take and upload pics, anyway i've got this picture with me at work - but tonoight i';; take the photosession i promised and post it

|Leviathan| said:
sry for my late reply but my father was quite serioulsy ill, and really i didn't have any chance to take and upload pics, anyway i've got this picture with me at work - but tonoight i';; take the photosession i promised and post it

Nice!

I think I'm going to order mine from ZZF for $428 + free shipping tonight. I'll post pics/review when I get it :D

is it just me?
when i play CS: Source, i get what i think is ghosting. im new to LCDs.
it happens especially with counter-terrorists against brightish surfaces.
When they run, i see the outline of their legs following where their legs actually are.
Its very evident. I dont notice anything in Halo, nor in Unreal Tournament 2003 (yet, gonna look more closely now).

can you owners of the vp191b please be kind enough to give me this info. can you find out what "X" is on the diagram: (The stand must be at its highest height, telescoping all the way up).

s2423.jpg

I'm about $50 short of getting this monitor from my one and only prefered store, Newegg.

Can't wait till I can switch over from my eye-killing CRT.

By the way, I've read sizes are measured differently in LCD vs CRT. Will this 19"LCD be pretty similar to my 21" CRT? I have a 21" Flatscreen Viewsonic E90fb CRT monitor.

Volume said:
I'm about $50 short of getting this monitor from my one and only prefered store, Newegg.

Can't wait till I can switch over from my eye-killing CRT.

By the way, I've read sizes are measured differently in LCD vs CRT. Will this 19"LCD be pretty similar to my 21" CRT? I have a 21" Flatscreen Viewsonic E90fb CRT monitor.

19inch on the LCD are 19" viewable on a crt yu always have round 1~2 inched of the screen encrusted so what yu got to do is measure your viewable screen size, on an hp1100 21" flat crt, viewable = 19"
i'm currently using a viewsonic e92f+ its a 19" flat crt but only 18" viewable ;)

cambrian said:
can you owners of the vp191b please be kind enough to give me this info. can you find out what "X" is on the diagram: (The stand must be at its highest height, telescoping all the way up).

s2423.jpg
i'll check for you abou this as soon as i'm in front of my baby ;)

do any of you guys play morrowind on this lcd? i tried and it looks like garbage, i was expecting something close to a crt but this isnt. i guess you just cant beat a crt for gaming :mad:

Lost Ronin said:
do any of you guys play morrowind on this lcd? i tried and it looks like garbage, i was expecting something close to a crt but this isnt. i guess you just cant beat a crt for gaming :mad:
I'm worried...

Lost Ronin said:

what do u mean exactly? response time is bad? color is bad? dithering is bad? what?

the colors man, im not bs'ng one bit, i bought this monitor because of all the praise ive read from these forums, but for some reason i cannot get morrowind too look decent.

the colors look either washed out, or too intense, as if there freaking glowing...ive played with the rgb settings, the brightness contrast, noting will work, now i have found a combination that isnt too bad, indoors, but then out doors doesnt look to great, not only that how am i suposed to leave the monitor setting like that while using windows? am is supposed to change them every single time i play a game?

i made a thread but no one seemed interested....you really realize just how different the quality is when you compare it to a crt, since i have both i can clearly see that the crt prodused a much more clear, clean image, the colors are solid..

pretty dissapointed since i returned a cheaper lcd that had similar quality in morrowind.
i do have to say though that in ever other game ive tried the monitor with ive had no complaints..none..

but morrowind, the one game i play the most and also mod for....sucks big time.
im leaving this lcd for my 2nd comp and going to buy a nice crt in decemberr for my gaming rig, my current crt is hissing at me :D

i wanna add, im not trying to scare anyone, just that for 500 bucks i honestly thought i was getting a great lcd that while not a crt, would have image quality at least close, at least decent enough you know? something acceptable, but while some games look nice this one looks bad, and its becasue the lcd cannot handle it.

cant reccomend lcd's too gamers, i was really hoping i could replace my dying\hissing monitor with this lcd too. at least i got no dead pexels hehe, as far as i can tell anyway.

Hmm I observe this washout/glowing phenonmenon on the vp171 but that's a TN panel and is expected. But I wouldn't expect it to see on the vp191b. Try this:

1) how do the colors look on 9K, 6K, user max, etc.
2) Are u just getting this with morrowind or in desktop and other games as well. Make sure morrowind doesn't have some sort of color adjustments in the options.
3) Make sure your video card drivers is not adjusting the colors on top of your adjustments (Forceware options for example).

* Make sure you are not using forceware 77.72. It is known to have some overlay issues. Upgrade to 77.77 or 77.76 and see what happens. I am assuming you are using an Nvidia card but if you are using ATI make sure you upgrade the drivers as well.

4) Make sure the cables are not loose.
5) Try it with a different video card if you have one.

morrowind in the only game that looks that way, ive tried all settings in the lcd, morrowind only has a gamma setting wich ive played with, i have a x800xl and the latest drivers, and ive tested it on two machines both same results

in that case i guess there' s nothing to worry about. For some reason it's the combination of morrowind and this monitor. If everything else looks great then that's all that matters :p BTW you should try playing WoW or F.E.A.R. They both would look great on your monitor.

Back