Viewsonic VP191 (Rev: MVA 8 ms)

DieHard83x

n00b
A new version of Viewsonic VP191b released as of April 2005, don't get it mixed up!!!
19inch, 1280 x 1024 resolution, 8ms PVA panel, 800:1 contrast ratio, 16.7m colors, 170 / 170 viewing angles. Pivot, rotate and height adjustable, DVI and VGA (x2) connections.

The Viewsonic VP191B has now been released with a brand new panel. Manufactured by AU Optronics, the M190EN03 V0 panel has allowed Viewsonic to move away from the popular TN film and into the PVA panel market thanks to the use of “Overdrive” technology.

Click Below:
http://www.baddass.dsl.pipex.com/viewsonicvp191b.htm

More Reviews:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/563/page1.html
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

I'm getting impatient watching these VA panels (Viewsonic VP191b or Samsung 193P+), but I'm in a very tight budget. I only got one shot. Can someone order this and a do a personal review, please! ;)

Buy Now:
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=search&item=24-116-277&ATT=&CMP=
http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=A79864&src=FGhttp://216.239.39.104/translate_c?h...&product_id=8&items_id=1&prev=/language_tools

UPDATE, New Review Article from Tom's Hardware on VP191b:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050526/index.html

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.williamchang.org

Creative Crew
http://www.creativecrew.org

Last edited:
Finally, I review that concurs what I thought! I have both a L90D+ and the new 191B and I thought the viewsonic was faster. Reading the review on behardware.com didn't make sense (they thought subjectively the L90D+ was faster) because I can see that 191B was faster. Now comparing the graphs, you can see for yourself that this overdrive MVA is the fastest panel out in the market.

L90D+ response graph:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/lcd-04.html

191B response graph
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

The 191B never gets over 15ms of time. In fact, the Samsung panel in the Hyundai L90D+, Samsung 915N, 930B, etc, is only faster than the 191B when the pixel code is from black to white (0-255; the most extreme color change).

The annoying thing about the 191B I found is that when using analog inputs, when the resolution changes, the OSD always flashes the input that it is taking in, even though nothing else is connected to the other DVI or second DB15 sub input. The stupid blue box keeps coming up. That and the ergonomics of Viewsonic, I am not too found of.

1. Please tell me about the black contrast, is it good? Please take a picture, turn off all the lights and display black in fullscreen using this program:
http://laptopshowcase.co.uk/downloads.php?id=1

2. How about the response rate in human eye point-of-view? A good test is a FPS game like Doom3 or Quake3 or whatever???

These two are the only major concern when buying an LCD. Please let me know. I'm really on a tight budget and have one shot at this. I don't want to buy and return because pretty much all retails charge 15% restocking fee, that's gay, and also shipping it back! :(

I'm greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
1. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera at the moment. However, i can tell you that the black is a smidget deeper... This is confirmed by the .34 black (Viewsonic) in your tomshardware.fr link vs the .39 black of the L90D+. The contrast ratio on the Hyundai was a bit better because the panel was brighter. The hyundai is very bright.

The uniformity on an all black screen the Hyundai did do a bit better on. With the panel on the black code, with all the room lights turned off, you can see four faint CCFLs in the four corners of the screen aiming towards the center. The Hyundai in the same scenario has a bit brigher horizontal light in the very top and an even brighter bottom bar by the bezel. In this regard, I think the Hyundai was a bit better.

2. Response time was better on the Viewsonic no doubt. Every now and then, you can tell some colors couldn't change as fast as others (like the extreme black to white to black) because the images didn't "form" at the same time. Rarely does this happen. On the Hyundai, while very good, had a more "even" blur to it--all colors changed together relatively the same time.

In all the LCD monitors I have used and owned (L90D+, 2001FP, 2005FPW, and the 191B), by far the most reactive is the 191B. It's better in all regards as a gaming monitor. MVA panel gives it more colors, wider viewing angles and now better reactivity.

The only other monitor I would look at for games is Viewsonic's own VX924 which is a 4ms gtg and 5ms bwb monitor. Remember, the VX924 is a TN monitor, so you only really have 262k colors and low viewing angles. However, the article that you found brought some interesting light on the "disadvantages" of overdrive--dithering is incompatible with overdrive? If so, I wonder how TN panels with fair with overdrive since to extropolate 16.2 million colors they essentially dither them to produce those colors. I wonder what anomalies would result from them?

Good read on your recent reply! Thanks! About the TN's "dithering is incompatible with overdrive," I'm not sure myself, I just hope it's a minor drawback.

After I read your review, I think it's good enough to convince me, I just placed an order with ChiefValue.com with free shipping. The only thing left to worry about are dead pixels and backlight bleeding. Wish me good luck!

Thanks again for your reply!

DieHard83x said:
Good read on your recent reply! Thanks! About the "dithering is incompatible with overdrive," I'm not sure myself, I just hope it's a minor drawback.

After I read your review, I think it's good enough to convince me, I just placed an order with ChiefValue.com with free shipping. The only thing left to worry about are dead pixels and backlight bleeding. Wish me good luck!

Thanks again for your reply!

That's where I bought my VP191B from, ChiefValue.com is a nice place to shop.

I wouldn't worry about backlight bleeding. The black is pretty black, unlike the 2005FPW I had. Mine came with no dead pixels whatsoever. Good luck!

It is interesting stuff. The disadvantages of the overdrive on TN panels have to be seen in practice before conclusion can be made but it does not sound good.

However, I recently tested the Dell 1905FP with the MVA M190EN03 V0 panel mentioned in the article and I can tell another story:
Dell 1905FP with the MVA panel shows visible trails. The trails are not very long but annoying as they change colours. Example: a black-white transition would have a light green trail where other transitions could have light blue trails.
It makes it look more marked than it normally would. It is clearly due to the temporarily passages in transitions which also is stated in the article but it unawares me that they don't mention these colour trails.
I also noticed the washed out colours.

I know that Overdrive differs and that ViewSonic use Overdrive with AIT (Amplified Impulse Technology) which I believe is missing in the Dell monitor.
It is very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing more from these Overdrive panels.

I don't think Dell 1905FP massively updated their panels to AUO in US especially. I did a google search and found a discussion about it, everybody got the samsung panel except one:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1564244

The only thing that can compete with VP191b is Iiyama ProLite H1900 using Fujitsu MVA-Premium panel technology, claiming: 19", 8ms grey-to-grey, 12ms typical black-white-black, 1000:1 contrast, 16.7 million colors, and 178/178 viewing angle. It's selling at Europe for about $827.47 US compare to VP191b for $429.00 US. I can't afford waiting for it to come to US and for that big fat price tag! :(

About Samsung PVA 8ms grey-to-grey (193Plus):
Samsung 4 ms TN, 8 ms PVA, bad news

Samsung made a strong impression during the CeBit (see this news) with the announcement of several monitors that were very much ahead of their time. Unfortunately, today the reality is far different. Since the CeBit, ViewSonic (not even present at the event) has released the excellent VP191b, Fujitsu-Siemens has discreetly released the C19-4 and Iiyama has announced the next PVA 8 ms, the ProLite H1900. At Samsung, all monitors announced are else delayed or …on hold. Some might even be cancelled.

The most awaited, the SyncMaster 750P (6 ms response time, 1500:1 contrast ratio) would be only released now in September or October.

The 173Plus and 193Plus, unveiled in January won’t be released before August.

Finally the 930B (Samsung TN 4 ms) release is on hold. For the time being Samsung considers releasing first a 8ms versions which could be replaced a little bit later by a 4 ms panel. But there is no certainty and the 930B might just also disappear.

For the time being, Samsung is a little bit in the dark. We will know more this summer and there is still hope apparently for the release of a TN 4ms other than the 930B.

Source:
http://www.behardware.com/news/7535/Samsung-4-ms-TN8-ms-PVAbad-news.html

------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
DieHard83x: Might be.
But see France:
http://supernova.free.fr/dell1905fp/tableau.php
And you even see a lot of people posting the AUO panel in the Samsung row...

They started receiving the AUO panel in late February.

Yes, Samsung are holding back for some reason. A lot of their monitors should have been here by now but all we can do now is waiting.

Hey, I jsut got my 1905FP US a week ago and i put it up next to my benq 20" with an S-IPS panel and let me say you can't compare the colour difference on the 2 monitors, its like night and day difference,and afaik the 1905FP uses a PVA Panel made by samsung. I see no ghosting at all on my BenQ and a ton of it on the Dell :/ but its my second monitor so its ok, Im just giving a heads up to those who like image / colour quality =p S-IPS 16ms panels are teh way to go =D

Digital Viper-X-: I don't recall any major competent sites (anandtech don't count as they are too subjective) or members of this forum saying that the Dell 1905FP was a gaming monitor. =)
… Because it is not according to the technological principles.

But I would like to know what panel is in the monitor you just received. Can you try this:

1- Turn off your screen
2- Press simultaneously the 'Menu' and '+' button of the screen.
3- While holding the 2 buttons press now the 'Power' button.
4- Once the screen in ON, unpress the 3 buttons.
5- Go to OSD menu (by pressing 'Menu' button) then select the 'Reinit' option (red point at the bottom of menu).
6- Select 'Factory' option.

And then tell if it is the AUO or the Samsung panel?

i've heard a few reports of the Dell 1905FP being shipped with the new 8ms PVA panel from AUO (the M190EN03 V0), which has mainly been from France supplies by the look of things. I've only heard from one UK user having the AUO panel so far (i'm based in the UK btw) but it is quite interesting to see what Dell are doing. If they are going to be replacing the panel they use across the board then that could be a good move. The 8ms PVA panel is getting some good reviews (see the BeHardware link at the top for instance), but the 20ms Samsung panel they will be replacing was undoubtably one of the better non-gaming panels around in the 19" market. Let's hope if they do change, they perhaps make it a new model (the 1905FP+ perhaps?) and leave the 1905FP available for those wanting the Samsung panel.

There's some info on the Samsung 193P+ in this review which is translated from Chinese to English for you :)

Badd: The M190EN03 V0 AUO panel is a P-MVA not a PVA. I recently tested and reviewed the AUO MVA panel in the Dell 1905FP (which by the way is shipped with the AUO MVA in most cases here in Denmark too) and cannot recommend it for gaming.
The trails are coloured which make them even more marked than before. Imagine a black-white transition whit a green trail. You notice that easier than a grey trail even though it might be shorter.

The gaming performance on the new monitors based on this 8 ms AUO MVA panel cannot be compared to the Dell 1905FP as for example ViewSonic VP191b use AIT (Amplified Impulse Technology) together with Overdrive.

Hi mistar. That's interesting to hear. I had heard elsewhere that the colours can trail a little, not ghosting in the traditional sense i think the review said (this was prob youre review actually! :)) but still a problem for gaming. So what is the difference between PVA and P-MVA?

MVA = Multi-Domain Vertical Alignment
PVA = ?
S-PVA = ?
P-MVA = Premium MVA

correct me if i'm wrong, but they are all variations of VA technology aren't they? and Samsung were the pioneers of the PVA weren't they? would be interested to hear your input though please mate :) What does it mean to be a "premium" MVA as opposed to a normal MVA?

also, got a link to your review of the 8ms AUO?

My review is in Danish unfortunately and posted on my own commercial site about LCD TFT monitors so I don't think it will be of much use to you. Sorry =)

PVA is Samsungs variant of the VA panel and stands for "Patterned Vertical Alignment".
S-PVA: Super Patterned Vertical Alignment

P-MVA and S-PVA can be seen as a development of MVA and PVA as S-IPS can be seen as a development of IPS.

For example: Samsung started calling their PVA panels S-PVA when they implemented the Magic Speed technology which is an electrical voltage regulating technology like the Overdrive.

They colour trailing on panels using Overdrive is due to the technological principle. Overdrive immediately supplies a higher voltage to the liquid crystals when they have to rise or fall (when they have to make a transition).
The fastest transition earlier used to be black-white-black because it was the transition with the highest electrical voltage applied. It may seem paradoxically as black and white are on the opposite end of the grey tone scale but it is because of voltage as explained.

Overdrive take advantage of this and make an "extra step":

For example: A MVA panel with overdrive has to shift from colour 0 on the grey tone scale to 160 it will shift from 0 to 255 (which is the opposite end) and then back to 160. It gives an advantage because a pixel rise time is far longer than the fall time and you safe time both because of the longest transition and because of the extra voltage applied with Overdrive.

See this:
Transition from 0 to 160:

255 l\
l \
160 l \_____
l
l
0 ____ l

It might help to see it like that. That is why a trail can be seen as green, blue etc even though it was not supposed to. It is because of the intervening state. You see? =)

I see you're interested in this and in panels and maybe my site could be of use to you after all. I have a panel-search here in English:
http://www.rasmuslarsen.1go.dk/panels.php
I translated it so it is easier to understand for non-Danish persons. It can give you a specific panel on many monitors and the database is extended almost every day.
Search for Samsung 173p+ for example and get this result:
Samsung 173P+ has a 17 inch 8 ms (grå-grå) S-PVA (Samsung LTM170E8-L01) panel.

You see that is has a LTM170E8-L01 Samsung panel. If you want to find other monitors using this panel just type LTM170E8-L01 in the search field.

wow, thats great. Thanks for the link and for the info. Just reading round about the PVA / MVA panels, knew they were quite similar but there are some differnece too i see. So am i right in thinking that if a panel is labelled as being a "P-MVA" (ie premium MVA) then it will be an overdriven MVA panel?

and likewise with the S-PVA panels? they are just overdriven PVA?

looking through that search section now too, very helpful indeed. I've got my own database of panels used which i was working through. Would it be helpful to you if i posted any which i notice are missing? (if there are any :))

Bah.. My example is screwed. I try with some periods:

See this:
Transition from 0 to 160:

255........l.\
.............l...\
160.......l....\_____
............l
...........l
0 ____ l

Not every P-MVA is an overdrive monitor. And furthermore there are more manufactures than AUO which make these, for example Fujitsu and Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO). As a guideline you can use this to see if a monitor is based on a Overdrive, Magic Speed etc. panel: If the response time is stated as (g2g) - (grey-grey) it will be because the manufacturers state the lowest transition which on overdrive and magic speed monitors is some a grey-grey transition instead of the black-white-black.

As it is right now S-PVA panels use Magic Speed but Samsung also list some electrical voltage regulating panels as PVA. So you could say that S-PVA monitors use Magic Speed but some PVA use it to according to Samsung's website. But these monitors are not out yet so it will be easier to tell when they are released.

It would be helpful if you could post some missing. It doesn't matter if you have the exact panel or not I can for most of the cases figure or find that out.
My own procedure is to look through recommendations on forums and see if I have those mentioned in my database, if not I add them. I also add new monitors if I read about them and have some other methods.
But that would be nice if you could do that =)

thanks Mistar

just been cross referencing your database with the ones i have. A couple i noticed as missing:

BenQ 767-12 - uses a 12ms AUO TN panel (not sure model number)
Hercules Prophetview 920Pro - 20ms Hydis TN panel
Hitachi CML174SX - 16ms AUO TN panel (M170EN05) same as the NEC1760NX and Viewsonic VP171B-1
Hyundai L70S+ - 12ms Samsung TN LTM170EU-L11. Same as the Q17+
Samsung 193P - you have it listed as a 25ms PVA, but afaik it's 20ms like the Dell 1905FP
Sharp LL-T19D1 - 25ms ASV (sharp's own panel make according to THG)
Viewsonic VX910 - 2 versions i think there were of this one. a 25ms MVA version, and a 12ms TN version. think the stock is all 12ms TN film now
Sony HS75P - Sony confirmed to me that this uses EITHER and 8ms AU Optronics or 8ms CPT (Chungwa Picture Tube company)....apparently they can check from stock numbers.

also, are you sure about the LG1710B? the specs of the screen are identical to that of the LG1720B so i assumed that it would use the same LG Phillips 16ms TN (LM170E01-A4 /A5) panel??

thanks again for your help and very informative website. I found it extremely useful. Hope the additions above helped :)

Thanks. =) I will add them at the first opportunity and check the specific panels in the ones who you listed without

About Samsung 193p:
There has been many discussion about the panel in this monitor and the Dell 1905FP. Earlier the Dell 1905FP used the Samsung LTM190E4-L02 PVA panel but it seems that Dell have decided to switch that panel out to the AUO M190EN03-V0 in many countries.
When saying that Samsung 193p has the same panel people mean the same PVA panel which used to be in the Dell, however, Samsung 193p still have the LTM190E4-L02 25 ms panel. See Samsungs specs:
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/...User=&prod_id=DI17PSQAQ&selTab=Specifications

EDIT: hate when it happens... I sometimes click outside the text window and press enter to go to a new line and then it posts my reply...

About LG L1710b:
It is one of the most discussed monitors. People used to claim that it used a S-IPS panel from LG.Philips because the response time was 16 ms as many of the other S-IPS panels.
This is not correct and I'm sure that the first models used the HyDis panel. I tested two of them once and can confirm the characteristics of this panel. The old HyDis panel from another former LG monitor is the one which Tom's hardware still uses as a reference panel in some tests.
Even though the L1710b was shipped with the Hydis panel they changed it to the other AUO later probably because of production problems at the Hydis Corporation.

no worries mate :)

isn't the Samsung 193P 20ms rated though?? see spec here (ps, i notice on the USA site, the spec for the 193P is down at the mo).

Either way, yeah the Dell 1905FP used to use the same PVA panel as the 193P, but looks like in some places in Europe the stock is switching to this new 8ms P-MVA from AUO (like in the Viewsonic VP191B)

Ohh I see what you mean now. Yes that is right.

If you search for it in on my site you get this:
Samsung 193P has a 19 inch 25 ms PVA (Samsung LTM190E4) eller et 20 Ms PVA (LTM190E4-L02) panel.

In the early models it was the 25 ms and now it is an upgraded 20 ms. (I'm aware of the Danish text between the two different panels but it is because it is taken directly from my mySQL database)

Read my edit in the lat post for details on the LG L1710b.

Notice that VP191B and Dell 1905FP do use the same panel but the ViewSonic has AIT which is said to improve the response time even more.

mistar said:
About LG L1710b:
It is one of the most discussed monitors. People used to claim that it used a S-IPS panel from LG.Philips because the response time was 16 ms as many of the other S-IPS panels.
This is not correct and I'm sure that the first models used the HyDis panel. I tested two of them once and can confirm the characteristics of this panel. The old HyDis panel from another former LG monitor is the one which Tom's hardware still uses as a reference panel in some tests.
Even though the L1710b was shipped with the Hydis panel they changed it to the other AUO later probably because of production problems at the Hydis Corporation.

yeah i remember that when the LG1710B was originally released it was quoted as 20ms at a lot of places, and i have always maintained the fact that they swapped the panel away from the 20ms Hydis (which THG love so much!) to the 16ms models. At least it's not me that noticed this!! :) So the panel used now is an AUO panel though, and not the 16ms LG Phillips as used in the 1720B? thought it was werid they didnt use their own panel tbh, as normally LG use the LG Phillips panels.....

Here in Denmark the LG L1710b has gone out of the marked a long time ago.
Do you stll see it in shops elsewhere?

I'm certain that it used the HyDis and later a AUO although it was a long time ago i checked this.
The LG L1710s is somehow the same product (almost) and it have used a newer HyDis panel, a AUO panel, and the LG.Phlips same panel which is in the LG L1720b. Therefore I cannot give you an unambiguous conclusion to whether LG L1710b have used the LG.Philips panel in some cases or not.

I just got the VP191b today, pixel perfect, everything is right-on what I read from my first message, BeHardware is very accurate! This monitor is very Fluid and Reactive!!! I'll try do a short review later.

looking forward to reading the review mate :)

Mistar, the LG1710B can be found ina few PC shops, but not really at online retailers who are UK based any more.

DieHard83x: It could be nice if you could check for colour trails caused by Overdrive.

Try the flag test in PixPeRan or something like that.

I'm curious how this monitor stacks up agains the 930b or l90d+.

It seems like it will have better color and viewing angles but worse response rate. The question is the response rate fast enough?

mistar said:
Digital Viper-X-: I don't recall any major competent sites (anandtech don't count as they are too subjective) or members of this forum saying that the Dell 1905FP was a gaming monitor. =)
… Because it is not according to the technological principles.

But I would like to know what panel is in the monitor you just received. Can you try this:

1- Turn off your screen
2- Press simultaneously the 'Menu' and '+' button of the screen.
3- While holding the 2 buttons press now the 'Power' button.
4- Once the screen in ON, unpress the 3 buttons.
5- Go to OSD menu (by pressing 'Menu' button) then select the 'Reinit' option (red point at the bottom of menu).
6- Select 'Factory' option.

And then tell if it is the AUO or the Samsung panel?
I just mentioned it because someone mentioned an 8ms PVA panel =p ill check for you when I get home I'm at work now ^^ Im happy with the monitor hands down for what I use it for

BTW what is the difference between the AUO and the SamSung Panel

jackkoho said:
I'm curious how this monitor stacks up agains the 930b or l90d+.

It seems like it will have better color and viewing angles but worse response rate. The question is the response rate fast enough?

Follow the links that the original poster provided. Comparing the graphs, the VP191B is faster. I can also tell you that owning both the Hyundai L90D+ and Viewsonic VP191B that the Viewsonic is faster.

Digital Viper-X- said:
I just mentioned it because someone mentioned an 8ms PVA panel =p ill check for you when I get home I'm at work now ^^ Im happy with the monitor hands down for what I use it for

BTW what is the difference between the AUO and the SamSung Panel

Ok well I dont know how to tell =p

It says these numbers though
amlcd(ltm190e4-l02)
then serial number is
t611653jaa65

A Short Review of VP191b, P-MVA 8-bit 8ms Grey-to-Grey (Do not get it mixed up with the old panel with the same model name!):

Little about me:
I'm a hardcore competitive Quake 3 Arena gamer, so I play FPS games heavily. I do art, video, and animation, such as Adobe Photoshop and Alias Maya. I'm a programmer as well, doing websites and software. So, my needs are everything from casual user to gamer to artist.

LCD Settings:
I'm using Factory Default settings and DVI.

Previous LCD Temporarily Used and Returned, and continue using my Samsung SyncMaster 955DF (CRT):
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+, TN 6-bit. The reason I returned it because it had one dead pixel and major backlight bleeding from one side. The performance was not great in Quake3, I'll tell you why later. I couldn't stand the poor viewing angle even striaght on, especially the black color. The black becomes gradient to grey, a good test is white text on black background.

Performance:
Close to CRT response rate. My testing program is Quake 3 Arena, q3dm17, that has two grey platform sitting in a totally-black space. Carefully watching the response rate against black and grey, it is very fluid and reactive. I did a test, the same one with L90D+, it involves strafing right and left, facing a texture with lines and circles outlined in black, surrounded with grey. The VP191B passed.

Picture Quality:
The colors and viewing angle is amazing. One test is using HardForum main index looking at the black, it is consistent until you reach about 170 degrees: up and down, right and left. The contrast is very good compare to my CRT in DualView. Reading on LCD is way better than CRT, like programming on the LCD is awesome!

Bad Things:
VP191b has one drawback, the black is not truly black, but it is close. I guess it is common among all LCD's because the use of CCFL Backlight. A good test is getting the plain color black in fullscreen. The black with all other colors is very good. Only when majority of the screen is filled with plain black, like 3 quarters of it, you will notice it.

Conclusion:
After two days of using it, it's a keeper!!! If you want a all-purpose LCD, CRT replacement, the Viewsonic VP191b is it!

There is a small backlight bleed on my VP191b on the top right corner, let me know you have one too?

Pardon my grammer! Thanks!

Last edited:
Digital Viper-X- said:
Ok well I dont know how to tell =p

It says these numbers though
amlcd(ltm190e4-l02)
then serial number is
t611653jaa65

Thats the Samsung LTM190E4-L02 PVA panel. The 20ms one as used in the Samsung 193P aswell. Some European stock it seems uses the new 8ms AUO P-MVA panel, but not yours by the look of things

DieHard83x - nice mini review there. Thanks for that. Out of all the technologies (IPS, TN, VA, MVA, PVA etc) the VA varieties (ie, MVA, PVA, P-MVA, S-PVA) are known for being able to produce the most pure blacks. Sure, this will still not be perfect, but it is getting better......the black levels are still a concern to some, and it's interesting to hear your comments about that on the VP191B.

Have you noticed any slight blurring of colours in gaming? Mistar had notcied some on the Dell 1905FP (same AUO panel, different hardware behind it) and i was wondering if this was apparent on your Viewsonnic too?

DieHard83x: Nice to hear.

Although, could you download this program: http://www.prad.de/download/pixperan_english.zip

Open it and try the flag test and the chase test. Do you notice colour trails? For example; do you notice any bluish trailing when a white flag is being dragged over a black background?
I'm just interested to see if colour trails are visible and not actual length of the trails.

Hope to hear your response. =)

vp191 owners: Does the base/stand thing bug you at all? How is the thickness of the monitor?

I think those two feet and that telescoping tower thing that the monitor sits on are kind of ugly... :eek:

Anyways, samsung ftw on looks, viewsonic on perf.

mistar said:
Open it and try the flag test and the chase test. Do you notice colour trails? For example; do you notice any bluish trailing when a white flag is being dragged over a black background?
I'm just interested to see if colour trails are visible and not actual length of the trails.

Just dealing with black/white flag on black/white background, and as many combinations of black and white, no bluish trails. That is a nice lcd testing program, by they way! :)

jackkoho said:
vp191 owners: Does the base/stand thing bug you at all? How is the thickness of the monitor?

I think those two feet and that telescoping tower thing that the monitor sits on are kind of ugly...

The base/stand does not bug me at all, and it is not in the way of anything. I like the way they just keep it simple and flush! I love the thin black borders around the LCD panel for future dual/tri screen LCD action! ;)

UPDATE, New Review Article from Tom's Hardware on VP191b:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050526/index.html

--------------------------------------------

Last edited:
They seem to think it outperforms the L90D+.

With better colors and faster perf... ...

:D

I've been ogling at this monitor ever since I stumbled upon the review at BeHardware. I'm looking to make my first transition from CRT, and I haven't yet experienced an LCD I can directly say is better. This new panel sounds just like the thing that might tip me over, but I use my computer for a wide range of purposes. The VP191 screens sound great for gaming, text and pictures - but what about movies? In the BeHardware review they speak of a "twinkling" effect, this concerns me a bit. Anyone experienced it?

Here's the questions I emailed to DieHard83x but haven't got a response yet. If anyone has the monitor and can answer them, I'd be really grateful.

1) Does the brightness adjust actually change the power/voltage of the backlight, or does it modify the pixel values? (Try setting the screen black, and adjust brightness to see if it changes)

2) Is the contrast "normal" or "best" at 100%, and pixels values adjusted when lower? What do you have contrast set to?

3) How often do you see the "sparkling/dithering" effect from the OverDrive feature? Is it noticable or bothersome in videos or games often?

4) Do the buttons on the monitor allow changing brightness quickly, without digging through the OSD menu? (I like changing it for videos)

5) When you set the brightness to 0%, how dim is the monitor? I like my monitor slightly brighter than a piece of paper in a normally-lit room, which is pretty dim.

6) Any transformer buzz or high-pitch sounds if you place your ear next to the monitor? If so, is it audible from 1 foot away?

7) At a low brightness level, is there any flickering on the panel (if you wave your hand around)?

Thanks.

Back