ViewSonic, LG or Eizo? 24'' monitor

Mackan

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I plan to buy a 24'' gaming screen, 144 Hz, 8bit color, pwm flicker free, low response time and input lag. And as good image quality and black levels as possible. I know this means TN panel, but I am fine with that for now.

Doing some research, I found these 3 monitors that qualify:

- ViewSonic VG2401MH
- LG 24GM77
- Eizo FG2421

Are there any more worth mentioning? The ViewSonic is the cheapest, and have had good reviews from what I can see. But it also seems to have the highest input lag. Eizo stands out with its black levels, I think, but possibly bad QC from what I have read. LG is more expensive than ViewSonic, and has the strobe thing that I probably don't prioritise.

Difficult choice. What is acceptable input lag today? I know that for fps games you probably want < 5ms, and I think the ViewSonic one has 10ms. Noticeable?

This will be my first gaming monitor for a long time, so I cannot relate much to response time, input lag, etc. But I want to make the best buy I can based on information. I plan to get something better in a year when we have more alternatives for g-sync, and free-sync.

You guys have any input on the above monitors?

I'd steer clear of Eizo except for their CG series. They're far from the only manufacturer doing this, but from what I've read they use panels that have failed testing for their higher-end models and use them for their lower-end models, including Foris. If you get lucky you will get a stunning panel at a very low price, but the norm is the "bad QC" you referred to. Constant exchanges due to light bleed and other problems.

If gaming is your main use I'd recommend waiting a few months before buying anything. IPS+Freesync has already been announced and IPS+G-Sync is due within the next few months. If they work as advertised I think it will render TN panels obsolete pretty quickly if not immediately.

Yes, I've spent hours reading about the Eizo monitor, and its big QC problem. It seems its problems are connected to the VA technology itself, and as you say, people suspect this monitor uses panels that failed testing for their higher end models.

Nevertheless, it seems to be one of its kind when it comes to true black levels and contrast. I think everyone desire those properties.

After reading more reviews, the ViewSonic one seems to have worse input lag than I originally concluded. The LG one was interesting, but seems very hard to come by. Almost no reseller for it in my country. Very typical...

So... it's the curse of finding the perfect hardware. And if you somehow find it, it's not available in your country. It's always something. And as you point out, new panels are coming in the coming months, but I need something now. Unless something great is announced on CES 2015 in a few days... But then it's a paper launch, and is probably available in the summer at earliest.

Back