ViewSonic gTablet 10.1" Multi-touch Tablet $279.99 at Woot.com

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
http://www.woot.com/ as usual.

The ViewSonic gTablet 10.1" Multi-touch Tablet specs are on the page about 3/5ths of the way down so, no since quoting all that again here.

A lot of people are looking for tablets these days, and while I wouldn't get this myself, it could prove useful to somebody. Says it's got a dual core Tegra 2 but I'm kinda doubting that myself... I guess it does. Android 2.2 with no info available about potential upgrades, maybe the XDA-Developers forum would have some people looking at it, no idea.

But, there it is... personally for the similarity in cost, I'd say the Barnes & Noble NOOKColor is still the better buy. ;)

DOH!!! Decided to check, and apparently XDA is all over it with a gTablet subforum all for that device:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=841

and yes, there's Gingerbread and probably Honeycomb builds too.

Ok, last edit: no Honeycomb ports/builds until Google releases the Android 3.0 source code, which probably will be early summer if not sooner, just for the record. So Gingerbread is the best these gTablets are capable of presently. Still, since XDA is on it, that's a definite plus to buying one.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's like the Galaxy Tab and can do hdmi by way of optional accessory.

its a slick tablet

full 2d/3d acceleration tegra dual core. the available dock has hdmi output.

on xda devs there are atleast 4 custom roms, and there is active honeycomb development going on for this tablet as well.

the only thing that really sucks about it is the screen, which has poor viewing angle.

That and its got the Tegra dual core which doesn't play any HD videos.

Yes good tablet. Not a very good screen. Much better price. And this does have tegra 2 and is very speedy. You will have to remove the stock software immediately though and install a custom rom. The included tap n talk overlay is not very good.

Also don't be scared to flash it this thing is almost impossible to brick. Its fatal flaw however is the screen unfortunately.

Almost ordered it but I came to my senses. I would never be able to live with that screen (coming from a nook color), and the form factor is a little too bulky for me. I do like that it has Tegra2 in it though, but that doesnt decode HD video??

The ONLY thing I hate about my NC is that I have to transcode my movie files so I get good framerates (once I do that the quallity is more than fine though).

the guy who said it didnt was mistaken.

the ONLY thing that held it back was missing driv ers from nvidia. i read a few weeks ago they released the drivers and now it plays most anything without a problem.

HDMI out would be great in a small tablet use it for presentations or just dock it in as an extra computer maybe run some videos over the TV. You have to admit of all the companies to skil HDMI out Viewsonic is the last one that should lol. Pass up a chance to sell more monitors?

the guy who said it didnt was mistaken.

the ONLY thing that held it back was missing driv ers from nvidia. i read a few weeks ago they released the drivers and now it plays most anything without a problem.

uhh, no it doesn't. The Boxee box dropped Tegra 2 because of the HD video issue. Look at the Moto Xoom forum on XDA and you will see no one can get it to play 720 or 1080P files. I had a Moto Xoom for 2 weeks and know first hand that HD video doesn't work on it.

From everything I've seen - including demoing a Xoom with some test clips I created with HandBrake; main profile 720p stuff - the Xoom can play HD clips just fine. It's limited to 720p clips on the device for playback while it outputs for 1080p over the HDMI since obviously there's zero point in trying to play a 1080p clip on a ~720p resolution screen.

But it played the clips I created just fine as long as those clips conform to the specs the XOOM is capable of: if you're trying to toss 25GB 1080p Blu-ray MP4 encodes at it with 20Mbps bitrates, forget it... ;)

uhh, no it doesn't. The Boxee box dropped Tegra 2 because of the HD video issue. Look at the Moto Xoom forum on XDA and you will see no one can get it to play 720 or 1080P files. I had a Moto Xoom for 2 weeks and know first hand that HD video doesn't work on it.

keep reading about the boxee, they only dropped the tegra2 for its inability to play once specific type of encoded h.264. im sorry you fell for the hype and got a xoom.

per this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=985511 the tegra2 is 2d/3d accelerated

Player: MP4, 3GP, WEBM, MKV, MPEG-2 TS , OggS
Recorder - MP4/3GP
Streaming: HTTP, RTSP, HTTPLIVE(Apple)
Audio decoders : AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MP3, VORBIS
Video decoders: H264, VPx, MPEG4, H263
Audio encoder: AMR-NB, AMR-WB, AAC
Video Encode: H264, H263, m4v

the saddest part about the power of the chipsets, is nvidia's lack of driver support (or drivers altogether) for them

There are hdmi out docks. I just bit on this deal myself, have been watching Sears hoping for one of the refurbs to come in stock near me, brand new for the same price, I'll take this. I probably would have spent another $120 for a new g1 ipad, but since the refused the sony reader app, and all of my legacy books are for my sony reader.....

http://www.merimobiles.com/Malata_Zpadt2_Docking_Station_HDMI_OUT_USB_LAN_p/meri0548.htm

I understand that xda is working on hd video, but that it might take awhile, also viewsonic stated they were working on "versions" of android for the gtab, so gingerbread is likely and honeycomb is possible. Though I bet xda puts out a much better version than viewsonic does, but since they do this in their spare time it will be awhile.

too many complaints about the screen for me to get in on this deal.

A coworker has this tablet and while it's rather awesome after upgrading to a ROM off xda, the screen quality does suck large amounts of ass and is the reason I'm not buying one.

Why? Who needs that in a low-cost tablet?

I have a 4.8" pmp that I watch HD videos on while commuting. I would prefer to meet up with my girl or some friends to watch a movie without having to carry around a dock. an hdmi cable I can live with.

the Ramos W10 comes a lot closer to what I am looking for, gonna pass on this one.

Good price. Stock isn't very good, but with a custom ROM from XDA apparently it's a pretty good tablet.

Personally the screen viewing angles are important to me. The Nook color's IPS is great.

But if size and the other features the g tablet brings are good for you, it's a good buy.

Buddy of mine just bought one and said that the viewing angles are crap. He constantly talked trash about my nook color, but he ended up returning his because the default build was garbage and I still have my device. :D

When they named the interface "Tap n Tap", they really meant it. I had to hit the "A" and "L" keys a jillion times to get them to work.

Viewsonic cheaped out on the touch surface and the screen itself big time. There's a reason these are so inexpensive.

Returned mine. J&R photo was very accommodating (but I'm still out the $12 for return shipping :()

i actually had one of these as well. i returned it within a week due to the viewing angles. the screen is just too awful. i buy and keep a ton of crap i don't use. but i couldn't keep this tablet.

These are on eBay right now from TigerDirect for $299 free shipping if anyone is still interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Viewsonic-gTabl...=63&clkid=8059650764062126188#ht_11640wt_1139

I picked one up because I couldn't justify spending $600 on a Xoom. I figure it's like a tablet "rental" until the Honeycomb tablets come out. Probably can still sell it for $200. I mean, those recent ePads go for $250 on ebay and God only knows what kind of hardware is in those.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These are on eBay right now from TigerDirect for $299 free shipping if anyone is still interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Viewsonic-gTabl...=63&clkid=8059650764062126188#ht_11640wt_1139

I picked one up because I couldn't justify spending $600 on a Xoom. I figure it's like a tablet "rental" until the Honeycomb tablets come out. Probably can still sell it for $200. I mean, those recent ePads go for $250 on ebay and God only knows what kind of hardware is in those.

Aren't these supposed to get honeycomb?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone find it ironic that a (primarily) monitor producing company made a tablet and then put a horrible screen in it?

It seems like they put everything but the screen, that seems interesting to me - cost cutting (on the wrong thing) to make a budget tablet?

When they named the interface "Tap n Tap", they really meant it. I had to hit the "A" and "L" keys a jillion times to get them to work.
That's because Viewsonic really screwed the pooch when they put that joke TnT on the tablet. I loaded up TnT lite from XDA Dev and the thing is blazingly fast since then.

Anyone find it ironic that a (primarily) monitor producing company made a tablet and then put a horrible screen in it?

It seems like they put everything but the screen, that seems interesting to me - cost cutting (on the wrong thing) to make a budget tablet?
That is because Viewsonic does not manufactured the tablet themselves. The tablet appears to have been manufactured by a company called Malata in China; they also market an up-spec tablet under their own brand named called the ZPad T2 (1GB vs 512MB, option for 3G and internal GPS)

well can it also be said that viewsonic makes nothing themself? Fact is they contracted it and put their name on it. This is pretty normal for companies now days. Apple doesnt make much of anything either. In fact I bet viewsonic did not write the software either. Regardless if you drop your name on something you should be doing a little thinking about it and how it plays into your companies profile, does it help your reputation, help you sell other products and such.

Viewsonic screwed this thing up in alot of ways, a monitor company didnt bother to put HDMI out, and did not bother to give it a decent screen. Then they fumbled the software instead of just sticking with a stock android. It sounds like they just messed this up in every way imaginable.

Back