ViewSonic FuHzion VX2265WM - Get one!

chicken-

n00b
I'm a hardcore FPS gamer, never even considered buying an LCD until viewsonic released this bad boy.

Got the Viewsonic VX2265WM yesterday, and it OWNS. I've never owned an LCD in my life cuz I'm so picky about refresh rates, swapped out my 120hz CRT for this badboy and I haven't looked back.

The side to side viewing angles actually are quite acceptable, moving your head up and down causes the top part of the monitor to go dim, but I guess as long as you don't nod your head while you use it it's fine hehe. Even my old games like unreal tournament (original) work fine, and I don't notice any lag at all compared to 120hz on my CRT. I've never had a CRT that could do a high res and look nice anyway so this is actually a step up in my mind.

Buy.com screwed me, they actually had it listed for special order @ $220, but they pulled some crap and ended up cancelling it on me, pretty sure they made a mistake on the price, they claim viewsonic wasn't sending them anymore and it was "while supplies lasted" even tho it never said they had it in stock to beginwith. So I paid $385 from compuplus.com Overall I'm quite satisfied and won't think twice about spending that money, was a great purchase.

I agree, I purchased this monitor and have been using it the past few days for gaming, from what i've seen it is a worthy replacement for my crt for gaming. I have set up my older 60hz lcd (Samsung 2253bw) next to it and used the clone feature to play some Call of Duty 4 to see if I could see if there was a difference, well the difference is huge. The image is much smoother and fluid, I also setup my 19" crt (Samsung 955DF) in clone mode and compared the two. The Viewsonic is just as smooth in game, but a great deal sharper then the image of the crt, much easier to spot people in game.

Hoping to get my VX2265WM this week through amazon, CDW gave me some really disgusting news, and had to cancel my order with them. Lets see more impressions!

I had my order in with CDW for a full week and they constantly gave me excuses as to why my order was not shipped yet. I canceled my order and placed it with a different company, got my monitor the next day.

Guys, what about some input lag testing? This monitor has been on market for quite some time, but still no reviews.

The only test I needed it to pass was to be able to play FPS games on it without feeling restricted like I was on my 60Hz lcd, it passed that test with flying colors. I will now gladly be ridding myself of my old crt, which has gotten horrible to read text on the past couple of years.

Guys, what about some input lag testing? This monitor has been on market for quite some time, but still no reviews.

I'd like to perform a battery of tests and write up a nice little first impression on here when I receive my monitor tomorrow, but where could I go to do this? I'm assuming this might be a little difficult since the 120hz mode requires a dual dvi link, which makes it an interesting problem if I try to perform clone mode somehow? :\

I really wish I had a CRT to run a test against the L227WTG and the vx2265wm, but it looks like the only choice I have is to run both of the monitors against each other and see which does well, which should be a little interesting to see 76hz vs 120hz @ native 1680 x 1050... Hopefully I can get this done soon ;)

man as soon as my tax returns arrive I see one of these in my future. If I do get it it will have to go against my FW900 and we'll see what's up.

This is THE monitor to get for serious FPS gamers, jeez. I can rest easy now and finally say goodbye to my CRT days. (despite not having used one for gaming in over 2 years) For awhile I thought I was content with a viewsonic vx922 -> Samsung 226bw S-panel -> LG L227WTG-PF.....all 60hz monitors - great in some respects.

BUT - 120hz is key. The mouse smoothness and fluid everything is back. Simple things such as browsing webpages while scrolling (no more blocky effect), the look and feel of just moving the mouse on the desktop (no more strobe light trailing look), and MOST important: GAMING is even better.

GREAT MONITOR (for now) - really looking forward to the LED backlit, 1080p+, 23+", 120+hz LCD/OLED/?? monitors whenever they are do.

[EDIT]

Shit, after playing a few games I'm starting to believe these first gen 120hz monitors suffer from a little too much input latency. Mouse feels sluggish in a few games and I can't get the brightness controls to work.

ugh, should have just stuck with the LG L227WTG-PF

After a good 6 or so hours of use - this monitor is going back.

It must have tremendous mouse latency because warsow/quake3/crysis wars/left4dead feel awful compared to the other monitors (L227WTG-PF mostly)

The 120hz looks absolutely great though. It would have been nice to have 120hz at all resolutions and not just 1680x1050. There's little to no customization - just a speaker volume up/down (not using speakers) and brightness up/down (not working at all?? - so have to use ATI control panel)

120hz is good but it doesn't overshadow all the other problems for me personally. Was nice to test it out I guess.

It must have tremendous mouse latency because warsow/quake3/crysis wars/left4dead feel awful compared to the other monitors (L227WTG-PF mostly)

The 120hz looks absolutely great though. It would have been nice to have 120hz at all resolutions and not just 1680x1050. There's little to no customization - just a speaker volume up/down (not using speakers) and brightness up/down (not working at all?? - so have to use ATI control panel)

120hz is good but it doesn't overshadow all the other problems for me personally. Was nice to test it out I guess.

sorry to hear that. i can feel the lag on my planar 26, hard to come to terms with that. BUT if you want a large screen what else are you going to do.

Yea plz, that's the question, is this worse or better in input lag and maybe ghosting as well compared to Samsung 2233rz 120Hz. I really need to find out this ASAP. xD

Samsung 2233rz had a somewhat tolerable input lag for a LCD of ~12ms avg (4ms min, 20ms max). Ghosting was less than on any 60Hz LCDs according to Digitalversus. The Samsung 2233rz has now also started appearing on German sites at least, without the 3D glasses of course but price is high ~350 EUR, which would correspond to around typical $400 USD pricetag, ie. a little expensier than the ViewSonic, so maybe that's the hook with ViewSonic one being a little cheaper, worse in input lag?

I've been trying to play as much counter strike source to get a feel of the monitor... I've also tried to do the input lag test versus the LG L227 and I came up with weird results on the photos.

dscn2307.jpg

dscn2313.jpg

dscn2311.jpg

dscn2310.jpg

I found my gaming experience to be very pleasant but not worth the 400 dollar price tag for a 22 inch TN. I would highly recommend it to any gamer who is still stuck on using a CRT ( this is coming from someone who had a 22" Trinitron at 144hz before it finally died ). I don't really feel the lag and I've definitely seen improvement as far as my gaming ability.

Did you make sure that the games were running in 120hz? I know for sure that in CS:Source, you need to add the -refresh 121 option in the launch options to force it that way. UT3 and HL2 based games seemed to look and feel better on this monitor.

So hows the 3d stuff guys? Can you do 3d on an AMD card?

Does it have HDCP/HDMI? Can I plug in a PS3?

I've used this monitor now for 2-3 weeks and have not had any issues of mouse latency what so ever. There is clearly something you are overlooking that is causing your issue with the monitor. I play competitive Call of Duty 4, this monitor is definitely a worthy CRT replacement and loads better then any 60hz slideshow LCD.

Movement around the desktop feels great. In game is another story. And yes, I made sure to set whatever cvar required in the game to force 120hz. (vid_displayfrequency 120 in warsow and r_displayrefresh in quakelive/q3)

I'll probably pick up another L227WTG-PF tonight and comapre them against each other.

Is there a way to turn down the brightness? This monitor doesn't even have on screen options...weird.

Ordered my vx2265wm yesterday. Should be here Thursday. I'm so excited I could piddle.

Seriously though, I have been very happy with my Samsung 226BW. The only downside is the refresh rate. It's fine for World of Warcraft or Company of Heroes, but every time I fire up Quake 3/Live I get a headache and want to start punching things. 60hz just isn't enough. And the old 75lb CRT is just too much of a pain.

I want to make a quick comment to BM00. Check your ATI control panel. The marketing says that the controls for the display are all done through the video driver. This is different than we are used to, but I think it will work out really well if they can get it right. Think about it.....you could adjust the settings PER APPLICATION. Sounds like a winner to me.

Anyway, I'll be posting my review this weekend. :D

WOW, I now have a theory as to why I was clueless in believing this monitor has high input latency....because my eyes were used to the look and feel of 60/75hz.

Tried flip queue of 0-3 or default, ATi control panel monitor scaling options, etc etc.

Luckily I still have a Sony CRT around and have just completed a lot of testing in the games I complained about. THE FEELING AND LOOK IS THE SAME.

The mouse is as sluggish as I described earlier with the CRT. I think the lower hz masks the effects of mouse response to me. I also took a series of pictures with my camera of both the CRT and VX2265WM. Manual setting with ISO 400/800 and auto (for kicks)

I'll have to detract my earlier statements. This monitor actually is the real deal jeez.

img0615k.jpg

img0618p.jpg

img0619c.jpg

img0621x.jpg

img0627p.jpg

omg 0ms lag

tax returns need to get here soon

also, I would like to ask the people who have bought these already to please play with vsync off and then post your thoughts, one of the main advantages of 120hz is that it makes the tearing very hard to see making vsync obsolete.

its a pretty good monitor, but im not sure if its worth almost 400 bucks for a 22 inch... I enjoy my VX2265WM, will have to protect it when I bring it to LANS :p

I cant wait for 30 inch IPS 120hz 2ms monitors, wonder how long that will take or even how much that would be, haha :p

z0mg, I'd still want Digitalversus to test it as well like they said they would. Well neither the Samsung nor the ViewSonic is available in Finland yet anyways so got time to decide still.

Anyway thanks for the feedback about this monitor, keep em comming! :p

And I for one gladly look forward to some bigger size, been using 19" CRT for ages now and 1280x960 @ 100Hz... 1680x1050 @ 120Hz even if it might have slight input lag and ghosting, the res and high refresh rate could even give a benefit rather than only matching the CRT. Cuz the wider the screen is and lower res the fatter the enemies will appear and 22" widescreen might give such benefits, although it's mostly probably only a mental difference so to speak. :p Oh and higher FOVs can be used.

For any owners of this monitor, can you:

1. Run the lag tests at non-native resolution (e.g. 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768) and see if the LCD's scaler introduces any lag? I'm not sure what resolution those lag tests were done on.

2. Comment on the quality of the scaler? (e.g. compare versus the videocard doing the scaling in hardware - jagged pixels? anti-aliasing?)

3. Check if there's scaling options to keep the proper 4:3 aspect ratio (e.g. with black bars on the sides) for non-widescreen resolutions? Or the proper 16:9 aspect ratio for those resolutions (e.g. black bars on top/bottom due to 16:10 screen)?

The reason I ask is because I might consider this LCD if it can run lower resolutions acceptably for old-school consoles that run at lower res. The XRGB-2 only outputs at 640x480, the dreamcast also outputs at 640x480, PS3 @ 1280x720, etc. At least X360 will run at native resolution w/ the internal scaler, although I'm not sure if it stretches all the way to the edge or maintains the proper aspect ratio.

I assume this has 1 DVI and 1 VGA input on the back?
Also, are there VESA mounting holes for using 3rd party stands?

Although my GDM-FW900 works great for consoles, it's huge and I can't really get perfect geometry out of it, whereas LCDs have perfect geometry as a given. Of course, LCDs have their own problems - dead pixel lottery, viewing angles on TNs, input lag, etc... this monitor might address at least the input lag / refresh rate part of it, but I won't be interested unless it can handle non-native resolutions capably like a CRT can.

Thanks.

The reason I ask is because I might consider this LCD if it can run lower resolutions acceptably for old-school consoles that run at lower res.

Okay, but keep in mind that old-school consoles don't output at 120hz so there's really no point in buying a 120hz lcd like the vx2265wm or 2233rz for that purpose. Unless you're gaming on a PC that supports a dual link DVI output, you may as well save yourself a couple hundred bucks and pick up a standard 60hz lcd.

I kind of want the samsung 2233rz more. This monitor has no OSD and I can't get the brightness controls to work? I know the samsung has to have an OSD - the only thing is will it be as responsive as this monitor?

Well I have 29 days left to decide on whether to keep it. That's one of the perks of buying local.

So how do you adjust brightness and contrast? If I had to use the default settings on most LCDs I think I would go blind.

Appearently you adjust brightness by pressing button "1" but damn no OSD? WTF is that about.

that viewsonic case looks very cheap and unattractive. When is dell coming out with one?

also, dz.dose is a baddie. /join #Wolfenstein summer09.rtcw2 --- irc.gamesurge.net

Decided to return this monitor. No OSD controls to fine tune brightness, gamma, sharpness, colors, etc really hurt...what were they thinking?! I found out the only way the brightness arrows work are when the monitor is set to 60hz. When it's then set to 120hz it doesn't save the setting and instead just goes to full brightness. Ati control panel can only do so much.

I'm wanting to get the Samsung 2233rz 120hz monitor locally - not out yet so the waiting game begins again.

my brightness controls work as well....

I hope the Samsung will satisfy your needs :p

I would have come to the same conclusion had the brightness worked. Hard to believe there is no OSD.

I'm trying to figure out if the BenQ e2400HD does 75hz at any resolution. I need at least 75hz to play warsow/quake3 comforably. All new games I'd like to keep @ 60hz/60fps.

120hz / 120fps vsync looks amazing in left4dead though. So fluid and responsive.

any definitive answer on brightness/contrast controls? I'm close to pulling the trigger...

I've used this monitor now for 2-3 weeks and have not had any issues of mouse latency what so ever. There is clearly something you are overlooking that is causing your issue with the monitor. I play competitive Call of Duty 4, this monitor is definitely a worthy CRT replacement and loads better then any 60hz slideshow LCD.
do you play at native rez? I ask because my 8800gt needs 1280x800 to maintain 100fps... I'm trying to hold out for the next Nvidia generation, to go with my core i7 (or i5) build.

Yes, I play at 1680x1050 and cap my frames at 120(125) or 250 in CoD4.

I have read that lcd's that do 75Hz are skipping the 3rd refresh or something to that nature?

Back