ViewSonic FuHzion VX2265WM - Get one!

kmartburrito, do you have the name of the rep you spoke with? I almost sent it back to Tiger Direct today but I was running late from work, I want to call Viewsonic first and see if they offer me the same option.

update, just got off the phone with Viewsonic and was told something different. the guy said that while there are 2 firmwares available, the newer one is actually the one that forces the brightness at 100% because the the original wasn't bright enough for the people using glasses. I told him about your conversation and after being put on hold he came back and said that his manager told him that nothing can be done and there is no way to make the brightness work. His knowledge of the topic was extremely limited and I wonder if the manager just told him to say that not giving a shit about my problem. If the memory recall doesn't work and you have to call back please write down the name of the person you speak with to get your monitor sent in for firmware change and get his managers name if possible. I am getting to the end of the line with Viewsonic, if 120hz wasn't such a big deal to me I would have told them to go fuck themselves a while ago, returned it, and never bought one of their products again.

Hi there,

I'm on the phone with them now after trying the memory recall and power cycle. Unfortunately, those were unsuccessful.

The rep that I'm speaking with currently is a guy named Jason. I asked him about the issue, and if he had other reports of it happening, and he said that this was the first that he had heard of this issue on the 2265wm. He had said that if a recall was issued, they receive flashes indicating those recalls, and he didn't see one on this unit.

I was issued an RMA # and address to send to. He said that they will either update the firmware, repair the unit, or send me a new unit since it hasn't been very long ago that I purchased it.

If it will help you, here's my case # C967715

I think it's important, more than anything, that they are made aware that this problem is out there. Please if you have this monitor and are experiencing this issue, call them and report it and link to my case # so they can get it documented.

Furthermore, I don't give a @#$% about the glasses, I'd just like to be able to adjust my brightness without exiting my game I'm playing.

When I mentioned that there were other cases I had found online of people with this issue, Jason said that he would share my info with his supervisor and send the report to Corporate, possibly to issue a recall if they get more reports of the issue.

Good luck, and let me know how the call goes with them shiznit. Their support number is 1-800-688-6688. (EDIT: But I'm sure you already know that since you called them earlier...sheesh :) )

-Nathan

So, now I'm wondering what to do.

I've had this monitor for 18 days. I bought it at a local retailer that has a no questions return policy.

When talking to Viewsonic, they said that once I send in the unit, it should take between two to four weeks to get it back to me. That will put me outside of the 30 day return policy at the retailer.

What would you guys suggest? Should I return it first to see if it's just the monitor, and THEN send it in, or should I just go ahead and send in this one?

If there's honestly nothing that Viewsonic can do to fix this issue, then I'm not sure I want to be stuck with it, although I'm not going back to a sub 100hz monitor for any dollar amount in the world.

I'm not perhaps the right guy to speak for it but I'm sure there are people here that are interested in seeing if ViewSonic would be able to do something about it if you RMA it. Still it's your money and time, so you should do what you think it's best for you.

I'm not perhaps the right guy to speak for it but I'm sure there are people here that are interested in seeing if ViewSonic would be able to do something about it if you RMA it. Still it's your money and time, so you should do what you think it's best for you.

Well, in thinking a little bit more about the issue, I think I'm going to do the following. Note, this is possibly even a better option as it will include some good steps to troubleshoot the overall issue.

I'm going to exchange it for another vx2265wm. There was another person in this thread that stated theirs didn't have an issue @ 120hz. I'm not convinced that his monitor was, in fact, forced to 120hz at all times, although he sounded pretty confident.

In exchanging the monitor, I'll accomplish at least two things:

1) I'll get another monitor that doesn't have the issue. That means we've isolated it to a problem with certain monitors in the production line. Or, and more likely, I'll get another vx2265wm that has the exact same issue. This will prove to ViewSonic that it isn't an isolated issue. I will then immediately RMA that unit to ViewSonic and allow them to resolve the issue.

2) I'm assuming that exchanging the monitor for another one will give me a new 30-day timeframe in which to make my decision on whether to keep it or not. With the unit RMA'd to viewsonic, hopefully they'll resolve the issue, or tell me, like they told shiznit, that there's nothing they can do. If that's the case, then maybe I'll plop the old 19" crt down and play 1024x768 @ 100hz for a little while longer.

I'm thinking this sounds like a pretty decent well-thought-out plan. What do you think?

why not try the samsung version ? Not having a monitor for four months is not how i would roll.

why not try the samsung version ? Not having a monitor for four months is not how i would roll.

Well, it's two to four weeks, so it wouldn't be four months.

And, I thought about that, but the Sammie apparently has ~10ms input lag average, up to 20ms lag, which starts to defeat the purpose of having an LCD as a viable replacement for the high refresh rates of the CRT as a gaming monitor.

Last edited:
Well, it's two to four weeks, so it wouldn't be four months.

And, I thought about that, but the Sammie apparently has ~10ms input lag average, up to 20ms lag, which starts to defeat the purpose of having an LCD as a viable replacement for the high refresh rates of the CRT as a gaming monitor.

How do we know the viewsonic doesn't have the same results?

How do we know the viewsonic doesn't have the same results?

Well, I can only speak to the tests that I have done myself with the flash based lag test that most people rely on. While some people much smarter than I say that this test is inherently flawed, I had pretty good luck with it. Out of the 30 times I tested, I had 27 tests of 0ms, and 3 tests of 16ms (i.e. one frame dropped)

If you do the math, that's a 1.6ms average.

In games, it's phenomenal how much better the games feel than when I was running my crt @ 1600x1200 60hz.

I haven't really seen a lot of people that have tested the Samsung panel, but I'm curious myself to see how it would be...DigitalVersus said 4ms min, 20ms max, 12ms average.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=458&p1=4495&ma2=48&ph=12

Got the viewsonic yesterday. I was blown away how much better movement is.

I primarily play scout on TF2, which is very fast paced. This monitor makes a big difference.

The whole brightness things is annoying and it should work for $350, but it doesn't bother me particularly much. This monitor is worth it, no doubt in my mind. I upgraded from a 19" LCD, so keep that in mind.

Got the viewsonic yesterday. I was blown away how much better movement is.

I primarily play scout on TF2, which is very fast paced. This monitor makes a big difference.

The whole brightness things is annoying and it should work for $350, but it doesn't bother me particularly much. This monitor is worth it, no doubt in my mind. I upgraded from a 19" LCD, so keep that in mind.

I'm going to go exchange mine tonight for a new one to see if that resolves the issue, but I'm not convinced it will.

Exchanged mine today for a replacement, it's also got the issue present, as I expected it would. Now I need to call and chat with ViewSonic some more to see what they suggest.

Well I took the plunge and purchased the ViewSonic VX2265WM LCD. I had my doubts but after installing the INF file and then setting the refresh rate to 120Hz... I was BLOWN away!

Mind you, I am coming from a Sony FW-900 CRT... I have tried out numerous supposed gamer LCDs and was never satisfied... I think the only LCD, previous to this purchase, that I was impressed with was the Acer G24... the Acer G24 was very impressive but ultimately the Wide Gamut and the horrible backlighting drove me to ship it back.

Maybe I got lucky... but my new ViewSonic 120Hz display has ridiculously even backlighting AND I have zero dead pixels and zero stuck pixels. Now, in the past I have not been this fortunate... most LCDs that I have tried out had the typical flashlight effect going on. I have read on these here forums that we LCD buyers shouldn't tolerate paying full price for a LCD that will vary from LCD to LCD in terms of dead pixels, and horrible backlighting. I for one agree with this and again, I got really lucky because my backlighting is perfect.

This is a TN display and I have seen the standard issues with TN displays where the moment you shift your position you get shifting of colors which is annoying as all get out. This Viewsonic display is a TN display but the viewing angles are very very good for a TN display. I can slouch in my office chair and see very little change in coloration.

I do however have the brightness issue. However, with all the positives, I can live with the lack of an OSD and the lack of adjustability with regards to the brightness / contrast.

Gaming has never been better on an LCD... so my FW-900 is now officially retired.

3 Year Warranty rox! 120Hz is superb! Feels just like my old trusty FW-900.

I purchased from Tigerdirect due in part to my experiences with returns. All LCD's that I have purchased from Tigerdirect, I was able to return for a full refund. Tigerdirect deserves my business that is for sure seeing as I have unfortunately had to return a few LCDs due to poor quality of the product. I had to pay $15 more than with Buy.com but it was worth it.

I got the same monitor from Office Depot for $199 and just went back and got another one!

I hope you are not talking about the ViewSonic VX2260wm... the LCD we are talking about is the VX2265WM... notice the 2265 in there? The 2260 is not the same LCD... it is not a 120Hz display...

I looked on Office Depots website and they don't even have the 2265WM listed... ???

Ugh, my new exchanged monitor has a stuck pixel...looks like it's going back to ViewSonic anyway :rolleyes:

At least in buying the ViewSonic monitor, they have a 30 day zero dead pixel policy, so not only should they be able to shed some light on the brightness issue, but they should replace my monitor too. yay!

I'm a little annoyed with ViewSonic at this point. I called them today to let them know my new monitor had a dead pixel and the same brightness issue, and they notified me that their policy is to not replace a display unless it has 4 stuck pixels or 3 dead pixels.

The article I found was from their Australia site. WTF?!? So, in Australia, they'll replace it within 30 days of purchase if there are ANY, but in the US it's different. That's CRAP. At this point, I almost want to exchange it for the Samsung model, especially since ViewSonic isn't going to foot the bill for me to send in my unit. I'm probably going to have to pay close to the $30 to ship it that it would cost for me to exchange it for the Samsung model. Now I'm not sure what to do.

I still am in love with this LCD... however, I seem to have a problem with mine and I can't quite figure it out....

While gaming I will occasionally see a "Fluttering" effect happening on the display. The screen will sort of shimmering... it's like the image has another image pulsing behind it or something...

It only happens while gaming and not all the time either... if I alt - tab out of a game to my desktop the shimmering goes away... but if I go right back to the game again I can see the fluttering image again...

The motion is smooth as butter... but I am wondering if the problem might be that my refresh rate isn't running properly at 120Hz when I am in a game...

I play Age of Conan and unfortunately there is no option to FORCE the Refresh rate in game...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Any of you guys buy this just for 120hertz then decided to buy the Nvidia 3D vision?

Considering selling my 2209WA and buying this along with the 3D vision.

I'd just like to say that I bought the 2265wm the day it came out, and to date I have no dead pixels or anything of that nature. 120hz works perfect and I switched from a 120hz CRT and noticed no difference in games. I refused to use LCDs up until now.

Lack of OSD is slightly annoying but any1 who buys this monitor probably has a nice video card, which has contrast/gamma type options in the videocard control panel.

anyone know if the ViewSonic 120Hz VX2265wm works on winxp 32bit? The drivers on the viewsonic website are for vista only

So I picked one of these up this week. I love it and dont mind lack of OSD too much but I found a really annoying issue. whether I adjust the brightness and contrast from the Color Management in Win7 or through the Nvidia drivers Bioshock 2, Crysis Warhead and a few other games override those settings. In fact the setting actually get changed in the nvidia control panel from use nvidia settings to the default. Most games work fine, only a few override it and in game it's too damn bright that the image looks awful. Has anyone else run across this? Any way to fix it??

Back