ViewSonic FuHzion VX2265WM - Get one!

My vx2265wm just arrived. I'm at the office still, so I can't put it to use. (yay for on-board video) I will be taking it home for some serious gaming this evening. I'm stoked. I haven't been able to enjoy Quake 3 for ages.

I'm sorry to hear that BM00 didn't keep his. Here's hoping that the lack of OSD doesn't bug me too much.

Are there any threads you guys would recommend for tools/apps to test this bad boy?

So far so good! I have a full weekend of fragging ahead of me, but here is the review so far.

This thing is wild. It's like the old days when I switched to a decent high-refresh monitor. The first obvious change is the cursor. If you draw quick circles with your mouse on a normal LCD, you will see 10-15 "shadows" of the cursor on screen. With 120hz, there are twice as many, therefore, it looks twice as smooth. That may sound kind of random, but the difference in perception is incredible. When you move the mouse from place to place, the cursor doesn't skip and jump. It feels smooth and fluid.

First thing I tried was TF2......holy hell. It was like sobering up after a long night of slamming Jager shots and trying to play paintball on a field lit by nothing but strobe lights. I went from seeing people skip across my screen to seeing them slide across it. I can finally see Scouts. Those little $%#ers move faster than my old LCD could display. But now....now the sun has come out. Now the scouts will die.

Next up was Quake Live. Those of you who are intimately familiar Quake 3 will already know why this upgrade is so great. Quake 3/Live calculates physics based on the rate frames are rendered. (The rounding of physics gets ugly with low frame rates, but has several "hotspots". Right around 120hz is one of the best.) The rate at which frames are rendered doesn't have to map directly to the monitor, but it really should. I mean, if the computer is drawing 120 frames, but you are only displaying 60 there is a ton of stuff you're simply not seeing. In a game as fast-paced as Quake, every single frame is precious.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I couldn't even play Quake on my old LCD. I would just get dizzy headaches. Welcome back, Quake. I've missed you.

As for the issues that some people have had with the brightness, I think you might need to try holding the button down longer. Just tapping it doesn't do anything. You have to hold it down for a few seconds. Sure, I can understand that some people want an OSD, but I don't really know why. Your video card will always be better at manipulating the video data than the simple components of a monitor could ever be. And for those of you using your monitor on a console, don't buy this thing. You can't output 120hz anyway, so don't waste your money.

All in all, I am 100% happy with my vx2265wm. It's exactly what I wanted. No more. No less.

If you want VGA or HDMI, go elsewhere.
If you want an OSD, go elsewhere.
If you want cheap, go elsewhere.
If you want perfect color reproduction, go elsewhere.
If you want crazy viewing angles (Who the hell is looking at their monitor from those angles anyway?), go elsewhere.

If, however, you are a hertz junkie and have been dying for a way to replace that 80lb CRT behemoth taking up your entire desk, look no further. This IS the LCD you have been waiting for.

Nice, I'm happy for you nexizen. The seed has been sewn in any case, I will most certainly go back to 120hz next year or so. It was a pleasure to see the mouse cursor and website scrolling be so fluid and responsive. Playing quakelive/q3, warsow, left4dead looked amazing. Unfortunately, to me the first gen 120hz isn't quite up where I think it should be when priced at $400. I look forward to 16:9 1080p, LED backlit, 120hz, 2ms response, 0ms input lag LCD monitors in our future. It cannot come soon enough.

According to a tester in an earlier post, we've already got two of those requests covered.

I look forward to 16:9 1080p, LED backlit, 120hz, 2ms response, 0ms input lag LCD monitors in our future. It cannot come soon enough.

So when you control brightness on this monitor you are changing the video card's settings and there is no backlight control?

Wow no OSD? :eek: wtf was viewsonic thinking , that its 1995 and no one cares about fine tuning the picture. I wouldn't dare touch a modern day LCD without being able to fine tune its picture.

I love the zero input lag , thats sexy, guess I'll just wait til the next gen before I jump in.

Wow no OSD? :eek: wtf was viewsonic thinking , that its 1995 and no one cares about fine tuning the picture. I wouldn't dare touch a modern day LCD without being able to fine tune its picture.
I assume you can fine tune it through software, this is the way a lot of digital LCD panels have gone. In fact some models that support both analog VGA and digital DVI connection, provide full OSD functions for VGA connections, but with DVI they disable the OSD or strip it down to limited functionality. As long as they provide full tuning support over DVI, personally I'd rather have it that way. Now if they dumb it down to where you can barely control anything, that's a different story.

Yea u can always software tune the other things, I always have rivatuner installed for overclocking so I don't necessarily need the OSD so much but I'd still wanna see some more accurate color, input lag and ghosting tests to be able to compare it to Samsung 2233rz. The Samsung has quite poor colors with a typical bluish tint.

ViewSonic VX2265WM is now also available at egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116402

A little clarification. The "Brightness" controls on the monitor appear to just change the brightness of the backlights. It works too. My colors don't seem to shift too much as I turn it up and down. And let me tell you, this bad boy get BRIGHT. The rest of adjustments are handled by my video driver. It took me less than 5 minutes to get it set just the way I like it. Now I'm not an artist, so I don't need 100% accurate color, but that's not what this monitor is for. (If you want perfect color, don't buy a TN panel.)

I don't miss the OSD. Not one bit. I hate the way they work. The input is so archaic. And most of the time they don't even give me enough control.

We need to get away from this thought that the input signal is locked, or needs to be adjusted. IT'S DIGITAL PEOPLE. If your panel isn't doing a good job of reproducing the signal it's receiving, you can adjust the signal. Why should you have to change it on the monitor? It's just as easy (easier as far as I'm concerned) to adjust it with the video driver.

whats this now?
so i just need a dual dvi link cable and my 8800gt's dual dvi ports and im good right?

I don't know if you interpreted it correctly or not but Dual-Link DVI is one cable but it's got twice as many pins as the standard DVI cable which allows more bandwidth and 120Hz operation up to 1920x1200 I think.

Yea just about any modern and semi-modern graphic card should have the right connectors, incl 8800GT, NVIDIA officially recommends 9600GT or 8800GT or higher for 3D gaming which needs 120Hz but that's more because of the high demand for 120 FPS operation for newer games.

I also have a 8800GT but bought a very nice clocking EVGA 55nm GTX 260 SP216 SuperClocked (clocks to at least 783/1566/2410) to prepare for 1680x1050 @ 120Hz, until now a 8800GT has handled my gaming needs fine at 1280x960 @ 100Hz on my 19" Trinitron CRT. :)

it comes with a dual-link cable, and dual-link doesn't mean that is uses 2 ports.

edit: one think holding me back from buying this too is my 8800gt, 1680x1050 is no joke coming from being able to use 1280x800 and 1440x900 on my FW900. Hopefully I'll find a cheap used gtx280 buy the time I get this monitor. Any vendors with a full refund policy in case I'm not impressed?

is the samsung 120hz also have 0ms input lag like this one?

Not quite no, according to Digitalversus ~12ms avg and according to a forum user here 9.8ms and in worst case scenarios ~20ms which is still better than the far majority of LCDs. But it looks like the ViewSonic has lower input lag, not sure about if it's exactly 0 but should be very close anyway. The Samsung also seems to have very bad default color profile. Also ViewSonic seems to be like 20~$30 or so cheaper than Samsung but prolly because of the lack of OSD. Still ViewSonic imo is the one to get for hardcore gamers but both should satisfy. The Samsung had very little ghosting tho (less than any 60Hz), there's no accurate test for ViewSonic monitor yet.

Check these links for Samsung 2233rz info

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1387713

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358-4495-36.html

EDIT: Seems like the 3 users that commented about their experience of ViewSonic VX2265WM on newegg is quite good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116402&Tpk=vx2265wm :p

the samsung bundle with the glass come cheaper than buying the viewsonic + glass :(

and how the motion blur compared to a good plasma hdtv? I wanted to dump my t220 because I cant stand the motion blur and wanted to buy a panasonic 1080p plasma, but a true 120hz monitor (and not theses 120hz hdtv bullshit) also looks awsome...

choices ... choices ...

the samsung bundle with the glass come cheaper than buying the viewsonic + glass :(

and how the motion blur compared to a good plasma hdtv? I wanted to dump my t220 because I cant stand the motion blur and wanted to buy a panasonic 1080p plasma, but a true 120hz monitor (and not theses 120hz hdtv bullshit) also looks awsome...

choices ... choices ...
I have a panny 42pz80u and it's lightyears better than any lcd I have ever seen, although the judder-free movie playback of the "120hz" tvs is very nice but not even remotely enough to make me ditch plasma, it has almost crt-like smoothness and colors. I can't imagine the response time of this or any other lcd being even close to what plasma can do but keeping in mind that a 60hz refresh is limiting you to 16.7ms frames no matter how fast your monitor is, cutting that in half would be a massive improvement. I don't know how much of that horrid lcd blur is caused by the refresh rate and how much by the pixel response time but I would say that if you don't have a need for >60 fps gaming then get the plasma first (the 12g 2009 models are even better), but if you're like me and still use a crt monitor and play CSS at 100+ fps I would try to test drive both before deciding. When I find a store with a no bullshit return policy that sells the Viewsonic I'll let you know for certain.

Also, while the latest panny plasmas are almost impossible to burn in under normal use, they aren't made to be used as full-time monitors, image retention is still there and although invisible when used as tv you can see it on the desktop. I only connect it to the pc to play GTA and other contoller friendly games, but I have a FW900. If you're thinking of using it as a full-time monitor you might wanna find someone who is already doing it and see if they have any problems with burn-in.

I have a panny 42pz80u and it's lightyears better than any lcd I have ever seen, although the judder-free movie playback of the "120hz" tvs is very nice but not even remotely enough to make me ditch plasma, it has almost crt-like smoothness and colors. I can't imagine the response time of this or any other lcd being even close to what plasma can do but keeping in mind that a 60hz refresh is limiting you to 16.7ms frames no matter how fast your monitor is, cutting that in half would be a massive improvement. I don't know how much of that horrid lcd blur is caused by the refresh rate and how much by the pixel response time but I would say that if you don't have a need for >60 fps gaming then get the plasma first (the 12g 2009 models are even better), but if you're like me and still use a crt monitor and play CSS at 100+ fps I would try to test drive both before deciding. When I find a store with a no bullshit return policy that sells the Viewsonic I'll let you know for certain.

Also, while the latest panny plasmas are almost impossible to burn in under normal use, they aren't made to be used as full-time monitors, image retention is still there and although invisible when used as tv you can see it on the desktop. I only connect it to the pc to play GTA and other contoller friendly games, but I have a FW900. If you're thinking of using it as a full-time monitor you might wanna find someone who is already doing it and see if they have any problems with burn-in.

someone told me on another thread that even after 8hours of static menu (with resident5) it was all gone after ~1h so burn in with a full time monitor is fine as long as you dont stay 12hours straight in front of your monitor, then you have a real problem and should really take a walk outside or something.

Right now I play on my T220 lcd and I dont like it. Honestly I can live with the blur, since alot of games have it as a "feature" (crysis, tf2, ut3) the thing that bugs me the most is the wierd frame doubling that I see when turning fast, its really easy to see on the edge of an object/wall. Someone is this thread talked about how his mouse pointer was just "skipping" on 60hz and "sliding" on 120hz, pretty sure thats what I experience as well. But maybe a plasma even at 60hz dont have these problem?

There was a thread on AVSforum about this exact issue, he was saying that 30fps/60hz cause this, and 60fps/60hz removed it, I play all my games with vsync on and except tf2 because of his shitty cpu use, and play all my games at 60fps constant (gtx285) and I still see the frame doubling effect.

My best option would be to bring my computer at a local store, unfortunately my local one only have some shitty samsung plasma, and they have as much blur as my lcd, and worst, my mouse pointer had green phosphore trail while moving... ewww

someone told me on another thread that even after 8hours of static menu (with resident5) it was all gone after ~1h so burn in with a full time monitor is fine as long as you dont stay 12hours straight in front of your monitor, then you have a real problem and should really take a walk outside or something.

Right now I play on my T220 lcd and I dont like it. Honestly I can live with the blur, since alot of games have it as a "feature" (crysis, tf2, ut3) the thing that bugs me the most is the wierd frame doubling that I see when turning fast, its really easy to see on the edge of an object/wall. Someone is this thread talked about how his mouse pointer was just "skipping" on 60hz and "sliding" on 120hz, pretty sure thats what I experience as well. But maybe a plasma even at 60hz dont have these problem?

There was a thread on AVSforum about this exact issue, he was saying that 30fps/60hz cause this, and 60fps/60hz removed it, I play all my games with vsync on and except tf2 because of his shitty cpu use, and play all my games at 60fps constant (gtx285) and I still see the frame doubling effect.

My best option would be to bring my computer at a local store, unfortunately my local one only have some shitty samsung plasma, and they have as much blur as my lcd, and worst, my mouse pointer had green phosphore trail while moving... ewww
Well I disable blur in every game first change I get, it drives me crazy and I can't play on LCD because of it. There is absolutely none on the Panny plasma.

If you can live with the consequences of vsync (connection implications on top of the framerate getting halved when it falls below the refresh rate) and you are content with 60hz/60fps, and you accept the burn-in risks of using it as a monitor then I say go plasma. Sometimes I fire up CSS on my Panny and besides the tearing (I refuse to vsync) it's pretty spectacular. No blur at all except the occasional green phosphor trail (I'm extremely fickle and it doesn't bother me at all), it just glides like a crt. If they made a plasma that took a decent refresh rate so I don't have to suffer the tearing with vsync off my FW900 would have been long gone.

The 12g Pannys have 1080 lines of motion resolution now (up from 900 I think) and supposedly use a lot less power, the S series should be right up your alley.

I'm way ot now so I'll stop and you can pm me if you want.

framerate only get halved if its gpu limited. not cpu. With my gtx285 its fine. The proof, I play tf2 with vsync on and I always drop to 50ish fps in big fights, something even around 45 when it gets really heavy on a 32players server.

I'm not content with 60/60, alot of games engine calculate physic with you framerates (quake3 125fps anyone?) and I can't stand tearing. Oh and the occasional phosphor trail... really? damn I thought that was only on cheap ass plasma models... I'm very picky about visual artifacts. I think my choice will be the viewsonic. I found a cheaper deal with the 3d glasses than the samsung bundle. hey.. might as well try out 3d if I'm going to buy a 120hz after all.

Ok, I'll say one last thing. The phosphor trail is so miniscule that I only mention it not to come across as a Panasonic rep. TF2 could be triple buffering now (I wouldn't know, vsync is always forced off on my pc), which would explain why your framerate doesn't get halved but that adds hella input lag. Although TF2 was really cpu bottlenecked before the multi-core patch the other day, the vsync framerate issues have nothing to do with the source of the bottleneck, the problem is double buffering. But we agree completely on the framerate requirements, q3/cod 125 and css 100 are key.

I would get the glasses only with a full refund policy, they are pretty shitty by most accounts.

I dont use triple buffering, it adds tons of mouse lag (while my framerate remain the same) My video card dont have problem with the standard double. (the way I see it, tripple is for people having bad perf with double)

about the glasses, I heard they works awsome with l4d and tf2, happens to be the games I play the most.

I'm going for the Viewsonic, the Samsung still has some input delay (although we only have one test of the Viewsonic). My roomate agreed to buy my FW900 if I find the VX2265WM good enough.

I'm going for the Viewsonic, the Samsung still has some input delay (although we only have one test of the Viewsonic). My roomate agreed to buy my FW900 if I find the VX2265WM good enough.

but problem with settings? :(

The Viewsoncin VX2265wm looks like an attractive buy. Since I am a hz and fps freak myself. Yet could you please answer some questions... this monitor supports 120hz only in native resolution? That's normal for all LCD's? Other resolutions are 75hz or 60hz? So this means you will have to play in native res in all games, where you want 120hz right? Probably could live with that.

Been using a 21" CRT, HP P1130 for all FPS games, it's nice to have 150hz@1024x768 and 100hz@1280x1024 and difference in gaming between LCD is like night and day. But that thing is just frustrating. It's a generator of heat, it's HUGE, smells of "electrical dust", it's weighs a hefty (67.2 lbs/ 30 kg) which makes it hard to get to LAN's, and after 2 hours of gaming you feel like a roasted duck. Plus the color depth/detail is no way close to a good configured LCD (always have to use "digital vibrance"). So this new LCD with 0 input lag, and 120hz refresh is really exciting news.

The Viewsoncin VX2265wm looks like an attractive buy. Since I am a hz and fps freak myself. Yet could you please answer some questions... this monitor supports 120hz only in native resolution? That's normal for all LCD's? Other resolutions are 75hz or 60hz? So this means you will have to play in native res in all games, where you want 120hz right? Probably could live with that.
I'm about to order mine in a couple of days (sold the FW900 and waiting for Tiger Direct to get it back in stock, they do full refunds on LCDs and Newegg doesn't plus there is Live cashback), but I highly doubt you have to use native res to enjoy the 120hz refresh, the bandwith requirements are less at lower resolutions. If it doesn't let you use 120hz at lower resolutions by default it should just be a matter of creating a custom resolution in the driver. Otherwise someone at Viewsonic messed up.

I am able to have 120hz at all resolutions possible, the thing the sucks though is that it doesn't keep the aspect ratio fixed ( i.e black bars ), so whatever resolution you are using will look pretty skewered and stretched if you're not using 16:10 resolutions.

I am able to have 120hz at all resolutions possible, the thing the sucks though is that it doesn't keep the aspect ratio fixed ( i.e black bars ), so whatever resolution you are using will look pretty skewered and stretched if you're not using 16:10 resolutions.
set your video driver to gpu fixed aspect scaling.

wait a minute, no 1:1 pixel mapping ? i still need to use lower res for some older games

wait a minute, no 1:1 pixel mapping ? i still need to use lower res for some older games
ATI and Nvidia drivers can be set to 1:1 mapping or fixed-aspect scaling. It's better that way since you bypass the monitor's scaler altogether.

1:1 mapping in the monitor is only necessary if you want to use it with a console.

I received this monitor yesterday. Well i obviously tried to input higher refresh rate than 120. It seems that screens brightness changes with refresh rate. Higher refresh rate = brighter screen.
But anyway great screen. Im happy that i dont have to use that old CRT anymore.

I just pulled the trigger at Tiger Direct, they have them in stock for $352 shipped + 8.25% Live cashback. 30 day refund policy in case I get a dead pixel or I'm not satisfied which you won't get at Newegg. I'll post again when it arrives.

Back