Viewsonic 10.1" Tablet - $249 android 2.2 free ship

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
Just as the title says. Don't know much about this tablet but it seems... normal. However, people are buying ebayed post fire sale Touchpads at around this price...

LINK

Buy.com

Not as good of hardware as touchpad, and no marketplace unless you root it.

Terrible, terrible screen on this... bad enough to render any good points about it moot. Avoid it and pay an extra bit to get a Transformer, or a little less and something like a Dell Streak 7.

I have a G-Tablet and while the screen isn't great, it isn't as bad as some say it is. The viewing angles are not as wide. Hardware-wise, it is not really different than a Xoom or Galaxy Tab (Tegra 2, dual core cpu). Real easy to root, overclock (mine is at 1.6GHz and flies) and throw a Honeycomb ROM on it as well.

I bought one thinking that the screen couldn't be as bad as people say it is. I was wrong. I sold it within a week. Worst screen I ever used on a tablet. Cheap Chinese tablets are better than that thing.

I have one and have used it to read books and comics and youtube for six months. The roms just keep getting better. The screen is "bad" but it is actually quite bright. The problem comes when you rotate the screen or look at it at a 130 degree angle. Who does that? Perhaps if you have six people huddled around it people will complain. In a way its nice that people sitting next to you on a plane don't know what you're watching.

Its a netbook screen. If those are okay for you, this will be too. The resolution is a little lower, at 1024x600 instead of the others at 1280x800. I had some problems with it vertical while having auto brightness. it didn't get bright enough.

It has a fair number of connectors, micro usb and regular usb. I can plug in my mp3 player to it and transfer stuff back and forth, which is handy on trips.

Honeycomb works pretty good on it, and the overclocking mods make it speedy for launching apps. If I remember to shut it off the battery lasts quite a while.

I think its appropriately priced, and while I wanted a touchpad, I don't think selling it and getting a transformer is that much of an upgrade. I'm waiting for the newer ones.

perhaps they use a different screen. However, I've actually been to the markets in Beijing and have seen first hand some crappy tablets. This is no where close to that.

If you rotate the screen to portrait mode, I found it unusable. It was fine as long as you were looking directly at it, but even then colors were distorted when looking from one side to the other compared to the middle.

I'm not saying it's not a good tablet from the pure hardware perspective (it's a Tegra 2 tablet...they are pretty much all the same), but I would gladly pay $50 more for a better screen.

I bought one thinking that the screen couldn't be as bad as people say it is. I was wrong. I sold it within a week. Worst screen I ever used on a tablet. Cheap Chinese tablets are better than that thing.

I did the EXACT same thing... I didn't like the color shift in landscape but portrait was rendered essentially unusable. Thankfully I was able to just outright return mine.

I've owned one (since sold it for a Fujitsu ST5112 Slate PC, never looked back!) and really the ONLY bad part IS the screen.

Pros:
Tegra 2 (though only 512MB RAM vs. 1GB of others)
Awesome custom ROMs (Honeycomb included)
THE BEST BATTERY LIFE!!! Outs iPad 2 and Transformer, I could get 12 hours easily
Solid construction

Cons:
The worst screen of any tablet, even cheaper ones (although e-book use is decent, I read quite a few books on it when I had it)
Crappy HD playback...couldn't even do 720p High Profile...once a HD video was encoded to a format that worked it looked worse than SD (Tegra 2 problem though, don't know if its been fixed)

All the people saying the TouchPad has better hardware are correct except for the CPU (single 1.2ghz TouchPad vs. 1ghz dual core Viewsonic)

I'd say that for $250 its worth checking out for sure...but again, the screen (especially being a Viewsonic product) is pretty bad UNLESS you only use it in Landscape mode looking directly at it straight on...anything other than that and colors wash out hardcore. Only time this doesn't apply is when using in Portrait mode when reading e-books (all white with black text...color shift isn't noticeable).

Just my personal use 2cents!

All the people saying the TouchPad has better hardware are correct except for the CPU (single 1.2ghz TouchPad vs. 1ghz dual core Viewsonic)

TouchPad has a dual-core Snapdragon CPU. Overclocked to 1.5-1.7GHz, it flies like no other.

TouchPad has a dual-core Snapdragon CPU. Overclocked to 1.5-1.7GHz, it flies like no other.

I didn't realize that Snapdragon S3 was a Cortex-A9 chip like Tegra 2. I always thought Snapdragons were A8s. I guess performance would be close. Though Tegra 2 is 40nm vs 45nm for Snapdragon. So maybe Tegra 2 is more efficient.

I didn't realize that Snapdragon S3 was a Cortex-A9 chip like Tegra 2. I always thought Snapdragons were A8s. I guess performance would be close. Though Tegra 2 is 40nm vs 45nm for Snapdragon. So maybe Tegra 2 is more efficient.

I believe it's built off of A8? I know Qualcomm does very heavy customizing on the CPU architectures. Snapdragons do extremely well on the Linpack test because of their floating number performance which has to do with how Qualcomm modified the architecture.

As for this tablet, I tried it at Fry's and it was... eh. The screen was not good. For $250 it's not bad at all but I'd spend another $100 and get the ASUS Transformer.

I believe it's built off of A8? I know Qualcomm does very heavy customizing on the CPU architectures. Snapdragons do extremely well on the Linpack test because of their floating number performance which has to do with how Qualcomm modified the architecture.

As for this tablet, I tried it at Fry's and it was... eh. The screen was not good. For $250 it's not bad at all but I'd spend another $100 and get the ASUS Transformer.

Yeah I thought it was A8 too. I know I've read it before, but when I was looking it up, it said that the third gen snapdragons are A9. Idk, SoCs confuse me.

Back