Videocardz says: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 and ASUS GTX 980 listed

I'm hoping they up their SLI scaling this generation. As soon as you get into tri-SLI with the 700s the benefit steeply drops.

As posted here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041082205

GoldenTiger said:
RUMOR:

Cards in reviewers' hands:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3287030270?pn=1

Forum translated says that he is working on his review now and it is a review sample... device ID begins with 13 from the new drivers for the 970 and lists 1664 cores. 13 SMM's * 128 cores per SMM = 1644, so it adds up.

The new device ID from public drivers matches as well for this 970. The 980 has ones beginning with 16 and 17 which would presumably mean 16 or 17 SMM's * 128 = 2176 or 2048 cores!? Wowza.

This matches the older leaks from coolaler.

Device ID NVIDIA_DEV.17C2 = "NVIDIA Graphics Device" is in drivers as well as one DEV.13C2 which matches this picture. This lends credence to a 17 SMM 980 part.

RiX3dho.png

ufGoVZv.png

XS5OIXT.png

I'm referring to the relative value of the GTX 670 to the 680. The GTX 680 was 25% more expensive then the 670 ($500 vs $400) but the performance gap was much lower than that and actual technical gap (in terms of what was cut) was quite low relative to that price difference.

If you felt the 670 was a bad value then the 680 would be atrocious by comparison. And I guess correspondingly the then price of the 7970 would be indescribably bad? lol...

Oh my bad, gotcha.

Of course 500 bucks is not midrange but you did not even understand anything I said. How many times does it have to be explained that the chip is midrange?

Never mind the chip, it doesn't matter what the chip is, what matters is the price. The chip could have been low end but still priced high. Given the price range of cards, $500 isn't that far from being midrange.

Really wish they would just release something concrete already to give you kids something better to talk about

Y'all are interrupting my faping. nVidia needs to hurry the hell up and show me something I will resist buying.

I would buy the one in the first link, but the one with "new" specs, no way (unless that somehow ends up being 970), we'll see soon enough.

I hope these downgraded specs will turn out to be false, but I am not holding my breath.
If they turn out to be true, least nvidia should do is to lower the price.

Pic of Zotac 970 on TPU. Look how small it is if legit. The cooler shroud is once again over-sized to make it feel larger.

I'm just hoping for an MSI version of the high-end card. That render they supposedly teased looks nice enough.

Interesting. I guess that's a good sign that these are on the way soon, too. I guess I'll keep a close watch on the typical online retailers and I'll be ready for an "emergency" trip to my local Microcenter.

... If the aftermarket doesn't stick huge coolers on them like the 750 Ti.
Well, in the case of the 750 Ti, that problem is easily rectified.

A2h5yEU.jpg

Same mount-points as a 6600 GT, so a lot of classic heatsinks (Like the Zalman VF900, pictured above) mount without a problem :D

Keeps the card cooler and quieter than the POS that EVGA puts on the 750 Ti from the factory, too.

I think that this is the first time where a GTXx70 middle high end series has the same ram as the corresponding high end series GTXx80

I think that this is the first time where a GTXx70 middle high end series has the same ram as the corresponding high end series GTXx80
670/680

Edit: Also just to add strictly speaking the highest end consumer 7xx card was the 780ti and the second highest was the 780, both of which had the same VRAM as well.

470/480 and 570/580 had differing VRAM because of how the chips were cut down, as the x70 part lost both ROPs/memory controlers (bus width) in addition to shaders.

Last edited:
Back