Videocardz says: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 and ASUS GTX 980 listed

I agree with that "680 deja vu" comment up there. x80 is the new x60. 780 / 780Ti / Titan. Hell the 770 was a rebadged 680 from the previous gen. Next up is 980 then refreshed Titan then 980Ti probably.

I feel like holding off on buying until December, and then only buy an EVGA card eligible for the step up program, so in case nVidai decides to release 980 Ti half a year later, I can still upgrade if I stretch that 90 day period long enough. :D

(I'm assuming Sep 19 paper launch, which means 980 Ti paper launch in March 2015)

OC'd 780 ti beats out oc'd 680 sli, as well as stock to stock, in most circumstances. This card should be a bit faster than the 780 ti, consume far less power, and be far more overclockable. And far cheaper. :) as well as having 4gb of ram instead of 2gb on the 770/680 sli he has. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

I have dual 4GB 680's not 2GB 680's. So VRAM wise card for card no different to a 4GB 780Ti.

The only thing shitting me is I think I read somewhere there is a VRAM utilization cap in Windows 7. Don't know if true.

I also game on a 1080p res so not sure there is going to be a definite benefit over 2 4GB 680's, which I can add a 3rd one for cheap if needed. So far no game has been able to stress my computer on maxed settings except for my modded Skyrim installation, which pushes over 4GB of VRAM but yet again the game engine is buggy.

How are they "lowering" their prices? If its $499 for the GM204 980 then its similar to when they launched the previous midrange GK104 680 for $499. If anything they are raking in more money selling these midrange chips for high end prices.

I haven't been following cards since I'm way behind in my Steam catalog, but $500 is now midrange? Holy shit... talk about milking the golden goose dry.

I haven't been following cards since I'm way behind in my Steam catalog, but $500 is now midrange? Holy shit... talk about milking the golden goose dry.

I'm honored to have made it into some random guy's sig in some argument long since forgotten that I had to google to find out what it was even about (it turns out it was referencing google's small UI cleanup for Android which has been smooth sailing for many years now). :p And no, $500 is considered high-end, people are arguing disproven semantics about whether GK110 could have released alongside GK104. Spoiler alert: it couldn't have.

I'm honored to have made it into some random guy's sig in some argument long since forgotten referencing google's small UI cleanup for Android. :p And no, $500 is considered high-end, people are arguing disproven semantics about whether GK110 could have released alongside GK104. Spoiler alert: it couldn't have.

You've made the big time buddy. I'l erase it now since there are other people here that are much more worthy. :D

to me midrange was $100-200 but has moved up to about $130-250

If $500 is now high end, what is $700+? Super high end? I reached the point where whatever I buy better last at least 2 years. Honestly, I have to wonder, what will give me more enjoyment, hours of strippers or a high end card?

If $500 is now high end, what is $700+? Super high end? I reached the point where whatever I buy better last at least 2 years. Honestly, I have to wonder, what will give me more enjoyment, hours of strippers or a high end card?

$700+ is luxury/top-end territory. Think about it, $500 is more than many people, even entry-level gamers, pay for their ENTIRE COMPUTER ;). Sort of like a $10k speaker is luxury vs. a high-end $2k speaker ;) for home theater.

So what is that $3000 Titan-Z then, a bad joke? Or a troll maybe?

Enthusiast level. For those that want the best and have no problem paying every cent for it. Or those that can afford it easily and only to boast about owning the best for the time before it is outdated in the next 6 months. Everything and anything high end or top of the line has it's own niche market/audience.

The problem is Titan-Z isn't the best, not even for a single card solution as it loses out to the R9 295X2 (yes 375W vs 500W, not here to argue that). And nor does it make any financial sense, at least gaming-wise. You can get better performance with 2x Titan Black and pay $1000 less. I don't know anything about compute so won't comment there.

The way I see it Titan-Z is more of status symbol than anything else, basically a "I got the cash to blow you jelly?" kind of hardware.

Last edited:
So what is that $3000 Titan-Z then, a bad joke? Or a troll maybe?

It's aimed at the enthusiast, semi-pro, and ultra-premium, money-is-no-object type of markets..

Same way you can spend $70k on a high-end luxury Lexus, or $375k on a limited production Lexus LFA (or the even higher spec'd LFA Nürburgring edition for $465k - which is still insanely cheaper than an F1 race car).

But the difference is, in those cases you do actually get something different/unique/premium for what you're paying for.

In the case of Titan-Z you are literally paying more for nothing (well, e-peen status as mentioned above I guess).

Time to sell my crossfire ASUS 290X Direct CU II's. This is in addition to all the 780 GTX Ti I had horded from the forums - all sold by the way ;)

But the difference is, in those cases you do actually get something different/unique/premium for what you're paying for.

In the case of Titan-Z you are literally paying more for nothing (well, e-peen status as mentioned above I guess).

You're paying for a 3-slot card that has both GPU's on one, and has double precision GPU compute enabled unlike 780 Ti's for example. It's a prosumer/extreme enthusiast card, whether or not it's a good value ;).

I bet these things will be sold out for a good 2-3 months..... Happened last time with the 680 series considering PC gaming has a bigger following since 2012.

Pricing will be interesting. Nvidia is in business to make money. Great. My budget tops out at $400. I've got 3 moderate gaming rigs. I "need" to upgrade 2 video cards. ;)

If Nvidia prices the 970 (whatever they name it: mid-range of the new family) above $400, I'll pass. It'll need at least 4Gb of vram for me to even buy it. If the 980 is $500 or more, well, that's not my target card. (If it's $400, schwinng!, I'll buy.)

The $250-300 point is more palatable. I can go one card ~$300, the other ~$400. That's my customer perspective. Price and performance, not labels. I have a certain amount of discretionary income. If NVidia prices themselves too high for me, I simply won't buy. Regardless of how they label their card.

I don't care how Nvidia labels their cards. "High end"? Really? How well does it work compared to the 700 series and what is the price penalty for that improvement? (Hoping for some R9 285x or R9 295 goodness at the $300 zone...)

I'm definitely interested in one of these...assuming it isn't a total dud. I think my plan is to Cragislist my 680 to finance some of it and show up at Microcenter on launch morning. That has worked pretty well in the past.

I bet these things will be sold out for a good 2-3 months..... Happened last time with the 680 series considering PC gaming has a bigger following since 2012.

Thats because 28nm at the time was at a shortage from TSMC. Thats the reason no one could find any 7970 and 680's in the begining.

Now that 28nm has been around a year or 2, you should be able to find plenty of 980's. Unless Nvidia is having problems. Which i highly doubt.

and i doubt 780 owners will jump to 980

If anything, 780 would be the ones to sell and move up ... 780Ti / Titan not worth the hassle most likely / owners be ballin' would want 980Ti anyways

and i doubt 780 owners will jump to 980
If anything, 780 would be the ones to sell and move up ... 780Ti / Titan not worth the hassle most likely / owners be ballin' would want 980Ti anyways
Enthusiasts always have to have the latest-and-greatest. Personally, I want to trade my 780s for 980s and get less heat/power consumption. But I'm still of the opinion that this is a stopgap until Pascal is ready.

I heard paper launch was the 9th OR 10th, so don't start a picnic with torches until Thursday :D.

so when is paper launch? I thought it was today...

With all the rumors out there, we've already had a paper launch. Out of the dozens recently I'm sure a few bits from each one is 100% correct. Together we already know the answer, it's all about which combination. :cool:

If I can get a card that is 30% or so faster than my GTX 670 at $300-330 or so I am in. If I have to pay $400+ I don't see many upgrading from their current cards. Unless they have something really slow or have money to burn.

$700+ is luxury/top-end territory. Think about it, $500 is more than many people, even entry-level gamers, pay for their ENTIRE COMPUTER ;). Sort of like a $10k speaker is luxury vs. a high-end $2k speaker ;) for home theater.

I once was a younger whipper snapper and I had such I high hopes:

themancard_39377.jpg

I wouldn't have thought much about dropping $700 on a card. Now I just don't care anymore. I'm done:

man_card.jpg

I'll buy used. I'll buy abused. I won't pay more than $400 again.

I'm happy to wait for big Maxwell and settle for a mid range Maxwell if that means nVidia does a die shrink and really puts the effort in the time since release of 970/980 instead of just sitting on technology like they did with Kepler.

Of course 500 bucks is not midrange but you did not even understand anything I said. How many times does it have to be explained that the chip is midrange?

64 serial text link
128 toys for tots
192 minesweeper
256 mid-range
384/512 punch hole in man card

Pricing will be interesting. Nvidia is in business to make money. Great. My budget tops out at $400. I've got 3 moderate gaming rigs. I "need" to upgrade 2 video cards. ;)

If Nvidia prices the 970 (whatever they name it: mid-range of the new family) above $400, I'll pass. It'll need at least 4Gb of vram for me to even buy it. If the 980 is $500 or more, well, that's not my target card. (If it's $400, schwinng!, I'll buy.)

The $250-300 point is more palatable. I can go one card ~$300, the other ~$400. That's my customer perspective. Price and performance, not labels. I have a certain amount of discretionary income. If NVidia prices themselves too high for me, I simply won't buy. Regardless of how they label their card.

This hasn't really been talked about but if the 970 and 980s is comparable to the current 3dmark numbers and the prices do end up at $400 and $500 I actually would feel the 970 is a bad buy, and definitely not the value the 670 was.

Generally speaking performance/price ratio should go down the higher end you go. If you go by the lowest 980 numbers on the tablet compared to the 970 it'd be a 20% performance increase for only 25% of the cost. Going by the current performance numbers and rumored specs (in terms of how what is cut down) the 970 needs to be closer to $350 if the 980 is $500 like the 4xx/5xx x70 card was as the gap is much larger than the 670 vs 680.

Frankly, I don't give a shit whether it's "midrange" or not.

If the metric for whether it's midrange depends on whether they have bigger chips on the same architecture/node/whatever held back, that's not information we were normally privy to, and beyond the realm of reasonable understanding (I'd posit zealous camping of rumor websites falls a bit outside reasonable). Intel's had a "tick-tock" system where something better was literally around the corner yet it was purely a matter of perception (or, how much you bought into the spin of "tick" vs "tock" replacing your conceptions of "half-baked" or "midrange")

I too wish I could just buy the biggest and baddest once and for all without this tick-tock bullshit but I get that that's not how they play the game, and I'll end up never buying at that rate.

tl;dr Buy what you need when you need it

This hasn't really been talked about but if the 970 and 980s is comparable to the current 3dmark numbers and the prices do end up at $400 and $500 I actually would feel the 970 is a bad buy, and definitely not the value the 670 was.

I wouldn't call the 670 a value to be honest. In fact I think the 660 Ti/670 were the worst priced cards for performance we've seen in awhile.

I wouldn't call the 670 a value to be honest. In fact I think the 660 Ti/670 were the worst priced cards for performance we've seen in awhile.

I'm referring to the relative value of the GTX 670 to the 680. The GTX 680 was 25% more expensive then the 670 ($500 vs $400) but the performance gap was much lower than that and actual technical gap (in terms of what was cut) was quite low relative to that price difference.

If you felt the 670 was a bad value then the 680 would be atrocious by comparison. And I guess correspondingly the then price of the 7970 would be indescribably bad? lol...

Back