VideoCardz: Intel confirms Alder Lake-S to require LGA1700 socket

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Looks like the desktop Socket after LGA1200 is LGA1700. Seems like a big enough change to require bigger coolers:
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-confirms-alder-lake-s-to-require-lga1700-socket

Intel has confirmed its Alder Lake-S series to utilize LGA1700 socket.

Intel 12th Gen Core aka “Alder Lake-S”
The leak actually comes from Intel, so it should rather be considered news. Their development resource website, which is not made public for obvious reasons, can still be used to browse password-protected documents. One of such website lists new information on Alder Lake series.

The new entries include Alder Lake-P, a new series with yet unknown purpose. The most recent P series Intel has released is the Atom server series featuring up to 24 cores, codenamed ‘Snow Ridge’. We are not sure how this is connected to Alder Lake, but it’s worth mentioning that Alder Lake is rumored to feature eight big cores (likely to be Golden Cove architecture) and eight small cores (rumored to be Gracemont core design).

What we know so far about Alder Lake-S

• Alder Lake-S is a successor to Rocket Lake-S.
  • It is now configured to support a new socket (LGA1700).
  • Alder Lake-S is expected to feature big core / small core architecture (similar to ARM’s BigLITTE)
  • The series is rumored to feature Golden Cove/Gracemont cores.
  • The platform will be Intel’s first to support DDR5 memory for desktops.

Lots of rumors coming out the past couple months. I guess it's nice to get an "official" leak.

https://www.techpowerup.com/265604/...r-2020-revealed-alder-lake-and-ice-lake-xeons
https://www.techpowerup.com/266606/...-use-foveros-3d-stacking-and-feature-16-cores
https://www.techpowerup.com/267064/...feature-ddr5-rocket-lake-thermal-specs-leaked
https://www.techpowerup.com/268096/...lake-and-tremont-feature-cldemote-instruction

I'm more interested in learning what Intel's "big/small core" architecture is like and what that means for high power desktops.

rumors are Rocket Lake (14nm)---> Alder Lake (10nm)---> Meteor Lake (7nm)

Right, this confirms that folks buying into the current 1200 are buying a dead platform. The number of cores if actually going back down to 8 for Rocket Lake, so it's just going to be treading water for Intel.

Getting two generation out of a MB is about as far as Intel ever goes, so getting Comet and Rocket Lake is a Win. :D

Also Rocket lake has potential. New core design, larger caches. These cores are potentially faster than Comet Lake. I would definitely prefer 8 (or even 6) faster cores over 10+ slower ones when I don't need higher numbers.

Getting two generation out of a MB is about as far as Intel ever goes, so getting Comet and Rocket Lake is a Win. :D

Also Rocket lake has potential. New core design, larger caches. These cores are potentially faster than Comet Lake. I would definitely prefer 8 (or even 6) faster cores over 10+ slower ones when I don't need higher numbers.

And the Hype-Train has officially left the station. You do realize that Zen 3 will be out before Rocket Lake, right?,

And the Hype-Train has officially left the station. You do realize that Zen 3 will be out before Rocket Lake, right?,

Yep, and that is a dead end platform at that time. Was good up till then, but dead with Zen 3.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Right, this confirms that folks buying into the current 1200 are buying a dead platform. The number of cores if actually going back down to 8 for Rocket Lake, so it's just going to be treading water for Intel.

If 8 cores is going to be the high end, I hope they don't resort to i9 pricing for it.

Yep, and that is a dead end platform at that time. Was good up till then, but dead with Zen 3.

And, well, you can look forward to more than two releases on AM5. Try doing that for Alder Lake :rolleyes:

Just because both platforms end up DOA at the same time doesn't mean one is suddenly the same as the other.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I would definitely prefer 8 (or even 6) faster cores over 10+ slower ones when I don't need higher numbers.
What about 4 faster cores and 4 "power efficient" cores? Effectively marketed as an "Octacore" because that's how marketing works.

big.LITTLE is going to confuse the everlasting fuck out of the average consumer. Joe Schmoe is going to see "octacore" as simply 8 cores, when in reality, it's a two-by-four, i.e. 4 slow ass cores and 4 normal cores.

at least Rocket Lake is rumored to have PCIe 4 support...but yeah Zen 3 is going to crush Intel yet again...Intel's only hope is 5nm and that's in 2023 at the earliest...why anyone would choose Intel for a new system build now is beyond me...even the gaming benchmarks show such a small margin of victory for Intel that it's pretty much worthless...I've been Intel for years but with my new build I'm going with AMD

And, well, you can look forward to more than two releases on AM5. Try doing that for Alder Lake :rolleyes:

Just because both platforms end up DOA at the same time doesn't mean one is suddenly the same as the other.

Has AMD released anything about AM5 yet, or it that wishful thinking? I really don't know.

Both platforms are DOA at this time and the reasons one shouldn't buy either are the same. No need to be a hypocrite now.

Has AMD released anything about AM5 yet, or it that wishful thinking? I really don't know.

Both platforms are DOA at this time and the reasons one shouldn't buy either are the same. No need to be a hypocrite now.

I'd think 2022 at the earliest for DDR5 for both Intel and AMD.

I don't think "DOA" is really the right term because you are talking about socket compatibility beyond what is currently available. Just because you have an idea of the time frame of obsolescence doesn't mean the socket is DOA. LGA1151v2 is dead. AM4 on B350/X370 is very likely dead. Pretty much everything newer still has a future release forthcoming.

This is the best rumors I could find:

https://ownsnap.com/amd-zen-4-ryzen...acked-architecture-according-to-strong-leaks/

kirbyrj

DDR5 is required for AM5, or else, AMD could continue to use AM4. It's not like they're limited by 24 PCIE 4.0 lanes of I/O.

I think they've already announced DDR5 DIMMS earlier in the year:

https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/01/06/micron-samples-faster-dram-with-ddr5-dimms/

Should be ready by Summer fo next year for mass production.

Last edited:
This is the best rumors I could find:

https://ownsnap.com/amd-zen-4-ryzen...acked-architecture-according-to-strong-leaks/

kirbyrj

DDR5 is required, or else, AMD could continue to use AM4. It's not like they're limited by 24 PCIE 4.0 lanes of I/O.

Yeah, the Zen3 chips are essentially the last hurrah for AM4 and then Zen4 on AM5 with DDR5. LGA1200 is the EOL for DDR4 for Intel and LGA1700 will have DDR5.

I'm saying that Zen3 hasn't launched yet and neither has Rocket Lake. So it isn't accurate to say current sockets are DOA as they still have future processors forthcoming and should be current for at least the next year and a half to two years give or take.

I said Rocket Lake has potential not that it will be the best thing ever.

I am very interested in seeing both Rocket Lake and Zen 3.

In either case I have no interest at all in something with more than 8 cores.

Joe Average consumer doesn’t need more than 6 cores with SMT. 8 cores is “high end” enough for Joe Average at the moment.

If it wasn’t, sales of the 3600x and 9700k wouldn’t have been what they are/were

This gives me hope over the longevity of my 9900k.

Unless something fundamentally changes in that time, the processor and board should be fine for the next 5 years

Good thing I didnt buy that Z490 board this week. outdated for Rocket Llake

Last edited:
What about 4 faster cores and 4 "power efficient" cores? Effectively marketed as an "Octacore" because that's how marketing works.

big.LITTLE is going to confuse the everlasting fuck out of the average consumer. Joe Schmoe is going to see "octacore" as simply 8 cores, when in reality, it's a two-by-four, i.e. 4 slow ass cores and 4 normal cores.
The average person doesn't care about that. They take the word of the uniformed sales person at the big box stores and go home ignorantly happy.

Yeah if you pick up a expensive cooler 99.00 Noctua U12A to cool that new chip it's going to be outdated for next gen Intel Chips.
So you have to wait around for the next gen coolers which could take months to come out like when Threadripper hit.

The difference is 470 and 450 boards WILL still get zen 3 even if it is a few months after launch. Nothing from Intel has ever offered anything close to that life span.

No they have not announced AM5... more then likely AM4 sticks around for a Zen3+. Buying a 570 or 550 board right now is good for what AMD is currently selling, what they are going to sell next year and most likely the + varient that comes out either end of 21 or early 22. Intels chips at that time are clearly not going to be dropping in what is on sale right now.

After Zen 3+ no one will be shocked to see a new socket AM5 would be logical perhaps the AMD folk will give it a new cringy marketing name. Either way x570 has been around for a year already... and will have AMD drop in comparability for it looks 3-4 years. Intel typically doesn't offer you half that socket life cycle even if you buy on the day they launch a new one.

Yeah if you pick up a expensive cooler 99.00 Noctua U12A to cool that new chip it's going to be outdated for next gen Intel Chips.
So you have to wait around for the next gen coolers which could take months to come out like when Threadripper hit.

What does it matter... Intel doesn't think you should be judging by benchmarks anyway. Its all about the lifestyle experience now.
That marketing shift makes a lot more sense if there going to start releasing 16 core chips that benchmark like thermal crippled 8 cores.
I am excited to see what their 3D stacking tech can do... but I'm not convinced yet that it won't be a thermal nightmare trying to cool any chip with cores stacked vertically, even if the bottom cores are low powered.

LGA1700 should be supportable by new mounting kits for existing coolers. Even Threadrippers socket got new supporting kits and that is much bigger than any other consumer socket.

So basically Intel can't design a scalable enough architecture, so they add some crappy Atom cores instead in order to reach the desired core count. Everyone who ever owned a device with an Atom CPU knows that they are basically a crime against humanity.

Back