Videocard for HTPC

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
I plan on using my server as an HTPC as well, I'll be using XBMC on top of WHS2011, I'll also throw a Blu-Ray drive in there for 3D Blu-rays.

Which card should I be using for this setup? AMD? NV? does it matter? will this work?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=038372

CPU is a pentium G620
Status Launched
Launch Date Q2'11
Expected Discontinuance Q3'2013
Processor Number G620
# of Cores 2
# of Threads 2
Clock Speed 2.6 GHz
Intel® Smart Cache 3 MB
Bus/Core Ratio 26
DMI 5 GT/s
Instruction Set 64-bit
Instruction Set Extensions SSE4.1/4.2
Embedded Options Available No
Lithography 32 nm

I've used both nvidia and ati it comes down to preference. I say just go with the best card that fits your budget. As long as you don't plan on doing any gaming you don't need anything super expensive or powerful.

Just so you know atm the XBMC doesn't currently support blu ray playback natively. Which means you don't get the menus and stuff like that.

If you rip the disc it will work fine. I also think you can set it up where it will play just the movie off the disc. That may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

I've used both nvidia and ati it comes down to preference. I say just go with the best card that fits your budget. As long as you don't plan on doing any gaming you don't need anything super expensive or powerful.

Just so you know atm the XBMC doesn't currently support blu ray playback natively. Which means you don't get the menus and stuff like that.

If you rip the disc it will work fine. I also think you can set it up where it will play just the movie off the disc. That may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

Not a big deal for me :) Thanks

so for 3D BR support, both AMD and NV are fine?

my advice would be to split these into separate boxes (server + client). You don't want a bunch of spinning drives and fans in your living room.

I would recommend using XBMCbuntu for that appliance-like operation and use WHS or whatever you're comfortable with for the server.

my advice would be to split these into separate boxes (server + client). You don't want a bunch of spinning drives and fans in your living room.

I would recommend using XBMCbuntu for that appliance-like operation and use WHS or whatever you're comfortable with for the server.

Thanks for the advice, but the pc will be hidden away behind a wall, so i'm not worried about noise, I'll use an RF / IR extender to control it and a bt kb and mouse. Plus, that would greatly reduce my cost since i already have the whs box.

I have that CPU in my main HTPC too. I was using the built in Intel HD for a while fine; even playing Blu-ray (not sure about 3D). I noticed black clipping though that you couldn't adjust via the drivers. I got a GTX 650 so I could game some, problem solved :)

Point being - try the IGP first - maybe the clipping was due to my TV set - or maybe the drivers have improved. If not, I prefer Nvidia. The GT 430 is the lowest priced card to do what you want and with bit streaming audio. Newer low-end cards are more expensive, but might be better on power consumption.

I have that CPU in my main HTPC too. I was using the built in Intel HD for a while fine; even playing Blu-ray (not sure about 3D). I noticed black clipping though that you couldn't adjust via the drivers. I got a GTX 650 so I could game some, problem solved :)

Point being - try the IGP first - maybe the clipping was due to my TV set - or maybe the drivers have improved. If not, I prefer Nvidia. The GT 430 is the lowest priced card to do what you want and with bit streaming audio. Newer low-end cards are more expensive, but might be better on power consumption.

does the IGP support DTS-MA / Dolby HD over hdmi?

doesn't do 3d
Processor Graphics Intel® HD Graphics
Graphics Base Frequency 850 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.1 GHz
Intel® Quick Sync Video No
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology No
Intel® Insider™ No
Intel® Wireless Display No
Intel® Flexible Display Interface (Intel® FDI) Yes
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology No
Dual Display Capable Yes
# of Displays Supported 2

Last edited:
I recommend Nvidia. I have experienced issues with HDMI handshake on an ATI card I had and I felt the control panel was not as effective as Nvidias to giving you the control you need. I got a GT 610 and its been nothing short of excellent.

I also recommend Nvidia because WMC(as well as most software players) if you choose to use it one day supports Purevideo which helps to move the decoding of x264 and bluray from the cpu to the gpu.

AMD has had issues with HDMI handshake before and currently on their WHQL drivers I couldn't get audio over HDMI. I went to the 13.2 beta 7's and it works now though, previously you had to disable ULPS.

I've got a 5750 with audio going from DP>hdmi cable. Works perfect. DOes not compensate for poor CPU n gaming though. (i only paid $50 for the 5750, so it did what was needed without going to far in)

NEVER had issues with HDMI handshake using a 4870, 5470, or a 7650... If you are having troubles, you want to MAKE SURE that your audio and video equipment support HDMI daisy chaining aka pass through (a lot of stuff does not support it well). Also want to make sure that all of your stuff is using the same standard if you can.

I might have to try an AMD card if this doesn't work out =p. I fired off an email to Gigabyte as well.

if they don't respond within the next week or so, I'm gonna play it safe, return it and grab a 6450 instead.

Last edited:
i would def go AMD because they can bitstream HD audio codecs directly into a receiver, i dont think GTX can do that

i would def go AMD because they can bitstream HD audio codecs directly into a receiver, i dont think GTX can do that

Anything 400 series and up can bitstream HD audio for nvidia. For AMD anything 5000 series and up will bitstream HD audio.

Anything 400 series and up can bitstream HD audio for nvidia. For AMD anything 5000 series and up will bitstream HD audio.
To further clarify things...

AMD RADEON HD 5xxx/6xxx series
Intel HD2000/HD3000 (these are Intel`s SandyBRidge - socket 1155 integrated graphics)
nVIDIA GeForce GT(S/X) 4xx/5xx except 465/470/480/570/580/590
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=180055

The information is a bit outdated so things could have changed since then but you get the idea...

I am confident the current generation of Nvidia and Radeons GPUs support it as well.

Dont forget that if your server mobo has HDMI, a simple processor upgrade can get you onboard graphics capable of what you want... May be a slightly more expensive solution, but it is one less thing to go wrong, and if you plan on ripping movies while doing anything else with the server, you'll need the increased horsepower.

Back