Video thumbnails causes explorer crash.

Jimkirk363

n00b
Every now and then when viewing video thumbnails in explorer it causes explorer to crash out.

I have attempted to upgraded codecs and also video drivers but this has yet to solve my problem and i cannot for the life of me think what else could be causing the issue.

I know its not a corrupt video file as after it crashes the files can then be viewed fine and it can happen for any video file at any time.

Anyone have an idea what i can try?
Thanks.

I know this may sound like a bit of a daft question, what exactly am i looking for using that program u suggested?

I intend to do a full reinstall when Windows 11 is released, until then i just wish to try and patch the problem.
You have to compare a working system with shellexview to your current system so you see if you have a third party extension hooking up to the thumbnail preview process. I can't help with details, would take too much of my time and quite frankly, I don't want to open Windows.

Can you uninstall the codec pack? The problem is caused in 99% cases by codec packs.
I haven't had to install or use them since Windows XP, and back then it also made explorer die quite often.
Is there a particular reason you need them? Some odd format or something?

If you uninstall the codecs, Windows won't try to use them to show a thumbnail and all should be well.

Back