Video Stuttering

FighterAce124

Supreme [H]ardness
So.... I play games on one monitor, and video on a second monitor.

It was fine before, its always been fine since I started doing it in the early 00's on Win XP. Never had an issue playing a game on one monitor and video on the second at the same time.

I reformatted my PC a week or so ago, and now when I have a game (any game) focused, the video playback on second monitor stutters, audio will drop, etc. As soon as I click out of the game (even if its still open and displaying on the other screen), the video fixes itself and will play fine. It does this when the game is full screen or windowed, and from ancient games like Close Combat to games like Star Citizen.

I have the latest nVidia drivers, I have all updated drivers for my system, Windows is up to date, I dont have a firewall or AV software installed. Nothing has changed other than reformatting the PC. It does the stuttering in all three media players I have tried - VLC, MPC HC, MPC BE, and in browsers as well.

I disabled hardware accel, and it still does it.

It even does it when I enable and play video on the Intel graphics in the system with games on my GTX 1060. It does it no matter which of my hard drives I play the files off of, and it does it with all files and formats.

DirectX is fully up to date, power settings are set to maximum performance, CPU is not maxed out. I just cant figure this one out. Please help me :(

I5 4690K @ 3.5 and 4.4GHz (No difference if overclocked or not)
16GB DDR3
GTX 1060 6GB

...... so I fixed it. Two of my monitors were at 59.950 hz refresh, the third was at 60.000. I changed the 60 to be 59.950..... and it seems to be all better. I couldnt get the 59.950 ones to go to 60 for some reason, so this was the solution lol....

Last edited:
Just an update - No, that didnt fix it. It was better for a few minutes, but started doing it again no matter what I did. I spent probably another 3-4 hours today working on it, and decided -

The only difference between this format and the last one was that I used a new ISO direct from Microsoft instead of my older one (Also from MS, but from ~2016). I decided to bite the bullet and reformat using my old ISO instead - And the issue is 100% resolved. There was either an issue in the install of that other one, an update that it had built in, or some other issue related to the different ISO file used to install the base OS. I am currently fully updated and all things back as they were before, and have absolutely no issues.

It wasnt vsync, refresh rate, drivers, missing software (I installed literally everything I could think of), the media player(s), the browser(s), the cables, the monitors, the power, the peripherals, the seating of any hardware, the settings on the monitors themselves, overclocks, using both discrete and onboard GPU, additional hard drives, the PCI-E card I use to hook up storage HDDs, literally every other thing I could think of.

All of those things above, I tried changing. And probably two dozen other things as well. For some reason, on that install of Windows, having two monitors of any type (Tried 4 in different combos, two of which are the same model), conncted with any type of cable from VGA to DVI to HDMI to DP, at any resolution, would lag when a 3d app was focused and ANYTHING else was on the second monitor. At the end I found it was even scrolling things if I say had WoW in windowed fullscreen and moused over discord to scroll the list of people, it would lag doing that as well.

Reformatted using my trusty ISO Ive had since ~2016 and always used before, and updated to fully updated from Windows Update, and not a single issue. There was either a fault with the install before that ONLY affected multi monitor, or there was something in the latest ISO from MS that that isnt on a normal Windows Update download.

I only tried to troubleshoot so much because I really didnt feel like doing another format, but in the end, I should have done it after the first hour of troubleshooting and saved myself a headache lol

Back