Video Streaming on Game Consoles on the Rise

Yeah, I watch a lot of live streams, it's actually enjoyable from time to time.

Since nobody goes over to someone's house anymore to watch them play a game, this is the new way of having that experience.

I do watch a lot of stream... not on consoles though, unless you count my pc as a console.

Yeah, I watch a lot of live streams, it's actually enjoyable from time to time.

Since nobody goes over to someone's house anymore to watch them play a game, this is the new way of having that experience.

I think they meant more like using the console as a client for something like netflix streaming service.

This goes without saying considering the number of streaming services that have been released for consoles... It should increase even more for 2012 with all the new streaming stuff released in the most recent XBOX update.

Yay, someone can make a pretty chart to state the obvious. Congratulations...:eek:

Well, game consoles are also good for installing Linux. Given that you can get around the legal loop holes and security barriers placed in those god forsaken things.

I do almost all my streaming on my Xbox because my PC is too busy playing games.

I am just completely baffled that the Wii has the highest percentage..Granted streaming video isn't great quality but yeesh that thing is especially terrible.

I bought my playstation 3 way back when specifically because it had a blueray player. Since then I used it a LOT for netflix. I played maybe 2 or 3 games on it.

I've since bought a blueray player with internet capability so I use that now since the PS3 has such a loud fan. So now my PS3 almost never gets turned on.

I am just completely baffled that the Wii has the highest percentage..Granted streaming video isn't great quality but yeesh that thing is especially terrible.

The Wii is amazing for netflix, that is unless you care about hi-def, which I would guess 70% of the world does not. I don't for the most part and love using the Wii especially for its very awesome control layout for Netflix.

Honestly I may get 1-2 hours of play time on my consoles a week and probably 8 - 10 hours of video streaming, mostly on the Wii then the Xbox next, theres just not a whole lot out there thats good for HD.

I find it more amusing that a larger percentage of xbox owners play online compared to playstation owners

Can't watch "HD" streams of favirote films... The quality still isn't there, and it's usually 720p at best, and pretty low quality 720p with artifacts and general crappyness. Until they can raise the bar considerably Blu ray >>>>>> 720p/"1080p" shitty stream :D

Yeah count me in that trend for 2011 but Netflix streaming sucked in quality and selection at least through the 360, and after all the bullshit their CEO pulled this summer I canceled the streaming end of it. Still pissed at them:mad:

Can't watch "HD" streams of favirote films... The quality still isn't there, and it's usually 720p at best, and pretty low quality 720p with artifacts and general crappyness. Until they can raise the bar considerably Blu ray >>>>>> 720p/"1080p" shitty stream :D

Well thats a fairly inaccurate statement. It varies from source to source. Many of the HD streams on Netflix are plenty good even on my 55". Some of them are terrible but they aren't typically listed as HD quality. Overall the video quality is rather good for $8/mo. I have yet to run out of content, but that's because I don't use or see Netflix as the place to go for the newest content. It is but one supplemental way to get some content and it gives more than $8/mo worth. It also depends on what you watch. I watch a lot of shows about nature, documentaries, and the occasional movie. We may watch 8-10 shows a month. At a buck a pop or less without ever raising up off the couch I would say that's a great value.

At what exactly???

there is a long list and you know it.....for the money and time invested, you simply cannot beat the value of todays console. it doesn't matter what else is available, prettier graphics and all that nonsense...you cannot spend $400 and get 1080p gaming on the couch with friends with wireless controllers with good graphics, AAA titles, and all the benefits of Live service and Kinect in a PC, it just ain't happening

I don't agree. You can build a better PC for about that much money. Consoles are so outdated its not hard.

Personally, I've had my PS3 for about 3 years. I have played only about 3 hours of games on it (because gaming sucks with a controller) and about 400 hours of blu-ray and about 5 hours of streaming.

Now that mine is officially a piece of junk (overheats within 1 minute of playing anything), I think the next thing I do will be getting a regular blu ray player with streaming apps and ditching the console.

100% agree!

I watch HD movies from the XBOX marketplace all the time. I use that more than TW On Demand service.

I still use my PS3 quite a bit for gaming since it has so many damn good exclusives, as well as using it for netflix, though not nearly as much as gaming

my Xbox has been collecting dust for over two years, useless console is useless

wii gets turned on periodically, for donkey kong mainly

PC gets used every day guaranteed

You can get a new Wii for as little as $129, and your kids can play games & stream Netflix.
Cheap solution for that old 2nd TV you have sitting around.

Back