Video problem on Linux?

Iconz

Gawd
Linux noob.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on with trying to get linux running on my rig. I tried installing both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 64-bit (and 32 bit for Ubuntu) and it always freezes in the installation as soon as it tries to load the graphical interface. The box that appears has choppy lines and multiple colors, etc. I never actually got into an installation menu with either distribution.

I then went to openSUSE 10.2 (64bit) and everything installs fine. The OS runs fine, internet good, etc. However, the most color depth that it will let me have is 16-bit, and my monitor is not supported either. I updated the nvidia drivers with YaST Online Update, and that went fine, but it did not fix the problem. I get very choppy/slow scrolling in any window I open, including Firefox. The same type of problem you would get in windows if you were using a generic video driver. Also, there was no 3D support, apparently because it was running "Framebuffer" and wouldn't allow for changes to color depth. That was frustrating enough, so I decided to try yet another distro.

Finally, I installed Mandriva Free (64-bit) this morning. This was the best installation, my monitor was supported, etc. However, after completing the install, when it tries to load X windows, everything freezes again and I get the wierd lines and artifacting again. Just like trying to install Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

I need help. Any suggestions? Everything is with the rig in my signature. As of this minute, I have Mandriva installed but I can't get into it because it freezes. Please help.

OK - well 1st thing is 1st. What GPU are you having the problems on? Is this the nVidia card in your sig?

Try Debian or Fedora Core 6?

Its an eVGA 7800 GT. Everything is in my signature, and I'm not overclocking anything.

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't use Ubuntu but I suggest you give Debian or Fedora 6 a shot. Ubuntu is based from Debian so if the Ubuntu installer does not like your hardware - perhaps Debian will suit you better. Fedora is a very easy distro that has amazing hardware recognition.

I don't think the problem is distro... you have a fairly new GFX card from a firm that provide pretty good drivers.
I have a 7900GT and I can load a liveCD using the generic nv driver (or even vesa drivers) fine, once I get the nvidia drivers installs everything is alot smoother, but things still work up upntil then

some logs are really needed, something is failing and it is causing the GFX to stop.

Back