Video Playback Problem (lag?)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by YelloFelloJP, Aug 5, 2004.

1. YelloFelloJP

YelloFelloJP [H]Lite

i'm having this problem when i play video files on my computer, where the picture will occasionally freeze for a moment, or lag during playback while the audio continues uninterrupted. I don't know if i'm explaining my problem clearly. i know it's not a problem with a particular piece of software, because this happens on any program i use, be it WMP, WinAMP, or whatever else. I don't think it's my codecs either because i always keep them up to date and pretty organized.

i have four 80gb hdd's in my box right now, one for the os and program files, one for backup, and two set up in a JBOD where all my media is located. could the JBOD affect media playback? i use DIRMs almost on a weekly basis to defrag all four hdd's so i don't think its a fragmentation problem either.

anybody know what's going on here?

hmm, on second thought maybe i should have posted this in general hardware...

2. CrimandEvil

CrimandEvil Dick with a heart of gold

3. YelloFelloJP

YelloFelloJP [H]Lite

i'm thinking that it isnt the codecs because the picture will freeze even on mpeg1 and mpeg2 encoded files, which windows has native support for.

when i say the video lags or freezes for a second, what i mean is that the video will play totally normally, and then suddenly a frame will freeze for a couple seconds while the audio continues normally, and then the video will instantly sync to where the audio is playing, so it's not a problem with the audio and video timings. there's no distortion or anything like that.

4. CrimandEvil

CrimandEvil Dick with a heart of gold

I can't play Mpeg files without a codecs, just uninstall and install the codec that I linked too then say if the issues is cleared up of not. :rolleyes:

5. YelloFelloJP

YelloFelloJP [H]Lite

sorry, i appreciate your suggestion, but i'd rather not mess around with my codecs now.

I used to use ffdshow along with a bunch of other codecs a while back, but recently i reformatted and only installed the bare minimum codecs i need (basically just DivX and XivD varients). I thought that reformatting and reinstalling Windows (xp pro) and codecs would solve the problem, but it didnt. i should have stated this in my first post.

so codecs aside, could there possibly be any other reason for this strange behavior?
    i should also note that it happens much more frequently when the file's size is larger (600mb+).

here's my setup, incase it matters:
    ABIT IT7 Max
    P4 2.53
    1gb Corsair XMS DDR (pc3000)
    Audigy Platinum
    GeForce 4 ti4600
    WD800JB x4
    2 in a JBOD on onboard RAID controller
    (nothing overclocked)