Video Playback Problem (lag?)

YelloFelloJP

Weaksauce
i'm having this problem when i play video files on my computer, where the picture will occasionally freeze for a moment, or lag during playback while the audio continues uninterrupted. I don't know if i'm explaining my problem clearly. i know it's not a problem with a particular piece of software, because this happens on any program i use, be it WMP, WinAMP, or whatever else. I don't think it's my codecs either because i always keep them up to date and pretty organized.

i have four 80gb hdd's in my box right now, one for the os and program files, one for backup, and two set up in a JBOD where all my media is located. could the JBOD affect media playback? i use DIRMs almost on a weekly basis to defrag all four hdd's so i don't think its a fragmentation problem either.

anybody know what's going on here?

hmm, on second thought maybe i should have posted this in general hardware...

i'm thinking that it isnt the codecs because the picture will freeze even on mpeg1 and mpeg2 encoded files, which windows has native support for.

when i say the video lags or freezes for a second, what i mean is that the video will play totally normally, and then suddenly a frame will freeze for a couple seconds while the audio continues normally, and then the video will instantly sync to where the audio is playing, so it's not a problem with the audio and video timings. there's no distortion or anything like that.

I can't play Mpeg files without a codecs, just uninstall and install the codec that I linked too then say if the issues is cleared up of not. :rolleyes:

sorry, i appreciate your suggestion, but i'd rather not mess around with my codecs now.

I used to use ffdshow along with a bunch of other codecs a while back, but recently i reformatted and only installed the bare minimum codecs i need (basically just DivX and XivD varients). I thought that reformatting and reinstalling Windows (xp pro) and codecs would solve the problem, but it didnt. i should have stated this in my first post.

so codecs aside, could there possibly be any other reason for this strange behavior?
i should also note that it happens much more frequently when the file's size is larger (600mb+).

here's my setup, incase it matters:
ABIT IT7 Max
P4 2.53
1gb Corsair XMS DDR (pc3000)
Audigy Platinum
GeForce 4 ti4600
WD800JB x4
2 in a JBOD on onboard RAID controller
(nothing overclocked)

Back