Video Lock Up w/ XP 2500 OC

jaboo

Weaksauce
I was excited yesterday that I got my new XP 2500 to go all the way to 2.13 (11x194) versus 1.83 stock. I ran Prime95 for 8 hours and it ran like dream with temps as high as 42C. But, when I went to run 3Dmark2001SE, it freakin locked up within the first 2 minutes :eek: So, I rebooted and tried playing a round of Unreal 2003 and it freakin locked up too.

This is my current set up

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Version 1.04
Bios 1007
1 GB (2 x 512) PC 2700 RAM Samsung Cas 2.5
XP 2500 Barton 333
PNY GF4 Ti 4200 OC 315/544
HD, CD Burner, and the rest

I tried setting the AGP to 66 mhz, but still the same porblem. And from what I have read, it is btter just to leave it at auto because the board already locks AGP and PCI to 66/33. It runs all of the sisandra benchmarks and stress tests without an issue. And, my temps don't seem high. Any suggestions would be appreciated from first time OC foooooooo.

Thanks!

what are your temps?
Also check the memory timings - make them a bit higher and see if stability returns. (o/c can sometimes stress the memory & cause lockups)
ok lower the agp bus speed (say to 65/64 mhz) and see if that helps (someitmes being "locked" pci/agp - means locked with in a certain percentage - on some boards if you have an o/c the agp/pci bus will claimed to be locked but will actually be out of spec by 1-5 mhz.) So lower the pci bus a mhz or two also - ( as it could be the sound card if it is an addon)
perhaps look at the voltage to your cpu - is it the standard 1.65? if so add a very small amount to it and see if stability returns. BE CAREFUL as giving overvoltage can fry the cpu - go very slow in raising it.

Thanks,

I will give it a shot. My temps under full load are 43C. Idle about 38 to 40C based on room temp. And, yes the standard volt for Barton XP 2500 is 1.65. i will go up a little and see what happens.

also try and run your vid card stock to
i see your's is oced
give it a try

Well,

I tried running vid card at stock and it still locks up after a couple of minutes in 3dMark (FSB194). Also, I tried bringing down the AGP below 66, and pumped the voltage up to 1.75. And, it still locks up. It seems that the most stable FSB w/out lockups is 182. Not much of an OC :( . Funny thing is that it runs through Prime95 (did a four hour test last night and an hour one this morning at 194 FSB w/ out any probs.)

Guess I will just be at 182 FSB. I think that makes it around XP2800. Still, it way faster even at stock than the stock XP 2100 FSB266 that took it's place. Thanks everyone. If anybody can think of anything else, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Originally posted by jaboo
Funny thing is that it runs through Prime95 (did a four hour test last night and an hour one this morning at 194 FSB w/ out any probs
I could be wrong, but i think prime95 is rather limited in it's scope.

it taxes the CPU, but not much else ... 3Dmark and unreal tourney tax the whole system.

by the stuff your saying, it seems like its not the CPU that's the problem, its the vid card,memory or mobo that's causing the lockup.

you might try increasing the voltage to your memory ... my memory luvs when i increase the voltage to 1.77

I could be wrong, but i think prime95 is rather limited in it's scope. It taxes the CPU, but not much else

Depends on what you set it at. If you put it at "Blend" on the torture test, it will test all of your memory as well as the cpu. It's very good at checking stability.

Back