Video lag - Getting worse and worse

Vorret

[H]ard|Gawd
Good morning,

I have a 6950 that I've been using for maybe a year and a half it was working fine but recently it started lagging, I first noticed it when I reinstalled D3 and I had to lower ALOT of settings to minimum. I'm playing on 1900x1200 so nothing crazy there.

Anyways, it was still playable so I thought it was only D3 that took more power than I remembered... until I went back to WoW last week and oh, my god, raid boss I could do before that didn't pose any problem completely killed my FPS and I'm running everything at LOW settings except particule and ground clutter so I don't stand in fire.

It's also making ALOT of noise, the fans are running full speed as soon as I start gaming.

Is it simply dying? I checked and it's clean, no dust on the fans , my drivers are updated... not sure what to do at this point...

I don't know if this will work on your card, but open up GPU-Z and right click the title bar and select Read ASIC quality. Tell us what it says.

Re-installing windows tends to fix a lot of issues, that might be worth a try, certainly try this before buying a new card.

Will try tonight when I get home.
My GPU is the "newest" part of my computer right now so I had hoped to keep it a bit longer :p

My Windows (w7 64bit) installation is on an SSD and it's barely a few months old, worth the try though.

Whats your temps like? the fact that the fans are spinning upto full speed shoudl be a red flag that the temps are going higher than they shoudl be and your performance problems is probably a thermal throttling or even a power throttling issue.

figure out if you have a temp problem or a power problem and work down from there...

Check the card for dust. Perhaps it's clogged with dust which is causing the temperature to rise and the card to throttle which would affect the performance. I know from experience that graphics cards that have been running for a few years can get clogged with dust, especially cards with a blower style cooler. Take some compressed air and clean it all out. Since the card is old and probably out of warranty, you could try taking off the shroud to help clear the dust or even removing the cooler completely and reapplying new thermal paste. Let us know how it goes, good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Will check the temp and bring a can of air from work just to be sure.

Hopefully it's an easy fix like that :)

Back