Video Games help those with ADD

Torgo

2[H]4U
To the chagrin of our new games moderator :p, new research shows that ADD can be helped by video games. Link to News.com.com.com.com Using a modified version of Burnout, these researchers are able to help kids cope with inattention.

This is a great article to use against the Jack Thompsons of the world. Video games helping people? Who'da thunk it?

Oh, and Child's Play 2005 just kicked off as well. There's your dose of warm fuzzies provided by video games.

Rich, you're doing a fine job. Why just the other day I was telling Kyle... oh, look! String!

It's not video gaming per se, it's biofeedback.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15723361&query_hl=24

Neurofeedback in adolescents and adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Butnik SM.

ADDVANTAGE, PLLC, Richmond, VA 23226, USA. [email protected]

Neurofeedback is being utilized more commonly today in treating individuals who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Neurofeedback, which is based on theories that recognize the organic basis of ADHD, utilizes biofeedback to guide individuals to regulate their brain activity. Neurofeedback relies on research that has demonstrated that most individuals who have ADHD, as compared to matched peers, have excess slow wave activity and reduced fast wave activity. It provides immediate feedback to the individual about his or her brain wave activity in the form of a video game, whose action is influenced by the individual's meeting predetermined thresholds of brain activity. Over several sessions of using the video and auditory feedback, individuals reduce their slow wave activity and/or increase their fast wave activity. Individuals who complete a course of training sessions often show reduced primary ADHD symptoms. Research has shown that neurofeedback outcomes compare favorably to those of stimulant medication. Copyright 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc

The above is a rather biased study, but then so many of them are.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16013783&query_hl=29

Electroencephalographic biofeedback in the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

Monastra VJ, Lynn S, Linden M, Lubar JF, Gruzelier J, LaVaque TJ.

FPI Attention Disorders Clinic, Endicott, New York 13760, USA. [email protected]

Historically, pharmacological treatments for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have been considered to be the only type of interventions effective for reducing the core symptoms of this condition. However, during the past three decades, a series of case and controlled group studies examining the effects of EEG biofeedback have reported improved attention and behavioral control, increased cortical activation on quantitative electroencephalographic examination, and gains on tests of intelligence and academic achievement in response to this type of treatment. This review paper critically examines the empirical evidence, applying the efficacy guidelines jointly established by the Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (AAPB) and the International Society for Neuronal Regulation (ISNR). On the basis of these scientific principles, EEG biofeedback was determined to be "probably efficacious" for the treatment of ADHD. Although significant clinical improvement was reported in approximately 75% of the patients in each of the published research studies, additional randomized, controlled group studies are needed in order to provide a better estimate of the percentage of patients with ADHD who will demonstrate such gains in clinical practice.

I'm not surprised, as meditation has been shown to increase dopamine levels in the prefrontal cortex and change brainwave activity as well. However, keep in mind that the effects of meditation fade quickly, so I would bet follow-up studies (of which there have been none) find the same is true here. Meaning chronic biofeedback would be needed (as the underlying problem is never "cured"), and the EEG equipment used here isn't something you pick up on eBay.

Hmmm... so what you're saying is that I can probably get my doctor to sign a note stating that I need constant videogaming to help my "chronic ADD"? Oh, there is a God! And his name is Sid Meier!

I dunno about this one.

I love vid games as much as the next guy (maybe even more) but I feel braindead after playing them.

I studied all day last tuesday and knew a ton, then I played css for about 4 hours and now I barely remember how to pee.

clownvomit said:
I dunno about this one.

I love vid games as much as the next guy (maybe even more) but I feel braindead after playing them.

I studied all day last tuesday and knew a ton, then I played css for about 4 hours and now I barely remember how to pee.

Perhaps Torgo can make a mod to help you out there... :p

Back