Video Games Are More Addictive Than Ever

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh no! Children across the country are becoming addicted to video games. It's an epidemic! Doctors across the country say you should put kids in rehab facilities as soon as possible! EVERYONE PANIC!! :rolleyes:

The result, experts say, is a steep rise in the number of parents worried that their kids are in fact addicted, or at least compulsively devoted, to the games. A residential facility called reSTART, the nation’s first therapeutic retreat devoted specifically to Internet addiction, launched a new adolescent program last month after receiving a barrage of calls from parents desperate to separate their children from video games, consoles, computers and smartphones.

They need to just bring back the automatic pause feature that all Virtual Boy games had so people can be reminded to take periodic breaks from playing videogames.

Yes, let's separate them from everything that is part of modern life because technology we never had as a kid scares us. I'm sure that won't have any negative consequences whatsoever.

Do you have any idea how many injuries are caused annually by kids addicted to football, soccer and other "sports"?

It seems the Washington Post "thinks" they are the experts on addiction. It appears they have every article under the sun on addiction.

Tell me if the majority of people have'nt a passion in one area of their life than others. I can work on my cars for hours, am I addicted. Can spend hours in the garden, am I an addict. Spend weeks on my motorcycle traveling, am I an addict. There are a few people that take things to an extreme whereby its "unhealthy". When it comes to kids early in their life, the line that has been forgotten is " spare the rod and spoil the child." "Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care" regrets many passages of his book. I think this was one of the many things that came out that started the "Political Correctness" craze that so many of us are suffering from, being pushed onto us by others.

I would sit at my 386sx or C64 and play for 8 hours straight (mom worked 2 jobs) to the point my legs went numb, still alive and kicking and healthy 30 some years later. Not saying it was ideal but its not a big deal.

I would sit at my 386sx or C64 and play for 8 hours straight (mom worked 2 jobs) to the point my legs went numb, still alive and kicking and healthy 30 some years later. Not saying it was ideal but its not a big deal.
I'm in the same boat. I had a C64 when I was 12 and used probably 8-12 hours daily (if not more) for at least 8 years. I got an Amiga at some point and used it about the same. Since that, I've had countless computers and have played more video games than I can remember. At work, I do computer related stuff all day - come home and do more. It led to a career for me - no harm done.

I got into D&D (birthcontrol) a few months ago and now I'm addicted and its hard to game when I'd rather read about classes lol

I'd say it is more "compulsively devoted" than addicted. Addicted is all these people who can't get their face out of their phone looking at all the facebook posts.

Seeing as everything harms children maybe the best option left for us is to stop having them.

I can't really disagree with the article. MMOs are pretty much designed to be addictive by following ideas that have been used throughout gambling for centuries. Though, I'm not looking at it as a bad thing by having children playing video games. Rather, the fact that games have implemented slot machines have destroyed a lot of gaming imho, as they've replaced needed skill to beat (/become better at) a game with chance (or $1.99 per spin, err, reward box).

They're in there for some fucking video games?!?!?! Have they ever sucked dick for coke?!?!?!?!?

They're in there for some fucking video games?!?!?! Have they ever sucked dick for coke?!?!?!?!?

Oh jeez. Having known someone who was in drug rehab, I know where that statement is coming from.

Oh jeez. Having known someone who was in drug rehab, I know where that statement is coming from.

Sorry to hear that. Yes, I've known my share of them too. However, that was a quote from the movie Half Baked.

Nothing like a little relativity to put things into proper perspective hey?

For five years, she and her husband, Terrence, had felt their son slipping away — descending deeper and deeper into a realm they didn’t like or understand, consumed by the virtual worlds shared by millions of strangers, all reachable through his Xbox and his computer.

From age 10 to age 15.

Maybe they've been holding back on experiencing the joys of parenting, until their son is old enough to appreciate them.

You can become "addicted" to anything....even things that are seemingly harmless, or in some cases, productive or positive things too.

Some people are addicted to working, to make money. Do they go to rehab?

Some people are addicting to working out. Do they go to rehab?

As someone else said above, addiction and devotion are different things. Anyone who thinks a video game addiction is on par with a substance abuse problem needs to stfu.

The result, experts say, is a steep rise in the number of bad parents worried that their kids are not as they would like them to be because of someone else's fault. A residential facility called reSTART, the nation’s first therapeutic retreat devoted specifically to retarded millenial problems, launched a new adolescent program last month after receiving a barrage of calls from parents desperate to find their children considering them boring.

The world is so crazy right now and everywhere you turn on TV, radio, other people are filled with doom and gloom is it really any wonder that kids would rather play video games?

Oh, think of the children!

In other news stupid people are even stupider.

1. The kid's annoying. I know I'll buy a tablet for him that will keep him busy!
  2. He's annoying me again, the tablet is not enough to get that pestolence off my back I must buy a console
  3. Finally he's leaving me alone, GREAT!
  4. Oh NO my kid is addicted to videogames! Damn you videogames! BAN VIDEOGAMES!

Back