Video Games are In the Blacksploitation Era

Do you think you can get them to agree on a right amount? :D

First we have to decide how many warriors is the right amount to decide on something like this. For that, we need the right amount of bureaucrats... It's complicated!!

For those arguing it's accurate for the time depicted, what about black Nazis?
View attachment 27797

A number of black people served in the Wehrmacht. The number of Afro-Germans was low, but there were some instances where black people were enlisted within Nazi organizations such as the Hitler Youth and later the Wehrmacht.[20] In addition, there was an influx of foreign volunteers during the African campaign, which led to the existence of a number of black people in the Wehrmacht in such units as the Free Arabian Legion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_black_people_in_Nazi_Germany

What does it mean?!?!?! TWO middle-class white males with green eyes?!?!?!?

-Lo Pan
lo_pan_demotivational_by_blackrock3-d5i8hx3.jpg

I'm confused...there is no article or link in the OP, so is this just the OP's sole opinion or what?

I'm confused...there is no article or link in the OP, so is this just the OP's sole opinion or what?
How far we have fallen, now we have clickbait threads not just articles :)

Also, let's address the OP's claim of "shoehorning in" black female characters with an afro.

Mafia 3 - Set in the late '60s when this hairstyle would be appropriate. Also, plot focuses primarily on racism with a black protagonist.

A Way Out - Also appears to be set in the late '60s / early '70s. Same reasoning as above.

Wolfenstein II - Again, set in late '60s / early '70s in an alternate timeline.

Beyond Good and Evil - Presumably a future / alternate universe game, only one where a (barely) valid argument could be made.

So yeah, unless you are completely ignorant of history, there is not much of an argument to be made here.

Either way SJWs are out in force again. Trying to destroy the livelihood of an indie developer because he doesn't agree with feminism and openly criticized that fraud sarcesian.

Either way SJWs are out in force again. Trying to destroy the livelihood of an indie developer because he doesn't agree with feminism and openly criticized that fraud sarcesian.
This is literally all it is. All he did in the past was agree with the actual concerns of Gamergate and disagreed with LW1 and now they all want litmus tests in place for game developers. Convert or die. (Where have I heard that before? :whistle:)

Who cares ??!! And why are blacks considered the only minority? The whole 'Oscars so white !black' was a disgrace, no one cares about other minorities or even mentions them.

90nnFdQ.jpg

Not exactly complaining, but think how many new games are shoehorning in stereotypical black characters. Almost always, they aren't in the slightest bit nuanced, just a cookie cutter stereotype from the 70s. Does the game industry thing so little of us?

It might be you are seeing a pattern just yourself and noting it. This is actually a form of racism also.

Like a common thing for Asians to say (I'm asian) is all white dudes look alike...(which is funny because there's an ongoing joke about Asians looking the same). But the reality is people just don't take the time individually to notice the difference. All I see the same in the people above is the hair, but clothing wise, face wise, etc...they all look different.

It might be you are seeing a pattern just yourself and noting it. This is actually a form of racism also.

Like a common thing for Asians to say (I'm asian) is all white dudes look alike...(which is funny because there's an ongoing joke about Asians looking the same). But the reality is people just don't take the time individually to notice the difference. All I see the same in the people above is the hair, but clothing wise, face wise, etc...they all look different.

hqdefault.jpg

90nnFdQ.jpg

Not exactly complaining, but think how many new games are shoehorning in stereotypical black characters. Almost always, they aren't in the slightest bit nuanced, just a cookie cutter stereotype from the 70s. Does the game industry thing so little of us?

I actually dig chicks with that hairdo and I'm white. Yes I've slept with one of them.

To be fair, the same can be said for any race. A stereotype hair for every race so who cares?

I actually dig chicks with that hairdo and I'm white. Yes I've slept with one of them.

To be fair, the same can be said for any race. A stereotype hair for every race so who cares?
If they had non-traditional hair style the claim would be "they're white washing black characters" or something similar. No matter what you do or don't do social justice will find a way to make it sound bad.

If they had non-traditional hair style the claim would be "they're white washing black characters" or something similar. No matter what you do or don't do social justice will find a way to make it sound bad.

Precisely.

Personally, I like many different things of many different types, colors, shapes, tastes, voltages, bit depths, hair-styles, functional density, frequency, tactile features, and in varying numbers. That in no way means that I need all of these criteria met in every single person, product, or artistic work that I associate with. In fact, it makes it more interesting when these things don't line up in perfect, even amounts.

Artificially leveling something typically makes it feel... ...artificial.

If someone wants a sassy / stylish black woman with a puffy hair style in their game, that's exactly what he/she should put into the game. If that same person wants an Asian character with short, straight, jet-black hair style, that's precisely what that should be there. Want a studious white nerd with mussed auburn hair? put him in there. Maybe a white guy with brown pants, handle-bar mustache, and aviator glasses? Or, mix and match all of the above or none of the above. It's not up to a group of of unrelated (to the project) people to determine what someone else has to include in their game, movie, book, etc. Artists should put what they want into their works. Not everyone has to like a piece of art. There's plenty of art that I'm not into. But I'm not telling anyone that they can't make it, or telling them how they should alter it so that it suits my sensibilities.

The fact is, people of every description exist. If I put one of the above people into a work of art, maybe my own sense of taste dictated that. For example "I like asians with jet black, straight hair, so I painted one." It's not until someone else views it that it becomes a stereotypical haircut for this sort of person. I didn't paint the picture trying to exploit that. I just happened to like it. If you have a problem with it, that's coming from your own personal views on that haircut for that person.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they're not. The comparison is kinda offensive. Blaxploitation was films made by and for the Black Population.

None of the games I ever played seems even remotely intent on representing any of this. GTA gets close to delving into that same energy. But, it still isn't on that level. And, it's still only one series.

No, they're not. The comparison is kinda offensive. Blaxploitation was films made by and for the Black Population.

None of the games I ever played seems even remotely intent on representing any of this. GTA gets close to delving into that same energy. But, it still isn't on that level. And, it's still only one series.
So let me get this straight.
A game with black characters aimed at black people is blackspoitation, therefore it's racism against blacks!
A game with white characters aimed at white people is excluding blacks, therefore it's racism against blacks!

A game with black characters aimed at black people is blackspoitation, therefore it's racism against blacks!
A game with white characters aimed at white people is excluding blacks, therefore it's racism against blacks!

Pretty sure he was responding to OP so...no, these games are not blacksploitation.

Pretty sure he was responding to OP so...no, these games are not blacksploitation.
Yes, but he said films made for and by blacks is blackspoitation. By that definition films made by whites for whites should be whitespoitation, but instead it's also somehow construed as being against blacks. There is a fundamental double standard here, I was trying to address that, regardless of the games mentioned in the topic.

Yes, but he said films made for and by blacks is blackspoitation. By that definition films made by whites for whites should be whitespoitation, but instead it's also somehow construed as being against blacks. There is a fundamental double standard here, I was trying to address that, regardless of the games mentioned in the topic.

I think he is pointing out that it's a very specific subgenre of media and isn't just a generic "stereotypical portrayal of a black person" moniker.

I think he is pointing out that it's a very specific subgenre of media and isn't just a generic "stereotypical portrayal of a black person" moniker.

No. Have you ever seen a Blaxploitation film? It's a heavily cultural influenced genre. The 70's had a very distinct vibe, but that has been absorb by people Tarantino. It isn't "racist" because its the race itself creating the content generally. It's a celebration of that subject. Even to the extremes. Ultra violence, nudity, dialog, and subject matter. Dealing with what the city dwelling class dealt with. It spoke to a particular set of people. Yes, it also deals with race relations. It's a very real genre of filmmaking. I personally love it.

Yes, if White People made a genre of film celebrating their race, it would technically be "Whiteploitation." We have examples of that with films like, Birth of a Nation, that tends to be "racist." Still, no one will ever really classify that because we celebrate ourselves all the time, even if unintentionally.

Still, "Ploitation" films exist in multiple subgenres. Sexploitation, Grindhouse, etc...

The argument I'm making is against the OPs definitions. Having Black People with Afros in your product does not make it Blaxploitation. That's where I find the offense because it completely belittles a whole entire genre down to a hair style.

Again, GTA is the closest I say games get to getting that energy. Even then, it doesn't really truly qualify.

No. Have you ever seen a Blaxploitation film?
Yes, and I liked them. But they were heavily criticized by the pc people, because you guessed, it portrayed stereotypical black characters. The issues seems to be the same here.

Who's the cat that won't cop out, when there's danger all about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and I liked them. But they were heavily criticized by the pc people, because you guessed, it portrayed stereotypical black characters. The issues seems to be the same here.

I consider "PC People" to be incredibly anti-intellectual. I know a few in my day to day. They tend to de-legitimize a whole sect for whatever narrative they wish to portray. Still, calling these "stereotypes" is dismissive. As, the genre itself was deeper than that. It was real. That's the important distinction. I have a problem when people try to belittle it into a dismissive use of "stereotypes."

Yeah I don't think you could either in the first game but that was the driver mantra in the game, you never get out of the car. Part of the story line.

Yeah I don't think you could either in the first game but that was the driver mantra in the game, you never get out of the car. Part of the story line.

Ah, yeah...been a long time, didn't remember that. :)

Back