Video Game Synched To Home Lighting from Philips

HardOCP News

[H] News
These lights would be way cooler if they were compatible with more than just one game.

Royal Philips, the global leader in lighting, and Frima Studio Inc. (“Frima”), Canada’s largest independent game developer, are proud to announce the integration of Phillips Hue connected lighting with the hit game Chariot. Frima is bringing immersive home entertainment to a whole new level by making Phillips Hue lighting interact in real time with the gameplay of its popular title. The enhanced Chariot game experience is now officially available exclusively on Microsoft’s Xbox One.

There's actually projects you can do with addressable LED's that tie into the video being input to the TV. Would probably look better and have a faster response time than this.

I had the Cyborg Ambx gaming lights by MadCatz, they were actually pretty dam cool and I wish they had been met with greater adoption. The effects were very good in games with specific support, like Battlefield.

Yea no kidding, it's a cool looking gimmick but anyone who's dumb enough to do it as a permanent thing will regret it greatly.

I can see that getting old fast. Personally, I'd rather invest the money in a good VR headset.

Interesting idea. Say a First person RPG where you go from the bright sunshine to a dark dank cave; the lights dim when you enter. Very atmospheric. Suppose you find a cavern full of purple and blue crystals; the colored LED paint the walls with the same colors.

But the reality is VR is about to hit, and it will be the preferred way to game first person.
This still might be cool for spectators watching the action.......

pretty cool - i'd be more interested in input from the source rather than a specific game... so it could work on anything you have on the screen. Though bright scenes on a movie making the room bright might not be the way to go :p

Phillips Hue starter Kit, $199.99, comes with 3 light bulbs.
Phillips Hue accent light $79.99, yes folks that's the flat one in the video with the colors, that's one bulb.

I'd rather put my money into getting a few more inches on my TV that I'm playing the game on.

I had the Cyborg Ambx gaming lights by MadCatz, they were actually pretty dam cool and I wish they had been met with greater adoption. The effects were very good in games with specific support, like Battlefield.

I had the original Philips AMBX kit and then the Cyborg kit which was faster and a better design.

While I'm not sure about colored lights all over the room, colored back lighting behind your screen that matches the in game scene is very immersive and, in my opinion, adds as much to the experience as NV Surround or good surround sound. It basically breaks the screen to real life barrier and makes everything feel bigger and more vivid.

The problem was that the technology was really optimized for DX9 and for specific games. The original Guild Wars, Bad Company 2 and games from that era work very well with AMBX but a lot of newer games just don't support it and Philips seemed to lose interest in the product, at least for the PC market.

It's really too bad because if there was anything I would add to my current system (NV Surround 144hz, 7.1 Surround, etc) it would be this kind of colored back lighting.

There are alternative products out there and at least one of them is completely platform independent.

I actually set up one of the Lightberry kits on my on TV setup quite awhile ago now.

It just put it between the receiver and the TV. So far it's worked with everything I've run into the receiver. FireTV, Chromecast, Xbox 360 and One, PS3, a blu ray player, and the long HDMI out I ran from my PC.

This is my setup running a bit of Aliens. Color saturation was a little low at this point, I still hadn't completely finished tweaking settings, and the lights were off alignment by about 2 inches because I rushed through setting it up, but I physically re-aligned them. It's great.

I set up another one for a buddy of mine that saw the video and said he wanted one on his bedroom setup with his consoles.

It can take some doing, especially if you're a total idiot when it comes to Linux like I am but it's not so complicated you can't just do some googling and figure things out if you have any issues.

Interesting idea. Say a First person RPG where you go from the bright sunshine to a dark dank cave; the lights dim when you enter. Very atmospheric. Suppose you find a cavern full of purple and blue crystals; the colored LED paint the walls with the same colors.

But the reality is VR is about to hit, and it will be the preferred way to game first person.
This still might be cool for spectators watching the action.......

In Battlefield when you walked through the Bazaar map the lighting would simulate the lattice work over your head. It was very subtle, seeing it out of the corner of your eye, but it added to the atmosphere imo. Corridor lighting was pretty cool too.

Back