Video Game Link To Psychiatric Disorders Suggested By Study

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't want to be an alarmist, but all the people in this study breathe air. People with schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and Alzheimer’s disease also breathe air. That is more than enough evidence for me to conclude that video games turn kids into psychopaths. :rolleyes:

The research, published in a Royal Society journal on Wednesday, found that people who played games such as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto V and Tomb Raider were more likely to employ navigational strategies associated with decreased grey matter in the hippocampus part of the brain. Decreased volume in the hippocampus has been associated with disorders such as schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and Alzheimer’s disease.

Here's the thing: We're so used to telling ourselves that this isn't true--that if science ended up bringing a preponderance of credible evidence that it is in fact the case, I predict a tobacco-industry level of denial and shilling would ensue.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but all the people in this study breathe air. People with schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and Alzheimer’s disease also breathe air. That is more than enough evidence for me to conclude that video games turn kids into psychopaths. :rolleyes:
Agreed. The study uses a long-winded logical fallacy to come to its conclusion. Also: n=59 in this "study."

Funnily enough, a couple of scientific contributors for The Guardian posted an editorial fairly quickly that points out everything wrong with it.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...nk-between-video-games-and-alzheimers-disease

From the article:
By questioning the participants, the researchers examined whether they tackled the virtual reality task using a spatial or response learning strategy. A spatial strategy involves building relationships between landmarks in an environment and relies on the hippocampus. By contrast, a response strategy entails learning a series of movements (eg left and right turns) from given positions that act as stimuli, so that they become part of the procedural memory system, not involving conscious thought.

So in a VR environment gamers had a learning strategy that made navigation part of procedural memory. Like they were memorizing a map or something, imagine that?

Gamers treat VR simulation like a game...film at 11.

Or maybe, as game players they used a response strategy because that's what works best in most games. The test was virtual, I.E. like a game. They didn't test the subject's brains, therefore their conclusions are not supported by anything. It's amazing they managed to get this crap published. Wait, this article doesn't even say where it was published. That's a big red flag to me.

Or maybe, as game players they used a response strategy because that's what works best in most games. The test was virtual, I.E. like a game. They didn't test the subject's brains, therefore their conclusions are not supported by anything. It's amazing they managed to get this crap published. Wait, this article doesn't even say where it was published. That's a big red flag to me.

The Royal Society Proceedings B.

Its a legit study albeit leading to a flawed reasoning unless you actually were going to test grey matter.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/282/1808/20142952

Everyone who has ever eaten broccoli has died or will eventually die.
That's all the scientific proof I need to see that it's unhealthy and that why I'll never eat broccoli :)

FACT! Prove me wrong. Pro-tip: You literally can't.
PiratesVsTemp.png

They didn't make that claim. They showed that FPS players navigate in a way that's associated with older people, including those with dementia. It specifically says they don't know if there's a link between these games and those diseases.

Here's the thing: We're so used to telling ourselves that this isn't true--that if science ended up bringing a preponderance of credible evidence that it is in fact the case, I predict a tobacco-industry level of denial and shilling would ensue.

Pretty much this.

With what we know so far about brain plasticity; what you do and what you think does affect your brain development. So it's pretty safe to say gaming, like any activity, affects your brain.

To what degree is the question.

They need to do a follow-up study with a real-life scenario. This is actually pretty interesting at face value, even if the conclusions drawn are kind of precipitous: "gaming will give you Old-timers!"

PiratesVsTemp.png

(psst, anomalous surge of piracy post-2000 has done nothing to quell global warming :p )

One point they totally avoided is 'who completed the maze faster'. So the whole study results could be summed up as 'Different is different'

If you want to talk about the mental-health affects of video games, talk to me first about the unwritten and unspoken 21st Century Expectation that all of us need to be instantly available at any time, day or night, via cellular communication. That we answer those calls or return them promptly, that we answer that text, or respond to that tweet.

That fucks people up. Call of Duty has probably saved more people from going postal that it ever created....

If you want to talk about the mental-health affects of video games, talk to me first about the unwritten and unspoken 21st Century Expectation that all of us need to be instantly available at any time, day or night, via cellular communication. That we answer those calls or return them promptly, that we answer that text, or respond to that tweet.

That fucks people up.

I think the word you're looking for is "stress".

That fucks people up. Call of Duty has probably saved more people from going postal that it ever created....

Until people insist that they're not on call 24x7 that will continue. I made it clear to my employer that I don't carry my work phone if I'm not working (unless I'm on call).

I know my employer played the "we're giving you a phone" to which I responded you're welcome to take it back.

People were psychopaths before the last 25 years of video games. Teens are already psychopaths by nature until they grow up and mature (if ever).

PiratesVsTemp.png

People are responsible for global warming.
Reproduction is easier in safe environments
Pirates on the High seas is representative of a non safe environment
Less Pirates indicates safer environment
safe environment means more reproduction of people
more people = higher temperature

QED,

Back