Video Game Inspired Crime Spree

HardOCP News

[H] News
Once again GTA is being blamed for real world violence. A handful of kids are actually trying to blame their actions on video games.

"It was determined that they were emulating the character in that Grand Theft Auto game, going on a crime spree" using weapons and tactics inspired by the controversial video game, said Det. Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau police spokesman.

Crap like this makes you wish video game developers would sue the criminals for poorly impersonating their games. Obviously they suck at crime, life and in this case, haircuts (see photo of suspect)…surely society should be able to preemptively file a lawsuit against them barring these idiots from ever playing video games.

A few things bug me:

Why is it assumed kids are emulating games? Not TV, not movies…not the 6 o’clock news…games.

One suspect used a crowbar…no one sued Valve. If it was really just “violent games” causing this…any crime with a crowbar would be blamed on Half-Life….the greatest crowbar-as-a-weapon-game ever,

Now, if these idiots were all dressed like Mario and Luigi and they ran around jumping in and out of sewer pipes on mushroom, they might have a case. :p

If the kids are that stupid then they probably would've ended up in the slammer regardless of whether they're influence by games. They fail at life.

People who do crime should do the time. Copping out and blaming videogames or other entertainment is just foolish.:mad:

maybe in the next GTA, the should give the player the option of blowing his own head off before going on a crime spree. :rolleyes:

They probably just mentioned GTA hoping they would maybe start up another controversy and slide out of this one. Seems like its kinda working so far.....

They probably just mentioned GTA hoping they would maybe start up another controversy and slide out of this one. Seems like its kinda working so far.....

QFT Some people just need to stop reproducing. I seriously think having babies should be licensed like in Starship Troopers... I don't know who's worse, the stupid kids who pull this crap or the stupid people who buy into it being the fault of violent video games.

When they do end up in prison, the judge can so easily ban them from playing video games if this is the result of what it does to them (supposedly :)).
What fun they will have lol.

I say ban them from playing video games for life and ban them from entering any store or house that has a console or games for demo or sale :D
Its not enforceable but it would make me laugh.

The judge should just say, "oh yeah? Well I am going to emulate another video game and have you all shot! Game over! pwned!!"

Looks like another typical case of deadbeat parents to me. I mean 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 years old. The parents should be responsible for all damages and they should be the ones serving the jail time, after all they raised these fools to where they are now.

Oh the trouble I got into as a kid after watching the movie "A Clockwork Orange".

Punks don't need a reason to be punks. They just are.

someone make a game about killing lawyers and scapegoaters.

Agreed. Instead of "Teens go on violent rampage", it's "Cops: Video game inspired crime spree". Pity the cops didn't get them to confess to the conversation they had before they started attacking people where they all agreed to blame GTA if they got caught.

Oh the trouble I got into as a kid after watching the movie "A Clockwork Orange".

Punks don't need a reason to be punks. They just are.

:eek: Holy cow DEJAL!?!?!!?? I am afraid to ask!!!!! With Clockwork Orange.

Hey, did they not blame Catcher in the Rye for John Lennon's killing? I guess they should ban books too.

Oh wait, they already tried that.

Man, when will they learn that idots dont need a reason the be. They just are, like DEJAL said.

One more time...

This is what a 'tard looks like

moz-screenshot.jpg
40412123.jpg

One day, when I just don't give a damn anymore, I should go out by trying and kill everyone with water, successfully pull it off so ingeniously that it inspires retarded teenagers to imitate it, and then see if the government will ban water due to ever increasing pressure from equally retarded parents..

yeah a friend of mine after a 48hour WoW marathon, got out a pick-axe and started trying to mine my loungeroom wall for minerals then flapped his arms around and pretended he was a dragon for 30 minutes... videogames.. they just mess with your head

ahh.. ri ght thread this tiem :D

Anyone else find his name accurate? :D ;)

Damn, beat me to it. As soon as I clicked the link I almost fell out of my chair.:D
Thats pronounced A-tard your honor. Not to be confused with at-ard...LOL Looks like he shaved the sides a little to close and got a bit of the grey matter. He should be more careful next time. It doesn't look like he has much to spare.

Stupid kids. Retards like this make me wonder why abortions aren't made legal and more readily available:rolleyes:

People are just too quick to put blame on something else, instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

I think blame could be assigned to many sources. Video games obviously aren't the only source, but can you really say they had no play in the matter? Meh, I don't think they caused this, but it seems a little bit. . . meh whatever.

well you could blame pink floyd.. they said many years ago.. 'we dont need no education' (shit grammar by the way)... and now look now we have a bunch of uneducated morons doing stupid shit...

so blame them... and soccer mums... yeah... and zombie strippers.. corrupting out world...

FTA: "The teens told detectives they were imitating the Grand Theft Auto video game series where players steal cars, beat up other characters and score points for committing crimes, authorities said."

I really want someone to show me where my score is in GTA. I have read and heard it said over the years so many times that you get points for "(Insert GTA 'controversial' action here, like killing cops)", but I don't have a score. What gives? Oh wait. No one actually knows anything about the game except that the latest one sold more than any other entertainment release in history.

If people really wanted to stop GTA, which they don't, wouldn't they stop giving it all the tons of free ad space by covering stupid shit like this?

I'm not sure what you expect when some lads use the game GTA as an excuse for wrong doing and then a thread is made to talk about it.

This kid is too stupid to be "inspired" by anything.He probably never had an original thought of his own,so he imitated a video game.It really doesn't matter that it was a video game he chose,could have been a movie or television show.One way or another,it was inevitable he would do something stupid.He never learned about responsibility,because his parents didn't take resposibility and raise him properly.

hey at least it was the kids themselves blaming games rather than someone else presumptively doing it for them....

that's progress.....

1 big thing.. ISN'T GTA IMITATING REALITY???

Life imitating art imitating life....

i suppose next they'll blame command and conquer for the cold war XD

what came first "grand theft auto" the crime? or "grand theft auto" the game??

New law:
Using a computer game as an excuse for criminal activity = 2x sentence

Dya think that would stop them?
Probably not :D

Yes more pillars of Long Island's society representing us well...

I know I emulate the customers in the game Beer Tap every friday night. :)

When I was in 1st grade we watched the Disney movie Mary Poppins. Within a week 5 children in the class of 30+ had broken legs from "emulating" Mary Poppins by jumping off their houses while clutching an umbrella.

Honest mistake, kids that age are stupid.

There was a CSI Miami episode where a bunch of tards "got tired of playing the GTA-like game and decided to do it in real life", points and all. It was laughably unrealistic and stupid, especially when the CSI guy had to get to the next level in the game to find out where the tards were going to strike next.

With Jack Thompson soon to be relegated to the embarrassing footnote he is, I see video games being blamed for poorly raised children less and less of an issue, even though it is such a easy headline grabber.

With Jack Thompson soon to be relegated to the embarrassing footnote he is, I see video games being blamed for poorly raised children less and less of an issue, even though it is such a easy headline grabber.

Actually, I hope Jack Thompson doesn't stop hating on games/gamers. Nobody takes him seriously so it's better for everyone if he's the most vocal one as opposed to someone that's competent and can actually can sway public opinion into demonizing and/or criminalizing video games.

Back