Video editing?

pavel

Gawd
I couldn't find any threads on this topic.

I don't have exciting hardware. Dell Optiplex 3020 sff and a 120gb SSD (plan on getting a 1TB eventually) - 8gb DDR3 - plan on upgrading to 16gb (that's the max. for this computer). The gpu is a GT 1030 DDR5.

It's limited but I am planning on using Linux - so, looking at software that works in Linux - lots of them, do.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

I hope to buy an Intel Alder Lake (want) or AMD 5600x/5800x (2nd choice) before the end of the year (summer, maybe). I will look at prebuilts, too - depending on the gpu situation. A 1660 Super is pretty expensive and overpriced here. I think the RX 6600 XT is available at overinflated prices but Nvidia is recommended for video editing, right? I hope to get a 3060 Ti but prices will probably be too high and the prebuilts often have the previous generation of cpu/mobo in them.

I am looking at OpenShot, Shotcut, Kdenlive, Olive and of course, Davinci Resolve - but, my current hardware is rather weak to say the least.

Any anecdotes from software you have used or tried? Thanks IA.

Video editing is very broad term. For instance, I record from digital broadcast sometimes and then I cut out the ads, this is [basic] video editing, and this requires no video stream processing. Therefore no need for any computing power. I use Avidemux for this, BTW. But then again, I love old movies, sometimes I go "hunting" and get some torrents. This is different, I try my hand on improving them. But again, this is mostly CPU oriented, only final H.265 encoding is done in hardware. What kind of task you think requires expensive graphics hardware besides encoding? Regarding software, I think some Cinelerra fork out there is up to date and usable, too.

Back