Video Editing for DVD, is it the software or something else

Trepidati0n

[H]F Junkie
I have a plextor type capture device + WinDVD crreator 2.x (i'm not going to upgrade ill I understand this problem) and a NEC burner

1. The mpeg files I make from the VHS tape come out very nice. They play on my computer just fine though even huge monsters (4GB files are not fun). I capture at max quality. The raw source lands up being about 6GB for 2 hours (4GB first file is about 1.2 hours of content).

2. The burning portion seems to work correctly if I have another program make the DVD files (when I convert DIVX to DVD).

3. However, when I author a disc with WinDVD creator 2.x it lands up going on pixelated after about 10 seconds then locks up my stand alone DVD player as well as my neighbors.

So the question is, is it WinDVD creator making me coasters with the authoring conversion or is it something else. Thanks in advance.

I tried out Adobe Premier Element...and after than wonderful 3 hour conversion..I achieved another coaster. i'm still confused since the burner and media I have make good data discs.

WinDVD creator 2.x for me when I use it with too large a file it acts up by losing the volume :mad: but I found that by first converting it to .wmv format that this will decrease the files overall size and solve the problem.

You could also try using HJSplit to split the file to equal parts that are smaller.

Did a bit more digging. I tried premier elements and nero. They all generate the same problem. The good news is that I found out that it is just bascially the first part of the disc that is "wonky". If i go to the next chapter (about 15 minutes in) the disc is a lot more stable (less player lockup). If I got to 30minutes or more in....no issues what so ever (fast forwards nicely). I'm burning at the slowest speed...but that doesn't help.

I'm going to get some new media (the 1/2 bolt I had is about 2years old) this afternoon. If the issue is still there, i'll buy a new burner and see what happens (can't remember what I have offhand). I'm sorta glad that my capture device isn't crap.

I'm also very pleased with the NERO product for what i'm doing. All i'm doing is taking VHS tapes and putting them on DVD and just wanted a simple menu with chapters every 15 minutes. NERO does this very nicely IMO. Not as powerful as a dedicated product...but I don't need the power.

Thanks for the previous posters help.

Back