Video Displaying "Washed Out" when streaming video

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
This problem is happening on all of my machines. They have Windows XP SP1, Windows XP SP2, and Windows 2000 SP4.

I've tried installing and re-installing the respective OS's on each machine and they all have the same problem each time.

What happens is that streaming video plays, but it is washed out. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that it's displaying the video in 256 or 16 color mode. However, if it's a real MPEG or such, and I download it, it plays just fine. Full colors and everything.

I though that it might be a media player thing, but I recently tried watching a RealVideo stream and had the exact same problem with it.

Anyone heard of this problem before and know how to fix it?

My codecs are as follows:
QuicktimmAlternative 1.43
RealAlternative 1.33
FFDshow 20020617
the latest DivX official (just grabbed it from the site)
Xvid 160705

And that's it. Like I said, downloading and watching a video works fine. However, "streaming" it causes the problem

Incidentally, I tried watching an MPEG movie that was being hosted on the web. If I told my browser (opera) to try to view the video in place, the problem occured. However, if I downloaded the video and then watched it, it worked fine. What's interesting about this is that in this case, "watching in place" for Opera means that it downloads it and then hands it off to the video player. Strange that it's occuring that way, at least to me.

Thanks for any insight.

yup, doing it in IE as well.

Incidentally, I started playing around and fixed it. I'm kinda in a rush right now and just checking the [H] between errands. I'll explain more later, but suffice it to say that it was an issue with brightness/contrast/gamma for 'overlay' content (that is, video) rather than desktop content (everything else).

svet-am said:
yup, doing it in IE as well.

Incidentally, I started playing around and fixed it. I'm kinda in a rush right now and just checking the [H] between errands. I'll explain more later, but suffice it to say that it was an issue with brightness/contrast/gamma for 'overlay' content (that is, video) rather than desktop content (everything else).

Let me guess, using the latest nVidia drivers? It's a known bug, and resetting the overlay settings back to default is the way to fix it, so you should be good.

Back