Video Conversion Software

So I'm looking for a really good but not terribly expensive video converting software. I need to be able to convert MKV to AVI or any other format that works on the on the Xbox 360. Any Suggestions ????

OH and i was wondering if anyone knew what formats are compatible to play on the 360 ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful rreplies:D

The 360 can play back DivX / XviD, providing you can connect to LIVE for the codec.

The 360 can play back DivX / XviD, providing you can connect to LIVE for the codec.

I know that like MPEG and AVI (DivX/Xvid) works but I'm trying to get some of the anime I got, i.e; Cowboy Bebop which is in .MKV. and I have another Video in .OGG, and xbox doesn't seem to support those formats so like i said in my OP, i need a recommendation on a Good but not hella expensive Video Converter that will allow me to convert the above mentioned formats to xbox compatible formats.

You might give Handbrake a try. It's got presets for Xbox, etc and it works really well. Don't know about converting OGG files specifically but it's worth a shot.

Whoa, hold on.

You do NOT want to transcode the video if you don't have to. Unless of course you like killing the IQ...

http://xenonmkv.ev98.net/

You're welcome. ;)

Its designed to do exactly what you want. Its only the Matroska container that the Xbox doesn't like. This app just repackages the video stream into a compatible MP4 container and down-mixes the DD/DTS audio into 2 channel AAC that is compatible with H264 on the Xbox.

List of supported video formats for the Xbox360.

1. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for AVI? Xbox 360 supports the following for AVI:
· File Extensions: .avi, .divx
· Containers: AVI
· Video Profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2, Simple & Advanced Simple Profile
· Video Bitrate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30fps. See question number 11 for more information.
· Audio Profiles: Dolby® Digital 2 channel and 5.1 channel, MP3
· Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 11 for more information.

2. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for H.264?
Xbox 360 supports the following for H.264:
· File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
· Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
· Video Profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to Level 4.1) profiles.
· Video Bitrate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See question number 11 for more information.
· Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
· Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 11 for more information.

3. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for MPEG-4 Part 2?
Xbox 360 supports the following for MPEG-4:
· File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .mov
· Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
· Video Profiles: Simple & **Advanced Simple Profile
· Video Bitrate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30fps. See question number 11 for more information.
· Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)

4. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for WMV (VC-1)?
Xbox 360 supports the following for WMV:
· File Extensions: .wmv
· Container: asf
· Video Profiles: WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in simple, main, and advanced up to Level 3
· Video Bitrate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See question number 11 for more information.
· Audio Profiles: WMA7/8, WMA 9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA lossless

Virtualdubmod should be able to do it. Avi-mux might do what you want too, depending on the original file's codecs.

Back