Video Conferencing help?

boss99

2[H]4U
Do we have any video conferencing experts out there?

Basically, we have some Tandberg MXP endpoints at geographically diverse areas with connections that range from 500Mb Gigaman circuits and as little as a full T1 at others. We are looking at possibly increasing some of the sites lacking in bandwidth with an additional T1, but that's besides the point.

When we tested 1 endpoint calling another via their IPs and everything set to auto, it was gorgeous. There were no drops, it was like watching an HD TV show. All this and it didn't bump up the bandwidth usage for the site to any noticible levels.

When we tried adding a 3rd site, it was HORRENDOUS. My motion took about 2-3 seconds before it appeared to the other guys. The voice seemed to be okay. When we were monitoring the usage stats on the endpoints, the voice remained constant at around 63-64Kbps. The video was fluctuating wildly.

That being said, are there any really good resources anyone knows of that can learn me some video conferencing? I don't have much confdence in the knowledge we have in house and I want to read up on what exactly I'm getting into. Thanks for any help!

What speeds do you have at these locations? What resoution were you trying to run everything at when you brought the 3rd location on?

I was at a Cisco sales pitch several months ago for the Tandberg endpoints, along with their conference room solutions. They told us we needed 5 Mbps for 1080i ...

I know the other issues was regarding the hardware configurations, and how they were setup to handle single and/or multiple video conferences.

If site one to site two works well but site one, two, and three have issues; how is it if you do just site one to three or site two to three?
Basically is it specific to the inclusion of a site or the increase to three sites.

Try going fixed bandwidth my Polycom equipment can do 720p at 1mbps just fine.

Also I assume you have multipoint enabled on your units and are not using a video bridge?

Back