Video Cards and Laptops

Fire488

Limp Gawd
I own the Gateway P-7811FX Laptop as recommended by [H] a few years ago. It still runs very well and can play most games as well. It does lag a bit on BF BC2 and ArmA2. I know the newer games will only be getting more and more hardware intensive as time moves head. I currently have the nVidia GTS 9800M vid card in the laptop now and I have been looking high and low to find an upgrade to replace it. It appears that when you need to get a better vid card you need to get a better laptop. I hope that is not true, but it appears that way. If anyone knows why this is the case or where I can buy laptop vid cards please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

It's generally true that if you want faster gaming performance in a laptop, get a new laptop. The main reasons as to why laptop GPUs are not upgradeable are the following:
- There's no widespread standard GPU format
- The standards that do exist don't necessarily fit well with other laptop designs.
- The cost of the mobile GPUs themselves is fairly high.
- The costs of implementing the ability to upgrade GPU is also fairly high
- The market for gaming laptops in general is fairly small.

Hey haven't I seen you somewhere before??? LOL
What's up man?
I figured that, but thanks for the info.

yea theres MXM setups, some flipped etc

My Asus had a flipped MXM II setup and the only video card that could fit was the 6600 go, no other card. It had to be the Asus one because it was flipped. The card was like $400 last year so I didn't bother replacing it after it died.

But yeah cards are all different. I wish there was a universal setup that worked in everything, would make life easier

one point about your assessment on the future of PC gaming: I doubt that games are going to become significantly more resource intensive for the foreseeable future.

I think we're pretty much locked in at the current system demands until the next generation of consoles become widespread. PC only game studios are few and far between...if there are even any left now that CryTek fell off their own petard last year.

one point about your assessment on the future of PC gaming: I doubt that games are going to become significantly more resource intensive for the foreseeable future.

I think we're pretty much locked in at the current system demands until the next generation of consoles become widespread. PC only game studios are few and far between...if there are even any left now that CryTek fell off their own petard last year.

Funny thing is man, I totally know that and agree with you 100%. I am a gameserver provider and have a lot at stake in terms of the direction that Infinity Ward would like us to go. I will NOT buy their games and did not buy MW2. The max a console port can render regardless of hardware is whatever the best console can render. What a damn shame. There are some tride and true PC games out there like ArmA series, but those games are not for everyone. I support them 100%. Even though most of the games released by Valve has been console ports they have atleast been providing content and access to the files so we can mod if we want to.
Good point.

Back