video card weight ruining PCIe slots?

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
anyone have this happen?

I think the weight of my water cooled video card has ruined one of my PCIe 16 slots over time.

Every so often now I get an issue where I get no video and if I re-seat the card I get it back.

sucks...

I can't even get a new board because they don't make 1136 boards.

I would need a new CPU, new ram (I have tri channel now)..

Sounds to me like you are either dealing with oxidization or thermal creep issues.

With no airflow across the board because you are water cooling, it would not surprise me if there is more thermal expansion/contraction (which leads to what used to be referred to as chip creep) which is making you have to reseat your video card.

If you want a replacement board you can always get one off of Ebay... but probably not really worth it at this point.

In any case, since reseating your video card takes care of the problem for a while, I am pretty sure it is not the PCIe slot going bad.

i do have a side case fan that blows right on both cards.case has lots of air flow.

I am trying to make a post to hold up the back ends of the cards.

I'd also just get a replacement P6T (can from ebay new) than spend money on a new motherboard and CPU. My setup is still way more than adequate for now. I sadly see no reason to upgrade if I don't need to.

If it was thermal based it was happen a lot because it gets pretty warm upstairs where the computer is and today, it was fairly nice, low 70s. This isn't a constant issue. It pops up every few months or so. Today has just been exceptionally bad.

what I ened up doing was taking a brass gun cleaning rod, cutting two peices down, drilling a hole in the bottom of one and then using them as a brace between the bottom of the case and one card and then between both cards.

the cards have a hole in each corner so it worked out.

i dont think keepers won't work because of the way the water blocks sit

Back