Video Card Suggestion for Eyefinity?

Davido

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I'm looking into purchasing a video card for a 5670x1200(16:10) eyefinity setup. Since I have a non sli or crossfire motherboard, I'm stuck with a single card solution. I just want a card to hold me down for about a year until I decide to purchase a new computer. So its either the radeon 5850 or 5870. I would like to go the sli route but that would require me to pretty much upgrade my whole computer. My budget for an ATI solution would be between $200-$250, but I'm willing to spend between $400-$450 for a sli solution(including a new mobo). I've been trying to find a solution for the past 3 days with no luck. I currently have 3x 24in monitors waiting to be configured :confused:. What do you guys recommend for the best bang for the buck?

Please help!!!! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would personally pick the 5870. Then when you purchase a new computer, you have the option of going with a system that does both crossfire and sli. Then you have the option to purchase another 5870 for crossfire.

But the 5850 is more in your budget when it comes to a new card. I have seen some 5870s on ebay going for around $330-$350 buy it now. So that may be a possibility. You also want to consider that you'll need a DP to DVI adapter which are $30-$100 depending on if you get the passive or active adapter.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea... Would a 5870 run most current gen games maxed out? Don't really care about AA or AF atm. Also do you know of where I can find eyefinity benchmarks at 5670x1200 for this card? Thanks!

That doesn't sound like a bad idea... Would a 5870x run most current gen games maxed out? Don't really care about AA or AF atm. Also do you know of where I can find eyefinity benchmarks at 5670x1200 for this card? Thanks!

Roughly speaking expect 40-50% the performance when you go triple monitor. You'd think it'd be 33% since there are 3 times as many pixels to push, but it doesn't scale linearly like that. So look at any review of any game at 1920x1200 resolution and take 40-50% of that (more like 50-55% if you plan to do significant overclocking). That's the framerate you can expect with 5760x1200 using a 5870. For example if a 5870 scores 100 fps in a game at 1920x1200, then it will likely score 40-50 fps in the same game at 5760x1200.

They have active DP->DVI adapters for $30 coming soon that work up to 1920x1200x3 resolution.

Here is one i found, I also believe theres comparison of nvidia surround to eyefinity on hardocp. I can be mistaken but I think they compared a 460 GTX to a 5870 single and Crossfire.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/ATI_Radeon_5870_1GB_-_Featured_Review

Nice link but that's not NV Surround. That article predates Surround. They are using Matrox Triplehead2Go or something like that instead.

However the graphs show what I'm talking about when I say 40-50% of performance remains after you go triple wide.

Thanks for the info guys... So both of you think I should skip the 5850 and jump for the 5870? How much does a used one go for nowadays?? Doesn't a overclocked 5850 come really close to 5870 in performance? Also I have a display DP>DVI adapter; would it be any different from the new ones that are coming out?

I wasnt saying that article had nvidia surround, I was saying in the GPU section of hardocp theres a comparison if nv surround to eyefinity.

Heres the link for the Hardocp comparison.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/09/geforce_gtx_460_1gb_sli_vs_radeon_hd_5870_cfx/

I see.

That article by the way, has been disproven. AMD had some driver issues that made their CrossfireX broken for that article. They have since fixed it so it scales better: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/26/ati_crossfirex_application_profile_108a_performance/

Edited to add:

BFBC2 2560x1600 at highest in-game settings.

Xfire 5870 with 10.8a profiles and Catalyst 10.8 drivers: 24 min, 63.6 avg, 92 max fps. (SOURCE: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/26/ati_crossfirex_application_profile_108a_performance/ )

SLI Galaxy GTX 460 Super OC edition: 25 min 51.8 avg 73 max fps. (SOURCE: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/09/geforce_gtx_460_1gb_sli_vs_radeon_hd_5870_cfx/ )

So a highly overclocked SLI GTX 460 setup still could not match a stock-clocked 5870 crossfire setup. The gap surely widens if you highly overclock the 5870s as well.

Last edited:
I would choose the 5870 as a single card solution. For multi GPU i would go with 2 460s. From what I've seen from benchmarks SLi typically outperforms Crossfire.

Thanks for the info guys... So both of you think I should skip the 5850 and jump for the 5870? How much does a used one go for nowadays?? Doesn't a overclocked 5850 come really close to 5870 in performance? Also I have a display DP>DVI adapter; would it be any different from the new ones that are coming out?

If it's not an active DP->DVI converter than it won't work. It must be ACTIVE.

Yes an overclocked 5850 touches a stock 5870. I am actually selling my 5850 and Active DP->VGA adapter if interested ($260 shipped); it forms the heart of my Eyefinity setup. PM me if interested. I'm selling because I will likely not be doing any gaming for the next ~6 months so I'd rather just sell it now.

I would like to get an sli configuration. But my motherboard doesn't support it. If I got 2x 460gtx's I would need to purchase another motherboard.. I was recommended by another forum member that the LGA775 SLI boards suck and I'm better off upgrading to an i7. If you can find me cost effect solution, I'm all ears!

I could be wrong here but I'd go out on a limb and say (without any proof or reference) than GTX 460 1GB SLI very highly yet stable overclocked would outperform 5850 and 5870 1GB in eyefinity/nv surround. I haven't seen an article yet but nvidia has the dual card crown AFAIK. If your budget for dual nvidia is $400-$450 for an SLi solution then you may be able to get two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1077&cm_re=gtx_460_2gb-_-14-261-077-_-Product

Not sure what'll happen there as far as performance but I'd say it's a great solution for uber high end eyefinity/nv surround gaming

I could be wrong here but I'd go out on a limb and say (without any proof or reference) than GTX 460 1GB SLI overclocked would outperform 5850 and 5870 1GB in eyefinity/nv surround. I haven't seen an article yet but nvidia has the dual card crown AFAIK. If your budget for dual nvidia is $400-$450 for an SLi solution then you may be able to get two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1077&cm_re=gtx_460_2gb-_-14-261-077-_-Product

Not sure what'll happen there as far as performance but I'd say it's a great solution for uber high end eyefinity/nv surround gaming

I'd hate to repeat myself but:

Xfire 5870 with 10.8a profiles and Catalyst 10.8 drivers: 24 min, 63.6 avg, 92 max fps. (SOURCE: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...a_performance/ )

SLI Galaxy GTX 460 Super OC edition: 25 min 51.8 avg 73 max fps. (SOURCE: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...n_hd_5870_cfx/ )

So a highly overclocked SLI GTX 460 setup still could not match a stock-clocked 5870 crossfire setup. The gap surely widens if you highly overclock the 5870s as well.

Granted the dual 5870s cost way more, but they are stock-clocked as well.

If you take overclocked 5850s to be as fast a stock-clocked 5870, then the above links imply that highly overclocked 5850s in CrossfireX are faster than highly overclocked 460s in SLI (63.6 fps average versus 51.8 fps average). 5850s cost somewhat more than 460s, though.

I've been hesitant to purchase a 5850 or 5870 the last few days because deep down inside I want SLI 2x 460 gtx, but I would also need to purchase a new motherboard possibly a PSU.

^ I would also need to upgrade my motherboard =(.

Your going eyefinity with 3 monitors right, well might as well go all out. either way if 1 card is all you can handle then I'd say get the 2gb 5870 eyefinity

I'd hate to repeat myself but:

Xfire 5870 with 10.8a profiles and Catalyst 10.8 drivers: 24 min, 63.6 avg, 92 max fps. (SOURCE: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...a_performance/ )

SLI Galaxy GTX 460 Super OC edition: 25 min 51.8 avg 73 max fps. (SOURCE: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...n_hd_5870_cfx/ )

Granted the dual 5870s cost way more, but they are stock-clocked as well.

If you take overclocked 5850s to be as fast a stock-clocked 5870, then the above links imply that highly overclocked 5850s in CrossfireX are faster than highly overclocked 460s in SLI (63.6 fps average versus 51.8 fps average). 5850s cost somewhat more than 460s, though.

I was talking about eyefinity blastingcap. Got any benches for that, I know that 5870 beats 460 sli it is supposed to. Especially with the new driver profiles, Does 5850 CFX beat 460 SLi right now it's supposed to also but I'm not sure it does, Now, to be fair how does 2x GTX 480 compare to those benchmarks in the same ap vs 5870 crossfire X. I'm sure you know :D

I was talking about eyefinity blastingcap. Got any benches for that, I know that 5870 beats 460 sli it is supposed to. Especially with the new driver profiles, Does 5850 CFX beat 460 SLi right now it's supposed to also but I'm not sure it does, Now, to be fair how does 2x GTX 480 compare to those benchmarks in the same ap vs 5870 crossfire X. I'm sure you know :D

I don't keep track of CrossfireX or SLI benches much, since I strongly favor single-GPU solutions. If you care about this topic, why don't you find some yourself and post them here for your and others' benefit?

GTX 480 SLI costs how much again? I corrected an error and talked about the caveat (somewhat higher performance, but somewhat higher price). I have no real interest in SLI or Xfire discussions...

I don't keep track of CrossfireX or SLI benches much, since I strongly favor single-GPU solutions. If you care about this topic, why don't you find some yourself and post them here for your and others' benefit?

GTX 480 SLI costs how much again? I corrected an error and talked about the caveat (somewhat higher performance, but somewhat higher price). I have no real interest in SLI or Xfire discussions...

Granted dual 480GTX cost more but performs much better. I just had to throw that back at you because you were gloating at how dual 5870 beats dual 460. Yes it is supposed to as I said before. Dual 480 which is the competitor to dual 5870 beats 5870 hands down. Hell I could have thrown dual 470s at you and been right in more than half the possible scenarios as well. Oh and dual 470GTX cost less than dual 5870 CFX

Granted dual 480GTX cost more but performs much better. I just had to throw that back at you because you were gloating at how dual 5870 beats dual 460. Yes it is supposed to as I said before. Dual 480 which is the competitor to dual 5870 beats 5870 hands down. Hell I could have thrown dual 470s at you and been right in more than half the possible scenarios as well. Oh and dual 470GTX cost less than dual 5870 CFX

Sorry if I sounded like I was gloating but I wasn't, I was just correcting an error. People are STILL comparing benches when it's been known for a while now that Cat 10.7 drivers broke Crossfire in 58xx cards. To be fair about it, ya gotta compare Cat 10.8/10.8a profiles vs. SLI. Frankly all of this stuff I care little about, I was here to talk about Eyefinity, not SLI vs. Crossfire. I would rather have a single GTX 480 rather than dual GTX 460s, if you want to know how much I favor single-GPU, despite the latter being faster than the former. Unless I wanted Surround/Eyefinity of course. Currently the only way to have tri-monitor with a single card is AMD. I hope this changes.

Sorry if I sounded like I was gloating but I wasn't, I was just correcting an error. People are STILL comparing benches when it's been known for a while now that Cat 10.7 drivers broke Crossfire in 58xx cards. To be fair about it, ya gotta compare Cat 10.8/10.8a profiles vs. SLI. Frankly all of this stuff I care little about, I was here to talk about Eyefinity, not SLI vs. Crossfire. I would rather have a single GTX 480 rather than dual GTX 460s, if you want to know how much I favor single-GPU, despite the latter being faster than the former. Unless I wanted Surround/Eyefinity of course. Currently the only way to have tri-monitor with a single card is AMD. I hope this changes.

I would have to agree, I prefer a single gpu as well. I like idea of multi-gpu but the technology is still some what premature.

But to get back to the topic I think a 5850 or 5870 would be the best solution. Don't need to worry about getting a new motherboard or PSU.

Oh yeah, there are still a few morons praising that 460 SLI is better than 5850 and 5870 CFX but that is not what I was referring to. But just so your aware, or you may need to be reminded it wasn't cat 10.7 that broke the crossfire scaling it was way back to cat 10.5 - 10.6. I was talking about multi monitor eyefinity 2x 460 1gb overclocked vs 2x 5870 1gb stock. AMD has serious driver issues and they are finally starting to iron them out. Most Hardcore people who know what they are doing were using 10.4a when the whole hardocp article came

I've read in several places that SLi does surround gaming scaling much more efficiently

Oh yeah, there are still a few morons praising that 460 SLI is better than 5850 and 5870 CFX but that is not what I was referring to. I was talking about multi monitor eyefinity 2x 460 1gb overclocked vs 2x 5870 1gb stock.

I've read in several places that SLi does surround gaming scaling much more efficiently

My bad then, I misinterpreted. I haven't read anything about surround scaling better but would be curious to hear more about Surround scaling, despite how I favor single-GPU and how NV hasn't said it'll make Surround available with single-GPU setups. I mean, every man has his price, and I could be bribed to go multi-GPU with a $300 dual-GF104 board. :)

I ended up settling for a single 5870 for $320 shipped. Hope I made the right choice... Thank you for everyone's help!

Thats not a bad choice, just research the screen flicker. For me i had to set a profile where memory clock stays at 1200, and disable hardware acceleration to get rid of it.

But as far as performance in games I have no complaints.

Back