Video card sizes. When will they shrink?

Jorenm

n00b
They just seem to keep getting bigger and bigger. I'm worried that when I'm ready to upgrade from my 8800gt I won't be able to find anything that fits.

Normally I would just upgrade my case, but I love my http://www.vinster.com/ case, and there's nothing remotely comparable to switch to.

None of the current cards I might look at buying will fit. GTX280, HD4850x2, both enormous.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

I think as long as they stay within the atx mobo size I have no issues about size, whatever is needed to cool effectively.

Video cards are getting smaller, if you compare the cards with the same performance. 6800 Ultra is big, 7600 GT is smaller with about the same performance as the 6800 Ultra, 8500 GT is even smaller compared to the 7600 GT and yet has about the same performance.

HTML:
Video cards are getting smaller, if you compare the cards with the same performance. 6800 Ultra is big, 7600 GT is smaller with about the same performance as the 6800 Ultra, 8500 GT is even smaller compared to the 7600 GT and yet has about the same performance.

I've noticed this trend as well, but the most recent die-shrink product refresh (gtx 285) didn't get any smaller at all.

6 series to 7 series was architectual change, as was 7 to 8. GTX280 to 285 was only a die shrink, no major architectual differences.

Well I was able to get a 9800GTX into my Antec Super Lanboy.

fnl09_23.jpg

fnl09_26.jpg

fnl09_29.jpg

fnl09_30.jpg

So I think this case still has a ways to go. :)

well, a 4850 is as powerful as a 3870x2, so that kinda shows that there will be smaller versions of things in the future.

The sizes bounce around all over the place, don't they?
The 4870/4850 are about the same sizes as the 3800's (I know the 4850 is the same as the 3850).

The 8800GTX was large, but got smaller with the 8800GT.
The GT200 will inevitably go through a refresh and get smaller, too.

Buy something like this if size is a problem.

Looks smaller then the reference cards.

Also i don't think cards will get much bigger then what atx is. Maybe someday they will be e-atx size who knows.

Well I was able to get a 9800GTX into my Antec Super Lanboy.

That's what I call cutting it close.

Buy something like this if size is a problem.

Yeah that's definitely an option. It barely seems worth upgrading though when you compare the price\performance of that card to a 4850x2.

I'm probably just going to wait a while and see what pops up. I just hope foot long cards aren't here to stay!

What I've noticed most is the issues of loosing headers, especially SATA! :eek::( Ref the pic.........Also if the hdd were oriented as was some would consider the "normal" way, you would have had to eliminate any that would be at the end of the card. At least the power headers were "up" as that would have screwed the pooch!

'Course my mATX systems are pretty much finished about veht 8800/9800 family and the single 4870 sized cards from ATI. :rolleyes:

the header issue is why most modern mobos have the sata headers mounted sideways on the edge. If that's done it becomes a moot point.

I don't think you understand how small the Vinster cases are. :)

I actually know how small mATX cases are and the Vinster is the smallest one I've ever scene with that amount of space. But I know the Antec Super Lanboy is probably the lightest and smallest ATX case that has space for 8 hdd an optical, a regular sized PSU and a 9800GTX.

If I were to go with a SFF, it would be with a Silverstone SG01.

But anyways, it'll probaly be two generations before we get a single slot < 10" video card with the power of a GTX280. I'm thinking somewhere around early 2011.

But anyways, it'll probaly be two generations before we get a single slot < 10" video card with the power of a GTX280. I'm thinking somewhere around early 2011.

I doubt it will take that long. I certainly hope you're wrong. The 4850 isn't all that much slower than a gtx 280 and it's not too huge.

I doubt it will take that long. I certainly hope you're wrong. The 4850 isn't all that much slower than a gtx 280 and it's not too huge.
on average the gtx280 is about 50% faster than a 4850 so I would not call that small.

I'm hoping the 40nm cards will help the physical size.
I don't want to get rid of my Super Lanboy case.

40nm will half the size of the GPU. GDDR5 will half the number of ram chips. The last time nv halved the GPU size in a die shrink we got the 8800GT, roughly as fast as teh old flagship but a single slot design.

40nm will half the size of the GPU. GDDR5 will half the number of ram chips. The last time nv halved the GPU size in a die shrink we got the 8800GT, roughly as fast as teh old flagship but a single slot design.
isnt 40nm just 28% not 50% smaller?

40nm is 37% of 65nm. So it's 2.6x smaller if you wanna look at it that way.

OP: cards are always shrinking. You can get a low-profile, single slot card for a pittance today that's much faster than your double slot monsters of yester-year.

40nm is 37% of 65nm. So it's 2.6x smaller if you wanna look at it that way.

OP: cards are always shrinking. You can get a low-profile, single slot card for a pittance today that's much faster than your double slot monsters of yester-year.
talking about going from 55nm to 40nm. that should be a little over one fourth smaller not half the size like he said.

.......If I were to go with a SFF, it would be with a Silverstone SG01.

Those are nice have a patially modded one "hidding" in the attic. With the psu located over the cpu area it openned up more area for a GPU than my two MicorFlys. Let's just hope that it will be sooner than 2011 for those that can afford one! ;) However as stated earlier die shrink is only one of many parts that make up the unit. Unitl something can be done about "the other stuff" actual pcb size won't change much. :(

I have to overcompensate in every way possible so i like the big cards.

nothing better than a huge card to tri sli with to max out my 3dmark score. Soon you will be able to Benchpress and Benchmark with the cards...............yeah that was lame but best a none funny person can do.

I really want to see GPU sizes shrink..
But first they need to get faster =p

Process size is linear, die size is area. To calculate the savings you need to square of the difference in process size. Every part gets roughly 1/3 shorter and 1/3 narrower. (40*40)/(55*55) = 53%.

If you're confused, use it with numbers at a size you can easily visualize. Going from a part that's 2x2" on a 2 inch process to the same part made on a 1" process you get a new part that's 1x1". (1*1)/(2*2) = 1/4th as large.

Back