Video card repair? Really messed up my 9800 Pro

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
Alright this is the gist of it. I while ago I put my 9800 Pro in. Then like a year later, I was pulling it out and I somehow *forgot* the proper way to remove the power cable. There is a connector ON the video card, and that connector goes to the actual detachable connector. I tried my hardest to pull off the connector ON the video card.

This is what I tried my hardest to pull off.
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg100r/fubar_9800.jpg

So once I realized what an idiot I was, I put the card back in to see what happened. The fan no longer spun. Slowly over another year it got looser and looser and now, I can't even boot up a computer with that card in it. It just says the 9800 Pro power connector is not connected. Please connect it.

I'm fairly sure the brown burn marks are from the electrical tape I put on it trying to keep it booting.

Well, it IS connected as far as I know. But it doesn't work. I bought this card from Tyan and they can't fix it. They don't even do video cards anymore.

I don't know what to do =( Is it fixable? Anyone help?

Should be totally fixable, 10 minute soldering job max.

Go buy the $20 soldering station and a small package of solder from Radio Shack. It will be worth the cost for this project and any future messes you get into... trust me, I been there maaaaany times. :D

Oh and the brown mark is definately not from the tape, you can see that the red wire is scorched too. This is probably from the loose connection 'arcing' on any movement of the case while it was powered on and the connection was being held together by tape.

Even if you cant soulder, you can get it done cheap at any repair store.. expect $20 or less.

What kind of repair store? I'm not sure where to look here.

But thanks for the advise. This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Back