Video Card Recommendation! ($450 Budget)

ParkyRFC

n00b
Hi folks! I'm in the process of buying parts for a new set-up! At the moment I'm having trouble choosing a graphics card. There's so many which have encouraging reviews.

My budget is £290 which I believe is around $450 US.

Don't care whether it's Nvidia or ATI just wan't good value for money. Any suggestions/recommendations would be most welcome, thanks.

You may be willing to spend 290 pounds but prices don't translate evenly.

Wait till the 7970 comes out next week and see how it affects the prices of 6950's, 6970's, GTX 570's, and GTX 580's.

Wait till the 7970 comes out next week and see how it affects the prices of 6950's, 6970's, GTX 570's, and GTX 580's.

Thanks for that piece of advice. I won't be purchasing anything for a few weeks anyway so we will see what develops. I'm just in the process of reading reviews and trying to obtain good value for money.

I seem to be leaning towards the GTX 570 at the moment but still, any suggestions are welcome!

Which screen resolution will you be gaming at?

A 6950 2GB will cost around £200, that card has currently the best price/performance ratio. Especially if you can unlock the shaders. If you are not into that unlocking thing or want to overclock more, 6970 and 570 start at £250.

Which screen resolution will you be gaming at?

A 6950 2GB will cost around £200, that card has currently the best price/performance ratio. Especially if you can unlock the shaders. If you are not into that unlocking thing or want to overclock more, 6970 and 570 start at £250.

To be honest I have no idea. I've only just become interested in PC gaming. I'm actually replacing a 7 year old dell dinosaur so obviously it's an insane step up.

I will be using Sony Vegas a lot and rendering HD videos which have been recorded by a HDPVR.

Like the look of this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-129-MS

I can purchase that for around £270.

thats a good card.. prices should change a lot though over the next 2 weeks, well that is if Nvidia isn't retarded and decides to keep their prices way higher then they should be.

If you can wait see what a 7950 has to offer. They come around early february. Also I've got a tip of sorts that Nvidia may launch their 2 top Kepler cards in that same month. If you can't wait a GTX 580 goes for around $450 here in the states after MIR not sure out there how much you can get them for. Another good choice is dual unlockable 6950s or you can buy second hand on the FS/FT forums from the many amd people who are selling to upgrade.

I would follow his advise. Although, all of the reviews point out that the HD7970 is severely under clocked from factory which makes it a monster of a card. It should reach the UK at a price point between 325-380 pounds [depending on the mark up].

Nothing will be purchased until early February so I will get the chance to see what develops. Thanks for the feedback guys!

^--- good idea.
I purchased a 560ti 2GB on sale with MIR during the Black Friday sales to hold me over until February/March or later.

Back